Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the subject says, I have a P1 which will not feed the last round in one magazine (unmarked except for a made in Mexico stamp). It doesn't jam or stovepipe. It just sits there at the top of the mag.

I have another mag which works fine. Any ideas of what to look for? Or should I just give up and get another mag?

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
But aren't you interested in finding out why?
...(unmarked except for a made in Mexico stamp).
I am Sir, only I think I needn't look much further than poor RafMan's original message. I've never found success with any aftermarket magazine in any of my Walthers except MecGar, whom I believe supplies Walther to begin with. I'm not sure many OEM Walther producers reside in Mexico either.

Argh... now I reeeeeealy want to know what's wrong with 'Raf's magazine. Thanks a lot, Counsellor!

-Pilotsteve

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Yes, I understand that's it's an aftermarket magazine, and aftermarket magazines are notoriously unreliable. But that was not my point.

The reason I spend so much time on this forum answering diagnostic questions is because in my dotage I have a silly notion that I might be accomplishing something by encouraging others to think. The syllogistic approach seems to be much neglected nowadays.

Sure, the short answer is that mag is no good, just replace it and be done with it. But even a malfunctioning aftermarket magazine has something to teach. For those willing to do it, analyzing what is happening with this magazine contributes to our education. It might someday be useful if a similar malfunction should arise with an original factory magazine.

If I were searching for greater knowledge of magazines, I would troubleshoot thus: Since we know the gun won't feed the last round, and just leaves it "sitting there", it is likely that the last round holdopen lever engaged prematurely. What caused that? Well, what engages the lever? Hint: it's the follower. So I might pull the followers out of the Mexican and a Walther magazine and compare them. Identify that portion of the follower that contacts the lever. On a P38 magazine it's a shelf on the dogleg. Is the Mexican one bent higher? Or does it rise higher in the magazine body because the lips are spread further apart? Inquiring minds might want to know...

M

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Well said, Mike. I sure would like to see a picture of the malfunctioning magazine, both assembled and with the parts laid out. RafMan, you still here man?

-Pilotsteve

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
An empirical test is simple enough. If one removes the slide (so he can watch what happens), puts a single round in the aftermarket magazine, and inserts it into the frame, will it lift the holdopen?

M

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
An empirical test is simple enough. If one removes the slide (so he can watch what happens), puts a single round in the aftermarket magazine, and inserts it into the frame, will it lift the holdopen?

M
Mike,

I have a P1 which will not feed the last round in one magazine ... It doesn't jam or stovepipe. It just sits there at the top of the mag.
I see your point now that you took the time to explain it a little more detailed. It is sometimes hard to follow your thinking and having to read in between the lines:). It is my understanding, that the slide closes but that the last round in that magazine does not get stripped out of it at all. It makes me think that either the geometry is off and the follower is situated too deep but more likely that the spring is too weak. In my experience a weak mag spring is showing its weakness in the last round, with higher slide velocities this will get worse.

I would start by using the spring from the other mag and see if this is the remedy, follower exchange would be the next step, checking for geometry/feed lips can be done first and without having to even fire the gun by a simple comparison to the magazine that works.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Andy's point is well taken.

I understood that when your gun stops the slide is open. He understood it to be closed.

Which is it?

M
So the gun stops with the slide open. If I release the slide, the last round will then feed.

·
Premium Member
14,264 Posts
^^^^ I'm thinking, thumbing the slide stop lever.

Me thinks MGM has already mentioned the probable cause in post no. 6.

Mag made in Mexico.......right there's a hint. Swap out followers and see what happens.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Steve: Think again. RafMan said: "I have another mag which works fine."

RafMan: By what method did you "release the slide"?

M
By depressing the slide lock lever. Pulling back on the slide and releasing does nothing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FollowUp

So just to close out the thread, I'm just going to junk the 3rd party mag. On close inspection, the lips are a bit bent out of wack. I tried swapping the followers, but they didn't play well with each other.

Thanks all

RafMan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts