Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my KKJ in 22LR--fine condition and great shooter. The serial number indicates 1960 manufacture according to data on this site. The front sight band and trigger guard could use some touch-up while the rest of the gun is immaculate. Here's the issue: I'm having trouble removing the front sight assembly. The forward facing screw comes out easily freeing the front sight blade, but the smaller screw behind the blade on top of the ramp base refuses to budge. It will move slightly right and left but that's it. I've tried penetrating oil but it still won't move to the left more than a fraction of an inch and I really don't want to snap it off. The other issue is the hood. It's slightly bent to one side and so sits on the base tipped to one side. Any ideas as to how to straighten that out and get that band off? I've checked various archives but no luck.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Jack,

as I wrote on RFC, the set screw is very short and only needs to come up a little less than one millimeter to stop retaining the front sight in the proper position.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I don't know if I'm lifting it that far with 1/8 of a turn. Shouldn't it back all the way out, though, even if it isn't necessary for removal?

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The top screw has a conical point --perhaps 2mm-- that rests in a mating divot in the top of the barrel; that, and a close fit, is all that holds the front sight base on the barrel. I would completely remove the front sight first, before attempting to back out the top screw --just to make sure that the front screw is not interfering with it.

Then find (or grind) a screwdriver blade that will precisely match the slot in the top screw. Lock the barrel in a padded vise to hold it immobile so you don't have to hold the gun and can use both hands to control the screwdriver. Applying steady, moderated pressure, turn the screw counterclockwise until it swages out whatever impediment in the threads is keeping it from unscrewing. The screw is steel and the base is relatively soft Zamak, so the threads will give way first. The screw should come out.

The hood is best straightened off the gun. Find or make a cylindrical mandrel that closely fits the inner diameter of the hood, and squeeze the hood in a padded vise to restore its shape.

M

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I had already removed the front screw and the sight blade. Using a flashlight I can see the other, vertical, screw at the back of the front screw's horizontal channel. My (obvious) concern is applying too much force and snapping the stuck screw. I'll keep trying, see if it gives in. Also, thanks for the tip re the mandrel and vise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts