Walther Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used lead/cast bullet handloads in their 9mm Walther P99? If so how did they work (accuracy/reliability)?
What powder do you use and what is the overall length of your rounds? TIA

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I haven't shot lead in my 9mm yet, but I have in my .40 P99. They work great in the .40, so I would suspect lead would have the same results in the 9mm. I haven't tried any lead in the 9mm, because I can get jacketed bullets for just a little bit more around here.

In my .40 I use lead bullets from LaserCast. 170gr.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have put a lot of Carroll reloads thru my P99 9mm.
LRN, 124gr. I don't know the loading data for the stuff, as I buy it off the shelf. I found it to be just as accurate as FMJ 124gr, at 50ft. It just takes a bit more on the cleaning exercises, but I have to shoot lead when indoors as No Jacketed ammo is allowed at the club indoor range (due to backstop).

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use Carroll 124 gr. lead reloads occaisionally myself, whenever I catch them on sale. I have to spend a little more time cleaning, but that's mostly from the dirtier powder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Considering the velocity of the 9mm cartridge I'm now thinking that I will probably use a plated or jacketed bullet so that I don't have to deal with leading. Opinions on a good bullet for punching holes in paper and knocking down steel plates are welcome. Also I would like ideas on powder, I'm not looking for top velocities but a load that is accurate and easy on the pistol. TIA

·
Registered
263 Posts
For cheap practice and plinking ammo, you probably won't find a cheaper alternative than Winchester "white box" 9mm 115gr FMJ. It is sold in boxes of 100 for only $11 at Wal-Mart. I've shot about 600 rounds of this ammunition so far through my P99 and I have had only 2 misfires. Both of those rounds went off after a second-strike.

Also available at Wal-Mart are CCI Blazer 9mm 115gr FMJ. They are a little more expensive at $5.90 for a box of 50, but they burn a little cleaner than the Winchesters. There are some thoughts that the aluminum casing used is harder on the extractor than traditional brass, which I think is true.

I currently use only Winchester white box because it is the cheapest ammo out there and its reliable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In terms of a good bullet and powder combination try 124 gr jacketed/plated bullets using 8.0-8.5 gr of Accurate Arms #7. Seat the bullet so that its full diameter is seated 0.020" shorter than engaging the rifling when chambered. I have found these loads to be extremely accurate in multiple 9mm guns. The absolute best in a P99 was a 125 gr Sierra JHP over 8.3 gr of Accurate Arms #7. This load grouped about 1.5" at 30 feet shooting off hand. Please verify these loadings with a commercial loading manual before trying.

If you want to buy reasonable priced ammuntion than I recommend the Fiocchi 123 gr truncated cone. It has been acccurate in our P-99's. It is about $6/50 rounds on teh internet.

Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts