Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried out/ have reviews for the LaserLyte training system?
Pros and cons are welcome. Is it worth it, or just a waste of money?
LaserLyte — Laser Trainer Systems

I work mostly from home so this could be a fun (and productive) thing to do during those long conference calls....

Sam

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have not used it, but IMHO I think it's a waste of money. The biggest things in accurate shooting is proper grip, breathing, trigger control, and follow through. The LaserLyte system only address breathing and trigger control, which could just as easily be address with normal dry firing. For SD shooting the biggest things are quick draw, situational awareness, target acquisition and quick follow up shots. The system might help with you drawing your weapon and placing that first shot, but besides that it's not going to do you much good. Especially since you'll have to rack the pistol between each round. You are better off spending the money an ammo and range time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the SureStrike Laser Training bullet, and I think it was worth every penny. It's not especially useful for bullseye training, for reasons that TheInfidel noted, but for self-defense practice, it lets you do things that are completely impractical to do in a shooting range due to their rules, or even in your backyard if you live in an area where you can't do any practical practice with live fire (like my town, where discharging a firearm is illegal).

One drill that I like to do is put the SureStrike in my PPS, holster it and conceal it as I normally do, walk around my basement, and then just kinda randomly verbally blurt out a target (something small--like the size of a teacup), then draw and fire at it as fast as I can, and see if I hit the target with the laser dot. It would be better if I could program my laptop computer to call the target for me, or have another person call it.

I must admit that I'm not all that good at it with my PPS, but I can hit the target nearly every time with my Browning Hi-Power, without using the sights.

It is kind of a pain to have to rack the PPS slide to reset it every shot, but of course you don't need to fully retract the slide--just a slight tug is all it takes to reset to reset the trigger.

Laser Ammo SureStrike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I'll definitely keep this in mind. Gotta wait a week to buy more toys since ammunition depot and comp tac took all my $$ this week [:

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm considering getting one of those SureStrike Laser Bullets. I think it could really help with instinctive shooting. I used to shoot competition longbow instinctively (no sights). When I first started I was terrible but I worked hard and paid attention and became one of the better traditional archers in the local club. I would think the laser bullet could be a very useful training aid.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm considering getting one of those SureStrike Laser Bullets. I think it could really help with instinctive shooting. I used to shoot competition longbow instinctively (no sights). When I first started I was terrible but I worked hard and paid attention and became one of the better traditional archers in the local club. I would think the laser bullet could be a very useful training aid.
Yeah it certainly is a useful training aid for instinctive shooting. I sometimes use it while I am watching TV, to give me a moving "human" target to shoot at, without using my sights. As long as the target is wearing dark enough clothing, you can see the dot, but it gets washed out on brighter TV targets.

I figure that being able to consistently hit a one-foot-tall human image on a TV screen is equivalent to being able to hit a life-size human target at a much greater distance. Not that I ever expect to have to shoot at a human target from a long distance (certainly not if I expect to stay out of jail afterwards), but I figure if I can hit a small target at a distance, then it should be much easier to hit a moving target at close range.

Of course, you don't get the stress factor when shooting at TV targets, so it's just a simulation...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I tried the laserlyte bullet. I used it to adjust the laser on two pistols so that both hit the same point. When I went to the range both lasers on my pistols were off 4" at 7 yds. I think it's a piece of junk. I sent it back for a refund.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I tried the laserlyte bullet. I used it to adjust the laser on two pistols so that both hit the same point. When I went to the range both lasers on my pistols were off 4" at 7 yds. I think it's a piece of junk. I sent it back for a refund.
Those lasers aren't intended to set your exact point of impact, because bullets don't follow a perfectly flat trajectory like a laser does. They are only intended to get you "on paper" for a long-range target, after which it's necessary to dial it in with actual fire. They're really more useful in that regard for rifles shooting at long-range targets.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have the SureStrike Laser Training bullet, and I think it was worth every penny. It's not especially useful for bullseye training, for reasons that TheInfidel noted, but for self-defense practice, it lets you do things that are completely impractical to do in a shooting range due to their rules, or even in your backyard if you live in an area where you can't do any practical practice with live fire (like my town, where discharging a firearm is illegal).

One drill that I like to do is put the SureStrike in my PPS, holster it and conceal it as I normally do, walk around my basement, and then just kinda randomly verbally blurt out a target (something small--like the size of a teacup), then draw and fire at it as fast as I can, and see if I hit the target with the laser dot. It would be better if I could program my laptop computer to call the target for me, or have another person call it.

I must admit that I'm not all that good at it with my PPS, but I can hit the target nearly every time with my Browning Hi-Power, without using the sights.

It is kind of a pain to have to rack the PPS slide to reset it every shot, but of course you don't need to fully retract the slide--just a slight tug is all it takes to reset to reset the trigger.

Laser Ammo SureStrike

Record yourself calling them out and set it to random play. I've used a similar method with my iPod when doing drills at the range without a partner.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Excellent idea, thanks UMBlue!
Glad to help. :)

Forgot to mention...

It's also good to mix in blank tracks of varying length and/or pauses in your recordings so as not to get use to the timing of when the next call is coming.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Glad to help. :)

Forgot to mention...

It's also good to mix in blank tracks of varying length and/or pauses in your recordings so as not to get use to the timing of when the next call is coming.
I had that exact thought in mind after I read your earlier post. Thanks for mentioning it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts