Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Forget what you've seen in movies and on TV; lasers are toys.  You'll spend more time trying to find that little red dot on your target than you will lining up your night sights.  Besides, lasers are a tactical liability since like tracers, they work both ways.  -Skip the laser and get some quality night sights.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (PPK/S Guy @ Aug. 28 2005,13:29)]Lasers are what the Army trains with! BTW, I'M GETTING BOTH!
Take it easy-  The Army does a lot of things that really aren't the best way.  They even have an expression for it: "There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Army way."  

I'm not saying that a laser has no application in terms of training.  I've seen a police firearms instructor use one very effectively to convey how a shooter needs to trust his or her natural shake.   That said, if you're talking about using a laser in a way that we've all seen in action flicks, then using a laser tends to be a liability in a tactical environment.  Like I said previously, it takes longer to find that little red dot than it does to line up the sights.  Additionally, laser sights can give away your position in a low light setting.  -If you're talking about using a laser to guide in smart bombs or Red Dot / Reflex scopes, those are completely different.

Laser sights are snake oil for the gun show crowd.  They're sold to the people who want to hear that if they can point, they can shoot and they do not need to practice.  If you want to get both night sights and a laser, get both.  When you put your target about 15 yards down range, you'll start to see why a laser doesn't cut it.  Experience is a great teacher.

However, if you really want to do it the Army way, get a Beretta M9 and use substandard non-OEM magazines or have your unit armorer use duct tape to fix a broken stock on a SAW.  The military has many reasons for doing what it does, but being "the best" is generally not on the list.  -If you had to do it the Army way, you'd likely be unhappy about it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I would have to agree with breaker Dave, lasers are props more than practical. I live in a large midwestern city and I know the head firearms instructor for the PD. They don't use lasers and the Swat Team laughs at them. I have one for my P22 and in my opinion it was a waste of about $100. Doesn't remain sighted in after several rounds. I must admit it looks cool when sighting it down range in low light condition but after that...forgetaboudit.....

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It's UR $ get one a be happy. They best thing I've done with my laser is mount it on my airsoft pistol and shoot it in the basement...it seems to be made for them little yellow pellets.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Been USMC infantry for 5 yrs.....never even seen a laser....A much better peice of gear is the eotech or aimpoint, they still put dots on target but without projecting the dot downrange. These however don't work good on pistols.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr. 47 @ Oct. 06 2005,13:10)]Been USMC infantry for 5 yrs.....never even seen a laser....A much better peice of gear is the eotech or aimpoint, they still put dots on target but without projecting the dot downrange. These however don't work good on pistols.
What is you Primary Weapon?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Some of us older shooters can't focus on the open sights and need that little red dot.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Lazarus! Is that you?!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I was thinking about putting on on my P99, but then decided against it. If I am going to carry it for protection, not like the baddie is gonna stand there while you draw a bead or dot on him. Its more of a draw, point, and pull thing.

If I DID get a modification for it, it WOULD be night sights. Seems like the best option, really...

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
I'm also at the age where I need help with sighting so I bought a Viridian C5L (green laser w/light) for both of my P99's.

A proper two-hand hold covers the "on" button with my index finger. Unless I'm going for a snap shot I'll have a bright green dot on a blinded target.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Take it easy- *The Army does a lot of things that really aren't the best way. *They even have an expression for it: "There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Army way." *

I'm not saying that a laser has no application in terms of training. *I've seen a police firearms instructor use one very effectively to convey how a shooter needs to trust his or her natural shake. * That said, if you're talking about using a laser in a way that we've all seen in action flicks, then using a laser tends to be a liability in a tactical environment. *Like I said previously, it takes longer to find that little red dot than it does to line up the sights. *Additionally, laser sights can give away your position in a low light setting. *-If you're talking about using a laser to guide in smart bombs or Red Dot / Reflex scopes, those are completely different.

Laser sights are snake oil for the gun show crowd. *They're sold to the people who want to hear that if they can point, they can shoot and they do not need to practice. *If you want to get both night sights and a laser, get both. *When you put your target about 15 yards down range, you'll start to see why a laser doesn't cut it. *Experience is a great teacher.

However, if you really want to do it the Army way, get a Beretta M9 and use substandard non-OEM magazines or have your unit armorer use duct tape to fix a broken stock on a SAW. *The military has many reasons for doing what it does, but being "the best" is generally not on the list. *-If you had to do it the Army way, you'd likely be unhappy about it.
I can speak from experience. The only "laser" we use in the Army is an IR laser for use with NOD's. We have a red laser on a weapons laser system(PEQ-15), but none of my Joe's use it except for grab ass and messing with dogs and cats. Save the cash and get a good set of night sights.

·
Supporting Vendor
652 Posts
The best use for lasers is to indicate trigger control and to reassure sight picture on trigger break.
Here is a link to a laser training pistol that I have a similar prototype. I have used it to teach many non active shooters to hone their skills at home and increase trigger control and accuracy. They have shown a huge increase in accuracy and draw time by practicing with this type of laser.
A laser on the pistol can be used in a similar way as well. I am a firm believer that you should be able to shoot effeciantly with the sights and then only use the laser for comprimised positions.
Practice/Practice/Practice with sights untill you are accurate and comfortable, then use the laser as needed.
I made a similar laser trainer that I made a few years ago from an airsoft pistol.
Now I use the SIRT pistol .

Here is the link to them. Next Level Training

1 - 17 of 17 Posts