Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm wanting a light for my bedside gun. I know nothing about tactical pistol lights or light/laser. I've been reading a lot and the one that has caught my eye is the Streamlight TLR 8 light/laser. I want one for my PPQ and another for my wife's VP9 SK or HK USP compact.

Is a light/laser combo a good choice? Is this light a good choice? Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated. The TRL 7 is the same but no laser. Would you get one with the laser?

Thanks again and have a wonderful safe Xmas.

Jim D
SE Texas

BTW, I've never had nor used a pistol mounted light or laser.

Premium Member
I'm a believer in the use of weapon lights and have several Streamlight TLR1 and TLR2 units. They work great. I confess I don't do much shooting with the laser though. Nor do I use the strobe function.

Super Moderator
Weapons lights on carbines make wonderful sense.
I don't like them with pistols; the only way to search an area is to point the muzzle at it. Bad stuff happens in the dark.

Use a separate light, short, handy and powerful, with an intermittent tailcap switch. Streamlight makes good ones.
Use the weak hand with the flashlight to help support the strong hand with the gun, wrist on wrist, if shooting becomes necessary.

Moon

Registered
A light on a home defense gun isn鈥檛 a bad idea. When there鈥檚 a bump in the night grabbing your pistol with a light is quicker and easier then grabbing a flash light and pistol. Once your up and about I agree a separate flashlight is better.

I picked up this olight during a flash sale for $55. It compares very well to the streamlight but a little less. It has a quick release so once your up and going you can pop it off.

https://gun.deals/product/olight-pl...pistol-light-pl-2-valkyrie-7646-after-15-site

Registered
I have them but flashlights can do the same job. They can be helpful but you should train with them and keep researching as you are. I have night sights on a few guns too but probably wouldn't know it if I had to use any gun in an instant. Hit the the range, practice and trust your skills!

Super Moderator
Unhappily, the gun industry's success with playing 'Barbies' with ARs (and every imaginable attachment) has spread to handguns.
Just because you can attach a light to your pistol does't mean you should.
My humble opinion, but I sincerely hope others will think it over. It is muzzle discipline uber alles.

Moon

Premium Member
I don't like them with pistols; the only way to search an area is to point the muzzle at it.
Maybe if you live in a mansion. In my house if I point any light at the floor it illuminates the entire room enough for me to identify someone.

Use a separate light, short, handy and powerful, with an intermittent tailcap switch.
I think most professional firearms instructors that advocate for a weapon mounted light also recommend using a second, handheld light for peeking over furniture, around corners, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts