Walther Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any data on the durability of the P99? What is the life expectancy of the gun as per rounds fired? How about the durability of the arm under adverse conditions? How does the P99 rate compared to let's say a Sig 226 or a H&K USP? Any one have info or links to such?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Comparing my P99 9mm QA to a Glock, the build seems to be very similar in just about everything. I know the tefner finish is comprable. I'd say reliablility should match. Only unknown I can think of is the polymer in the frame but I don't see it as being inferior to the Glock either. We all know how much crap a Glock can put up with and still function and My buddy has around 5,000 rounds through his. I'm over 1000 on my P99 so far and nothing really to report but bang bang bang...

·
Registered
88 Posts
The P99 will last AT LEAST as long as a Glock.

The Glock has a polymer frame, the P99 uses polymer wrapped fiberglass.

------------------------------------------------------
I was just re-reading the Walther P99 FAQ before I posted this, and the wording is different than I remember it. Now I'm not so sure that fiberglass-reinforced polymer isn't the same as Glock's material.

Any plastics experts care to chime in?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am not sure how typical 50k is, but it is what I hope is possible. The US militairy at least used to consider the service life of their Beretta M9 to be 5k rounds, but 12 of them were test fired 20k times without a single failure (source). I have talked to a one person who claims to have around 50k through his Beretta 92FS, and another person with 40k through a Sig and I am sure if you go over to GlockTalk someone there probably had even more through a Glock.

Note: not everyone is good at knowing how many rounds have gone through thier gun.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think it all depends on how you treat a gun.

I have heard horrible horrible things happen to glocks. Ever heard about the one that sat under a dumpster for 2 years and was so rusted they couldnt pull the slide back on it?

Nope because you probably dont spend time on the glock forums much.

HK has had some horror stories to.

Just to get clarified... I heard that the P99 was co designed by a guy who helped glock enginer there guns. Glock hasnt changed its design in how long? Just a few mods, a testiment to its reliability, and maybe the urge to be frugile at the factory.

Walther has changed many of the outward design fetures to make things better and aparently. Apparently this happened with most of walthers stuff.

Needless to say I broke 20,000 rounds broke a ejector rod and the thing fired pretty damn well for being broken. Tell me how many other firearms can have the ejector rod break and work 99 out 100 shots after 20,000 rounds. (I broke it with a after market mag).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.