Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I posted this once before and introduced myself as a new forum member.

I didn't even see as much as a howdy how are ya, welcome to the forum.

So Hi again and just wanted to say I really like the Walther forum. I'm new to walther but have been shooting for many years. I still have a few questions.

Last April I purchased a p99c QA in 40 s&w and I am thrilled with the pistol. Accurate, comfortable and just a joy to shoot. I have found the QA trigger to be a great concealed carry set up.

1. As I said I ordered and purchased this pistol new in the box last April. However, the date code indicates it's a 2004. Is this common to have a 3 year old pistol on the shelf?

2. Having owned more than a few 1911 variants I am used to very tight slide and frame. My Walther has a slight side to side movement on the slide where as my Kimbers and Springfields have virtually none. Is this normal?

I look forward to your responses.

·
Registered
38 Posts
1. As I said I ordered and purchased this pistol new in the box last April. However, the date code indicates it's a 2004. Is this common to have a 3 year old pistol on the shelf?

2. Having owned more than a few 1911 variants I am used to very tight slide and frame. My Walther has a slight side to side movement on the slide where as my Kimbers and Springfields have virtually none. Is this normal?

1) Yes, I bought mine in June 2004 and the date code was may 2003. Since the P99 doesn't sell as well as the Glock this is common. I still see new pre-2004 P99's from time to time.

2) Yes, it's normal. Mine is the same way.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi there. :)

It's quite normal. Many polymer guns such as the Walther, Glock, and XD have some slide play... not severe, but what you've experienced. It's by design, as the tighter you make the gun, the more unreliable the action can become due to dirt and grime found outside in the playground... so, a little play = less/no jamming.

thorn

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts

Well ... howdy there and I am glad you like your P99
and yes... I just sold a P99/as .40S&W today and it was a 2004 model.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I recently purchased a CZ 75 P01 that is date coded to 2004, so no, it's not unusual, even for other manufacturers.

It all depends on whether or not that specific distributer rotates their stock, or does a most recent on the shelf, first off the shelf kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I think it also has to do with warehouse and distributor.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well thanks a heap for all the input on my questions. You all seem like a bunch of great folks and I have learned a lot here.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome Ratman, Congradulations on the new p99c, as you have found out, great gun. I too am fairly new to the WaltherForums. You will find a very knowledgable core group of guys here willing to help out when they can. I have a first generation full size p99 .40 with the AS trigger. I had a rear site detent spring issue with it, and thats how I found this site. Issues were resolved. I still visit on a regular basis, as I have learned a lot about the different variations of the p99 and its workings. I think you will get a lot from the good people here. Enjoy that new Walther.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Welcome Ratman, Congratulations on the new p99c - safe shooting! Great folks and info here so Enjoy!

Dude - Oliver, ya sold your 99as?!?! I smell something cooking here...hmmmm, new purchase...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Welcome ratman. I too just purchased a P99C AS this past wednesday. Bought late in 2007 but is date coded 2006. While not as extreme as your date difference, I think it's common. Glocks and 1911s just aren't dated so nobody notices. Yes, slid play is common on all "plastic" pistols i've ever owned. Enjoy your new little buddy!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I too am pretty new to this forum and I hate to ask a question probably asked many times before, however do I tell the year of birth of my pistol? I have a Walther P99 AS 40 cal S&W, OD color, made in Germany, has the ski hump trigger guard and that I think is a 2003 or 2004. There are no alphabetical letters just "six numerals". I looked on the target that was in the original box and it showed no dates so no help there. Surely there is a teaching letter on year of birth somewhere. Appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Using a magnifying glass, I found and can now see the very small letters "AD" located by the light rail and adjacent to the tiny German Eagle seal over N. Using what you all have shown me, the letters AD would be 2003. My thanks anyway to all.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! I'll add a little to what Thorn said about looseness=less jams/malfunctions. It also affects accuracy. The looser the slide, the less accurate the weapon tends to be. Thats why super accurate 1911's tend to be really tight, but may not be the best choice for a carry gun. I also think that's why many people believe the P99 is superior to its Smith cousin, the SW99, as I've noticed my Smith is much looser than my Walther.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hot off the press

My 99AS .40 is on backorder so mine should be "hot off the press". In fact, I'm #5 on the waiting list for my local store. They said they've never had one for display as they sell them faster than they're shipping. I guess it varies by area of the country.

My Colt 1911 has a very minor side to side. Almost can't see, but you can feel and hear it. I'll be interested to see how my 99 compares

Welcome. I too am fairly new to the forum. I have owned PPKs (and /s) for 25years so this is my first "step up" in Walther world. Still debating about selling my current .380PPK/s and upgrading to a PPS. I'll have to think on it. the PPK is so......sleek.

Alf

1 - 19 of 19 Posts