Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired this gun and am a little confused. It seems to be a late war production PP Police. It has a wartime finish as seen but the small parts are straw colored? Also it has a lanyard ring installed that looks to have been there since 1944. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow! That was a rare gun. Eagle “C” guns sell for big money. Somebody removed the collector value by changing the finish on the hammer and trigger. Should be a great shooter though. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
844 Posts
It seems a number of later war Walthers were used by post war European police and were modified by notching the left rear grip and installing a lanyard loop. Mine was 343443 P and had a hole drilled and threaded for the lanyard. But it had no other changes to the finish like yours.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Wow! That was a rare gun.... Somebody removed the collector value by changing the finish on the hammer and trigger....
Let’s not get carried away. The finish changes are relatively minor and easily remedied if desired, and while this indeed will impact value somewhat, I think these are uncommon enough (if I remember correctly, only a couple thousand of the later-war eagle/C guns) that this should certainly not “remove the collector value“.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The collector value depends on the buyer.... somebody might really want one. others would wait.... I passed on one recently that the slide didn’t match. It was numbered internally and was nonmatching. Price was cut by 50% and I still passed. Doesn’t mean the next guy would pass...
Subjective isn’t it?

·
Registered
577 Posts
The collector value depends on the buyer.... .
Subjective isn’t it?
You’re absolutely right.

On the other hand, objectively, a non-matching slide as in your example means half the original gun is missing, vs. a few discolored parts here.

I just think one should be cautious dismissing a gun like that with a sweeping statement to someone seeking advice.

·
Registered
844 Posts
You’re absolutely right.

On the other hand, objectively, a non-matching slide as in your example means half the original gun is missing, vs. a few discolored parts here.

I just think one should be cautious dismissing a gun like that with a sweeping statement to someone seeking advice.

I agree. A trigger and hammer are generic parts that might have been replaced and can be replaced. Whether the lanyard loop is removable or fixed is the question. But it is hardly a shooter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I figured the straw parts weren’t right but the loop looks completely legitimate. Either way it seems like a hard one to find.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Yeah, and I wouldn't dismiss it as a "worthless shooter". Hell, I wouldn't even consider a mint bring-back a worthless shooter if the guy who brought it back scratched his SSN into the slide. Just adds character and history!
Now if it was a beat up mix and match gun, that would be a different thing.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Eagle/C means?:eek:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Ah, thanks!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
I believe Eagle/C were police weapons but I'm prepared to be educated otherwise....

You beat me to it Joe.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If truly late war, is there a chance non blues parts were simply grabbed out of a parts bin and assembled to get the guns out the door?

I have an Eagle C late war PPK and the finish, though original, is atrocious. Mill marks and all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts