Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the indoor range today. Part way through my shooting session, the ventilation system went down. We had to leave the range area, and go to the store area until it was fixed. While waiting, I got to talking to a guy and found out he was into reloading also. He told me about his chronograph and how great it was. When we went back into the range area, he showed it to me and was kind enough to let me shoot some Colt 45 rounds I had loaded up with Trail Boss (Thanks halfmoonclip) with it. Now I have to get one.

https://mylabradar.com/labradar/

Results for 4 shots:

What will they think of next.

Pudge

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
At $600+ for a basic setup I think I'll stick with the old fashioned gear for now.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I had a place to use the old fashioned chrony, I would agree with you. I have a PACT chronograph I haven't used in years. I can't use it at an indoor range. It's got to the point around here where all the outdoor ranges have been turned into clubs. Guests only, no public access, and 5 to 7 year waiting lists. Even the few outdoor ranges that allow public access, are not real accommodating about chrony screens down range. Plus, last summer we were so dry from the drought that the state shut down the outdoor ranges in most counties. Even then they blamed one wild fire being started by shooters at an "unofficial" range in the mountains.

Yeah it's expensive, but I've spent more on a semi auto pistol more than a few times. There aren't any better options on the table.

Pudge

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
My 30 year old Oehler has done yeoman work; a late buddy and I bought it jointly.
It is no small amount of monkey motion setting up, but I do have (increasingly rare) incandescent display lamps to use it indoors. You can't set it up under indoor fluorescent lights, outdoors is easier.
I did shoot the skyscreens with a 9mm carbine; yeah, the red dot is above the bore axis.

A new one might be in the future, and it appears this new type has easier set-up. Wait 'till the prices drop.
Moon

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A new one might be in the future, and it appears this new type has easier set-up. Wait 'till the prices drop.
Moon
The only setup was taking the unit out of his range bag, attaching the optional stand, putting it on the bench and pointing it towards the target.

There are eight orange tabs on the front. When I shot, he had me put the muzzle two inches away from the middle right tab, and two inches in front of the unit. For muzzle blast I assume.

WIth the old style, it gives one velocity reading at what ever distance the screens are set up. Since it is radar, it gave velocities at 0, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 yards along with kinetic energy readings for those yardages. The unit is capable of doing this out to 100 yards, but the range was only 25 yards max.

I thought about it a lot, and as nice as it is I am for the present agreeing with PPS1980 and Moon. Too expensive. I will wait and see what the prices do. Plus I just might start putting a bug in Santa's ear.

Since there is no downrange setup, maybe the range would consider buying one and renting it out to customers. I don't know how much demand there would be for it.

Pudge

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
The lack of downrange setup would be the best aspect; setting up to clock a couple loads is a real aggravation with the current chrono.

I would be far more likely to clock loads if it were that easy to use the chrono.
Best,
Moon

Reactions: Pudge

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Tim, of the Military Arms Channel uses one of those. It's been in several of his videos. It's a very interesting set up. At half the price I'd be all over it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Tim, of the Military Arms Channel uses one of those. It's been in several of his videos. It's a very interesting set up. At half the price I'd be all over it.
Yep, me too. I'd be in at a little over half the price... Around $400, and I'd think they would sell 10-100 times as many as they do now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts