Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my Glock 31 (full-size, 357 Sig) to a friend of mine and have a OD P99 in .40, all German proof marks, ready at the local gun dealer.
I will be picking it up on Wednesday or Thursday.
I have been researching this gun for about 2 weeks, and am very impressed with the remarks I've read about it.
I have owned a couple of other Glocks, and they were great tools, but they lacked a certain appeal.
When I began my search for a replacement carry gun for CCW and hunting/hiking, I originally was drawn to the HK USP compact. However, it was almost too small for my hands, and some people didn't like the trigger.
Plus, the HK was $690, and the Walther is $529.
My father is a police chief in a northwestern university town and is a huge Sig Sauer fan. But, he also has a PPK and every Bond film made
He took a look at the new Walther P99 and was very impressed. He can't wait to shoot mine next weekend.
So, hopefully in a few days, I will be giving my range report on my P99.
I have usually enjoyed sub-1" groups off-hand at 7yds with my better pistols, and I'm hoping I won't be disappointed with the P99.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I almost bought a Glock 22--it was a cheap retired police issue that would have saved me hundreds of dollars over the P99.

Here's why I bought the P99 .40:

The Glock is simply not comfortable to grip with a human hand.
The P99 fits a human hand perfectly. If your hand is larger or smaller than average, just change the backstrap.

The Glock is butt-ugly. The P99 is a beautiful plastic gun.
The Glock is not well-finished inside. The P99 is a crafted piece.

I'm sure that the Sig and the H&K are beautifully made. I did not find them as comfortable to shoot as the P99.

A couple of other guns were as comfortable in my hand as is the P99, but they had an inflated price and/or reliability issues.

Only one other gun, a Para, had a trigger smoother than the P99--but, in my opinion, the Para has both reliability and price issues.

Buy the P99.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,

I think that my explanation was not clear regarding Sigs.

Let me restate:

The Sig was not as comfortable in my hand as was the P99, so it went off my purchase list. It may have had a smooth trigger action--I don't recall. But I do recall being uncomfortable with the grip. I also removed the H&K from my purchase list when I picked it up.

The Para was comfortable to grip and to pull, and it had the best trigger of any gun I've handled. However, it was $300 more than the P99. I could not justify the extra expense. Funny, though. It's manufactured about twenty minutes from my house. How could I be so disloyal?

To me, the P99 offered the best combination of attributes. For me.

I respect every other gun owners' favourites.

I bought the P99 I first tried. Maybe my particular all-German, .40, 414XXX series gun has a particularly fine trigger.
I don't know. But, I'm glad that you are enamoured of your SIG.

·
Registered
27 Posts
actually, I traded my sig228 for my p99qa. The sig didnt "feel" so great in my hands either, but I do miss the trigger, it was the best "out of the box" trigger I have ever felt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I bought the P99 and have been in love ever since
. Sub-1" groups at 7 yards are easy, combat accuracy is great, functioning is 100%, and rapid-fire shooting is incredible.
I went to the range with my brother and a group of local sheriff's deputies and we went through a bunch of drills. We did qualification practice for a new guy that was headed to academy, and then did some tactical shooting drills for the veterans.
I was the highest scorer in all drills
The only problem I had was getting used to the controls. I finally began using my left hand to activate the decocker, and using my trigger finger to release the magazine.
More training and shooting should make these actions natural and instinctive.
Overall, I am way impressed with this pistol and can't believe that it isn't more popular or expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts