Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone furnish information on when Interarms officially closed its doors. Or when the last pistol marked Interarms and serial number range? I am thinking 1998 but not sure. Thanks

·
Registered
705 Posts
There's not a lot of public information on the end of Interarms and I doubt anyone knows what the last serial number would have been.

This is from Wikipedia.

'In 1978, Ranger Manufacturing of Gadsden, Alabama was licensed to manufacture the PPK and PPK/S; this version was distributed by Interarms of Alexandria, Virginia. Ranger made versions of the PPK/S in both blued and stainless steel and chambered in .380 ACP and only made copies chambered in .32 ACP from 1997 to 1999. This license was eventually canceled in 1999."

This seems pretty accurate since Smith & Wesson started to produce them in 2002.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
There is much murkiness about the end or indeed the heydays of InterArms, since Sam Cummings wasn't just an importer of milsurp guns for American collectors. Ahem. Hem hem...

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I believe Sam Cummings died in April 1998. His daughter was supposed to take over the business but she was indicted on manslaughter charges in May 1998, IIRC. So with nobody to run the company, it shut down. The Walther license expired in 1999 and S&W took over production, with the first inits included ,excess parts from Ranger Manufacturing used to assemble them.

·
Banned
34 Posts
I believe Sam Cummings died in April 1998. His daughter was supposed to take over the business but she was indicted on manslaughter charges in May 1998, IIRC. So with nobody to run the company, it shut down. The Walther license expired in 1999 and S&W took over production, with the first inits included ,excess parts from Ranger Manufacturing used to assemble them.
What an unfortunate turn of events

·
Registered
705 Posts
It makes you wonder would Walther have stayed with Interarms or would they have eventually contracted with Smith & Wesson and would we have ever seen Walther setup shop in the US like today?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Walther would have eventually put a plant in the US like other Euro manufacturers to get rid of the middleman.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts