Walther Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Yes, it's also not a L66A, it's a commercial PP .22lr w. reinforced firing pin (P), someone pimped up to look like a L66A. All L66A were proofed by Güteprüfdienst des Bundesverteidigungsministeriums, not at Ulm proof house.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes, it's also not a L66A, it's a commercial PP .22lr w. reinforced firing pin (P), someone pimped up to look like a L66A. All L66A were proofed by Güteprüfdienst des Bundesverteidigungsministeriums, not at Ulm proof house.
I understand that you believe these to be fake, but wouldn’t that single proof on the frame be a Federal proof? Would it be out of the realm of possibility that early in the contract guns were pulled off the production line at Ulm and then federally proofed? In some ways similar to how PP/PPK pistols received Waffenamt acceptance marks during the Second World War. This is now the third example I’ve found with a single federal proof.

I’ve also reached out to some British resources in the hopes to get some legitimate research into this. Most of what I’ve read on this pistol does not have much in the way of records or research to back it up.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Yes, it is out of the realm of possibility. A gun proofed by Güteprüfdienst shows two eagles w. drooping wings and no Ulm proof. One eagle plus Ulm proof is absolutely unusual and senseless.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
To be more clear: There are L66A1 out there, proofed in Ulm (=> Waffensammlung ), note the missing proof lhs on the frame. But there are no 'mixed types' known.
Well I appreciate you sharing that resource, the two examples that were on display are illuminating, especially since they are both British issue, one with only single federal proofs on the frame and slide, and one with only commercial proofs. It also seems to disprove the entire serial number range that has been assumed since one of the examples has a serial number in the high 30,000’s. This, unlike your assumption, solidifies my belief that both examples with the mixed proofs are L66A1’s. I feel that you are a bit quick to assume that these are fake especially since the early gun has commercial proofs. I now feel that there is a distinct possibility that the early guns were taken from the production line and, for whatever reason, received a mixture of proofs before being sent to the British. Hopefully my research attempts will enlighten us further.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well I appreciate you sharing that resource, the two examples that were on display are illuminating, especially since they are both British issue, one with only single federal proofs on the frame and slide, and one with only commercial proofs. It also seems to disprove the entire serial number range that has been assumed since one of the examples has a serial number in the high 30,000’s. This, unlike your assumption, solidifies my belief that both examples with the mixed proofs are L66A1’s. I feel that you are a bit quick to assume that these are fake especially since the early gun has commercial proofs. I now feel that there is a distinct possibility that the early guns were taken from the production line and, for whatever reason, received a mixture of proofs before being sent to the British. Hopefully my research attempts will enlighten us further.
Comming from the manufacturer to the proof house or the "Güteprüfdienst" in Germany pistols were and are always tested as a complete weapon, whether as a civilian weapon with the appropriate proof marks or as an official weapon with the appropriate proof marks.
That is why a mixture of both types of proof marks on a weapon in its original condition was and is impossible. If you find such a mixture anyway, something is faked.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Nothing to do with Walther or any other manufacturer. It's German's 'Beschussgesetz' (means proof law). The proof is outsorced and nothing to do with any manufacturer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am looking at one of the examples shown here. I tend to agree with ttb11b that these seem to be more than "faked."

I also agree with what Martin and GeMor say that a L66A1 would not have left the Walther factory with mixed proof marks, but I believe it is possible that during the British FTR process, perhaps parts were worn out and replaced, new firing pin swapped and "painted"? But the slide and frame SN match here so, I have no idea.

The question about the serial number range is confusing because these would seem "out of range" but ttb11b's theory about early examples, prototype perhaps?

Lastly, the were imported by Interarms (IAC Inc) and this is a case where the import mark may actually add credibility and value?

Anyway, I'm hoping more thoughts surface to help me with my own search and fear of making a bad financial decision.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I am looking at one of the examples shown here. I tend to agree with ttb11b that these seem to be more than "faked."

I also agree with what Martin and GeMor say that a L66A1 would not have left the Walther factory with mixed proof marks, but I believe it is possible that during the British FTR process, perhaps parts were worn out and replaced, new firing pin swapped and "painted"? But the slide and frame SN match here so, I have no idea.

The question about the serial number range is confusing because these would seem "out of range" but ttb11b's theory about early examples, prototype perhaps?

Lastly, the were imported by Interarms (IAC Inc) and this is a case where the import mark may actually add credibility and value?

Anyway, I'm hoping more thoughts surface to help me with my own search and fear of making a bad financial decision.
Once again to clarify:
every weapon that was/is produced and fully assembled in a German factory always left/leaves the factory without the proof marks required by law in Germany.
The proof marks were/are generally and always attached outside the factory at the proof center.
Therefore, a mixture of the proof marks from the proof house and the "Güteprüfdienst" cannot have occurred in Germany and certainly not in the factory.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts