Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have what I'm pretty sure is a surplussed police issued German PP with correct holster and mismatched mags. I'm not a Walther guy but I collect .32s and the price was nice.

1966, proofed at Ulm. I can't read the department/state stamp under the strikethrough, but there is definitely no bottom letter.

Can someone confirm that I've read the markings correctly?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
It's a 1966 .32 cal PP, that much is for sure. Do you know any of the history of the pistol? You can give the SN on the slide and the stampings on the frame at the chamber the fingernail test to see if they are still sharp or if they are really smooth to sometimes tell if the parts have been reblued.

The .32 is a very pleasant cartridge to fire in one of these pistols. The caliber the pistol was originally designed for. Nice find. Give us a report on how it shoots. There was a recent thread regarding these coat of arms stampings. I think Dieter provided a picture of the coats for each district. If you look around you might find that thread.

Welcome to the Forum. There is a lot of information here and don't forget to look at the FAQ section up top. For some reason no one seems to see it. 1917

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dug around and found the reference material Dieter posted. It's surely a defaced Hessen marking.

The finish is original and in like-new shape, something that is pretty shocking given what every other police surplus gun I've ever seen looks like. Is this typical for German police surplus?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Martin‘s assumption is correct. It is not necessary to see more of the crest than is visible, since no other German state than Hessen placed a property mark of that shape with these crenellations in that location on PPs.

The finish is original and in like-new shape, something that is pretty shocking given what every other police surplus gun I've ever seen looks like. Is this typical for German police surplus?
Many police PP‘s were factory-refurbished some time relatively late in their service life. German police pistols were also much less severely used during the PP era, pre-late 1970s, than comparable US service sidearms, with much less required practice and full-enclosure holsters, all of which leads to unexpected levels of preservation.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
+1, except these guns were bought up resp. took in payment by Walther, reworked/refinished and mostly exported. I can't see any marking so I'm unable to tell more details of origin.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Isn't blueing in the stampings on the frame an indication of re-blueing? There seems to be an import stamp on the left side of the frame just under the slide but I can't read it. Whatever, it looks like a nice example of a PP .32. For some reason NDS didn't seem to deface their stamp. At least on the few that I have seen. 1917

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish I had a better camera - in the right light you can see where someone filled the markings (all of them) with cold blue. There are swab marks atop the blueing over the lettering. Why on earth someone would do this, I do not know, but it's not the first time I've seen it.

Perhaps someone worrying that rust would start at the raw metal exposed by stamps?

·
Registered
440 Posts
.... Whatever, it looks like a nice example of a PP .32. For some reason NDS didn't seem to deface their stamp. At least on the few that I have seen. 1917
Decommissioning the property stamps was up to the issuing agency and was apparently sometimes handled differently even within the same state.

As examples, among the more common German stamps found on guns on the US surplus market, Niedersachsen (Nds) and West Berlin (star/rosette) did not deface at all, the federal stamp BMI and Bavaria (ByP/LPBy) were crossed out, but clearly readable), Baden-Württemberg tried to completely obliterate their crest, and Rheinland-Pfalz (R-P) and Hessen were sometimes X-ed out and sometimes not.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I wish I had a better camera - in the right light you can see where someone filled the markings (all of them) with cold blue. There are swab marks atop the blueing over the lettering. Why on earth someone would do this, I do not know, but it's not the first time I've seen it.

Perhaps someone worrying that rust would start at the raw metal exposed by stamps?
Im no expert on this but my understanding that when re-blueing the frame gets dipped and reblued including the portion of the frame that loops over the chamber area of the barrel. Then, the top portion of this area gets polished with something like 80 to 100 grit emery which removes the blueing and leaves fine scratch marks running perpendicular to the bore of the barrel. The reason the stamped areas are dark is you can't easily remove the blueing down in the depression....which is why an edge of a fingernail moved back and forth across roll marks or stamps will indicate whether the edges of the marks or still raised and sharp and drag on your fingernail, or if the part has been carefully sanded for reblueing which removes any of the raised steel and leaves a smooth edge at the marks.

It doesn't really matter on a pistol like this especially if it was a factory refurbishment. If it was a '39 fairly rare collectible piece the rebluing can have a negative effect on value. Like the old car collector guys say, it's only original once. Very nice looking pistol, give us a report on how it shoots when you get a chance. 1917

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I wish I had a better camera
Cell phones can take excellent photos. I bet the small point and shoot cameras can be purchased pretty inexpensively. They were hot 10 years ago....phone cameras have all but killed them. They also take excellent pictures. 1917

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had it out to the range today. Shoots like a dream. Exceptionally accurate and after getting used to the size, very comfortable. I can see why some people would say it's a little jumpy and barky in .380 but in .32, a real gem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts