Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so what pistol light can I use on a full size 40cal Walther P99? Apparently the 1913 rails were thought about, but the trigger gaurd getting in the way of most modern lights wasn't. Any suggestions?

I am kind of butt hurt Walther designed the trigger gaurd like that.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
If you have the open rail the Insight Tech. M5 will fit on your P99
for the M3 apprently there is a adaptor for it to work on the open rail....

also if you have a pre 2004 with closed rails.... Umarex did make a adaptor so you can use the M5 on it....
let me know if you need more help.... I might be able to digg up some more info

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I own a tlr-1 and a m-3(somewhere). I believe the M3 fits on the SW99 correct? I fucking hate specilized lights. My new gun is post 2004, but I had the rails for my older p99 and they didn't fit lights on very well.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Walther deserves a swift boot to the head for not using a picatinny rail. I was emailing streamlight's engineer about this to see if I could put a TLR2 on my P99 with new rails.  I have yet to try it but here is the email:

It looks close to the Smith 99, but not a duplicate.  The Insight web site (they actually
manufacture the M series lights, some of which we sell) states that the M5 fits the open
rail Walther 99s.  Anything that an M5 will fit, a TLR (which we manufacture - Insight
has no connection with the TLRs) with the S&W key will also fit.  Whether they actually
tried it or if they are just assuming anything that fits the Smith will fit the Walther,
I don't know.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If walther wasn't such a good fucking gun I would set S&W on fire, and then coerce the germans to distribute through HK, or SIG.

I believe the key may fix the issue, so I am going to have the key sent to me. Cross your fingers.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
check this out
how about a surefire x200 mounted to your POST 2004 P99

I know there is other lights that will fit the 2004 plus open rail of the fullsize P99 besides the M5, and yes it takes a seperate adaptor....GG&G apparently made a adaptor for the M3 that would make the M3 fit on the P99
also you can get a Laser Devices Las/Tac2 tac light that will fit the P99

or you can just order the M5 for $105   at Cal's

·
Registered
525 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (InfernoMDM @ Oct. 02 2006,3:26)]If walther wasn't such a good fucking gun I would set S&W on fire, and then coerce the germans to distribute through HK, or SIG.

I believe the key may fix the issue, so I am going to have the key sent to me.  Cross your fingers.
Really?  I've found S&W's service on both their own guns and walthers to be 2nd to none.  The stories I hear about HK customer service sure don't make me wish they were the distributor.  If I have any complaint regarding lights and the accessory rail its that the walther designers chose to use a weaver rail instead of the picatinny rail that everyone else uses.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My P99 is a first production issue (date code KK, S/N 018XXX) that has the original, almost useless, rail.
Only the light made by Walther works on it.
I never bothered.
I'd much rather have a decent set of tritium sights!!

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Why are you all ranting off about the open rail for the P99?
S&W TSW has the same .... what about H&K.. never hear anybody complain about what you have to do there to make a light fit or how much a "H&K" light costs....

The M5 can be had for $110.... how bad is that compared to other lights...
also its about all you want on the P99... the laser on that open rail sure would not keep accuracy at all....

·
Registered
525 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (uncut @ Oct. 03 2006,4:30)]Why are you all ranting off about the open rail for the P99?
S&W TSW has the same .... what about H&K.. never hear anybody complain about what you have to do there to make a light fit or how much a "H&K" light costs....

The M5 can be had for $110.... how bad is that compared to other lights...
also its about all you want on the P99... the laser on that open rail sure would not keep accuracy at all....
Whats the open rail have to do with laser accuracy?

As to complaints about the M5: no laser option, plastic body, not a LED lamp. To me its just not what I want from a light.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Soybomb @ Oct. 03 2006,7:49)]Whats the open rail have to do with laser accuracy?

As to complaints about the M5: no laser option, plastic body, not a LED lamp.  To me its just not what I want from a light.
I have a M5 and I think the open rail is ok for a light... but thats about it...
The way the open rail is designed unless you get something that tightens via screw and pressure onto the rail it will not stay in place good enough for the laser to be accurate... let alone with recoil when shooting

and if you are looking for a laser/flashlight(also LED)... well you might just have to op for Laserdevices

and don't get me wrong.. I get your point.. but Walther is not the only pistol where you have to buy specific lights and lasers for ....

·
Registered
525 Posts
Certainly not, but the walther is better than many other guns in several other areas as well, I expect it to rise above some of the others and not require me to pay a $200 premium for a laserdevices item

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Ummmmmm
all I can say at this point is......
you just can't have it all

Also remember that this comes straight from Laserdevices site.... I am sure if you do some search you will find them cheaper elsewhere....

·
Registered
525 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (uncut @ Oct. 03 2006,12:41)]Ummmmmm
all I can say at this point is......
you just can't have it all  

Also remember that this comes straight from Laserdevices site.... I am sure if you do some search you will find them cheaper elsewhere....
The scary thing is the $200 difference is about what the "street" price is, off their MSPR it'd be like $300 or more.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright so I bought the S&W key for the TLR-1(or 2 if you own it) and it fits on my gun just fine. I will post some photos, but all you have to do is buy a TLR and then get the 6 dollar SW key and your good to go. They also have something for the SW I think a locking bar. I don't know what it does.

As for S&W's service I have my compact **** up and sent it to them 3 times and those ***** couldnt figure out what was wrong. They said nothing was wrong with it. I made a post about it. At least they were fast in response and free delivery, but how can you not know how the gun functions and see the issue.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Inferno,
Not to get too far off of the topic but what malfunction did you have with your compact? I assume you mean a P99 compact?

I have a closed rail and two open rail P99's and have been considering a light but I don't know if I can do much better than my compact Surefire...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake Starr @ Oct. 10 2006,2:49)]Inferno,
Not to get too far off of the topic but what  malfunction did you have with your compact? I assume you mean a P99 compact?

I have a closed rail and two open rail P99's and have been considering a light but I don't know if I can do much better than my compact Surefire...
Yep was the P99c

Intial issue
Go to the second page you will see the photos and the little pointy piece of metal that was sticking up.  SW semi autos have the same part(designed differnetly) sticking up on them.  They fixed the issue the second time it was sent in, or maybe it was the third, because they didn't know what they were doing.

Needless to say the issue was corrected and I have had no other issues at ALL with it.

The issue sent back to SW

A light on a weapon is 5 times more effective then a light in your hand. You can light up things with a weapons light, open doors etc without compermiseing light or control of your weapon. It's not necessary, but its easier, and more effective.

·
Registered
86 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (uncut @ Oct. 03 2006,9:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Soybomb @ Oct. 03 2006,7:49)]Whats the open rail have to do with laser accuracy?

As to complaints about the M5: no laser option, plastic body, not a LED lamp. To me its just not what I want from a light.
I have a M5 and I think the open rail is ok for a light... but thats about it...
The way the open rail is designed unless you get something that tightens via screw and pressure onto the rail it will not stay in place good enough for the laser to be accurate... let alone with recoil when shooting

and if you are looking for a laser/flashlight(also LED)... well you might just have to op for Laserdevices

and don't get me wrong.. I get your point.. but Walther is not the only pistol where you have to buy specific lights and lasers for ....
When they made the GG&G spring adaptor (just changes the place of the rail catch on the light, (not a two part mount the adaptor and mount the light on the adaptor) kind of thing I had that problem with a M6.

I lined the whole inside of the light channel, bottom and sides with stick on Velcro. Not both sides o f the Velcro, just the plastic hook part of the Velcro (not the fuzzy other half). Worked perfect and still slides off and on fairly easy. No change in zero in hundreds of rounds, without it it was pointless. The dancing dot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts