Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every morning before work, i dress up with the p99 IWB trying different positions around my waste with different shirts and tucks. alas, the time comes to leave and i must remove it because i do not yet have the permit to carry. i dont think puttering around the house is a real world environment and was wondering if i should buy an airsoft replica of the p99, weight it down to the same level when loaded and practice with that in public. wind gusts, vehicle entry, sudden sprints, boating, etc... just to see if any odd combinations of movement will uncover the weapon. i know they go over basic concealment and holsters in the coarse and i've been reading all the top forums but everyman's shape is different and i've already found that some of the classic carry positions print noticeably on me. i'm just wondering what would happen if i ever get pulled over and had to explain quickly that i have a fake gun for ccw practice. or what if someone did make the gun, freaked and made the call to 911...
i think i understand what brandishing means and i know it would be considered a real gun untill the moment of disarmement should i ever be discovered. if all goes well, that will never happen but being pulled over would be a real problem. don't for one moment think i would ever pull a fake gun out and brandish it. i may be a fool, but i'm no idiot.
or am i ?   really.. is this whole practice idea idiotic?
remember this is just to test holsters and techniques in the real world and to see if i need a different gun to make this work. also, if the gun comes out of the holster and hits the ground, it's a toy that broke, not my expensive walther.
p.s. ( i fumbled the mag release the first day i had the gun and when it hit the kitchen floor (empty) the plastic broke into bits. i almost got rid of the weapon that day for lack of trust in durability.)

edited to add that i live in so-cal if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dude....are you serious?!?!?!?

That is the stupidest idea I have ever heard of.  For starters, if someone does see it and happens to call 911, it could be viewed as carrying a deadly weapon and cause you to lose that CCW license before you even get it.  As a Police Officer, I can tell you that if I happened on someone carrying a realistic looking gun (real or not), and they tell me that they don't have a license for it, they are going to have my gun screwed in their ear.  Any movement toward it could be perceived as hostile and could get you shot... but you already know that.  I wouldn't care if it was real or not...until I took it from you, cuffed you, and stuffed you in the back of my car.  Only then would I take a long, detailed look at it.

As a Police Officer, the way I see your question is that you are not willing to wait for the actual license and are wanting to push the rules as far as you can.  This does not and will not look good for you for actually carrying a real gun.  If I encountered someone like that here in Texas, I might even submit the form to have their CHL (concealed handgun license) revoked.

Disclaimer:  My answers come from my view on your question based on Texas laws.  You may find California laws and reaction to you to be different.  BTW, carrying a realistic looking gun in a manner that one would carry a real gun could still be considered carrying a deadly weapon.  If you do decide to do that...be careful.

·
Registered
740 Posts
May I add that I wouldn't recommend that in Florida neither. Further, no need to risk your life like that.

Idiotic? More like foolish.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Well... All that seems a bit harsh.

I don't think it would be wise either, but I see what you are trying to accomplish.  Best to be patient I think.

Be Safe,
MLB

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I know they say there are no dumb questions but...

Seriously, if you live in California, you must have discovered it's not a gun friendly state. You should have the common sense to recognize how much trouble "pretending to carry" could cause you.

If you really want to test your holsters and carry options, wear the gun inside your home while you perform chores and go about your day inside. Be prepared to bump into things and for the gun to get in the way of your normal motions.

Good luck and be careful-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts