Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys have a Kimber K6?

I got to shoot one today and liked it more than I thought I would.

Does anyone make speedloaders for the thing or do any existing speedloaders work with it?

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Kar98. That's a "duh" moment for me. I should have looked harder at Kimber's web site in the first place.

I ended up buying a K6s. I find the things a little ugly but they seem well made. Good trigger pulls, good sights, recessed cylinders, six shots of 357 in a more concealable package than a K frame.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks Kar98. That's a "duh" moment for me. I should have looked harder at Kimber's web site in the first place.

I ended up buying a K6s. I find the things a little ugly but they seem well made. Good trigger pulls, good sights, recessed cylinders, six shots of 357 in a more concealable package than a K frame.

How do you like shooting your K6s? Do you find it as accurate as say a DAO S&W revolver like a model 640? Any pros or cons to it? Thanks for anything you can share. I really love wheel-guns and am wondering how well the Kimber K6s models perform.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you like shooting your K6s? Do you find it as accurate as say a DAO S&W revolver like a model 640? Any pros or cons to it? Thanks for anything you can share. I really love wheel-guns and am wondering how well the Kimber K6s models perform.
I’ve shot a K6s a couple of times but haven’t taken possession of mine yet. I do have a 640 that I’ve trained with for many years.

I’d say most people would prefer the
Kimber trigger. The 640 is more concealable though and a proven commodity.

Both are capable of good, rapid shots at close range. The Kimber’s 6th shot and better sights could be an advantage though in some scenarios.

Looks wise, I prefer the Smith.

I don’t think you will go wrong with either though the Smith might require some slicking up before being at its best.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I’ve shot a K6s a couple of times but haven’t taken possession of mine yet. I do have a 640 that I’ve trained with for many years.

I’d say most people would prefer the
Kimber trigger. The 640 is more concealable though and a proven commodity.

Both are capable of good, rapid shots at close range. The Kimber’s 6th shot and better sights could be an advantage though in some scenarios.

Looks wise, I prefer the Smith.

I don’t think you will go wrong with either though the Smith might require some slicking up before being at its best.

Thanks for the reply. I have had a 640 for years and like it very much. I just was wondering how the K6s revolvers are. I will definitely have to find a range in my area that has one for rent to test out. You made some very good points of comparison and appreciate your answer.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have enough range time yet with a K6s to have strong opinions. From my small amount of range time I'd say the the better sights and non stacking trigger would make hits at distance easier. At 7 yards and in (belly gun distance) I saw no difference in speed or accuracy from the 640. Both guns will let you pump a cylinder of
38s into a fist size group with speed.

The K6s might be more controllable than the Smith J frames with 357s but I'm not sure about that yet.

My 640 is an older 38spc only model. I do have some other J frames in 357 though and find even the steel ones to be "exciting" to shoot for more than a few rounds.

·
Super Moderator
7,322 Posts
Concur with Jimmo's remarks for the most part; more in a minute.
As regards the speed loader, you might contact HKS (or try one from a K frame) to see if the spacing is right.

I'm a longtime Centennial guy; handled a Kimber and did like the trigger and the sights.
But I just got a 640 Pro, which has the good sights, and slicked up the trigger; it's a sweetheart, and not too bad with magnums in moderation. I load 'full charge' wadcutters (728'sec in 2"), which aren't like kissing your sister, but don't beat you up.
Frankly, I can't abide the Kimber's graceless looks, but it may well be a great gun.
Moon

Reactions: socrates007

·
Registered
364 Posts
As regards the speed loader, you might contact HKS (or try one from a K frame) to see if the spacing is right.

I'm a longtime Centennial guy; handled a Kimber and did like the trigger and the sights.
But I just got a 640 Pro, which has the good sights, and slicked up the trigger; it's a sweetheart, and not too bad with magnums in moderation. I load 'full charge' wadcutters (728'sec in 2"), which aren't like kissing your sister, but don't beat you up.
Frankly, I can't abide the Kimber's graceless looks, but it may well be a great gun.
Moon

I am in no hurry to get a Kimber K6s. I have my S&W j-frames and they are all great for carrying. I would be interested in the K6s only if I shot it much better than my j-frames. Well, until I get a chance to shoot one it's just a thought for down the road. Thanks for your input on this.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Moon
I hear you on the looks of the Kimber. Looks like something my nephew cobbled together out of Legos compared to a Smith or Colt. I'm going to work with it a bit and see if Its positive attributes can get me to overlook that fact.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The looks on the Kimber are definitely inferior to a S&W or a Colt IMO. Also, those Kimbers are priced very high and that is why I don't know if I would ever own one. They would have to outshoot my j-frames for me to even consider one.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took possession of the Kimber today and put 150 rounds through it. The HKS speedloaders designed for the Colt Detective Special definitely work with the Kimber.

Of the 150 rounds, 50 were 357 magnums. The gun shot fine with both 38s and 357 magnums.

Mine is the version with wooden boot grips. Shooting 357s with those grips is doable but not something most people are going to want to do a lot of.

One negative is the trigger seems to return slower than a Smith. Robust trigger return is one of the keys to high speed revolver shooting. It is easy to stage the trigger though and squeeze off well aimed shoots.

In summary, while I see some positives with the gun such as the recessed cylinder and six shot capacity, I’m not close to saying it’s a better revolver than a good Smith.

·
Super Moderator
7,322 Posts
IMHO, the biggest improvement to a Smith is either a fiber optic, big dot, or the 640 Pro's three dot night sights.
The Pros are out there, and more than price competitive with the Kimber.
In some defense of either gun, if the trigger return spring is less strong, for an easier trigger, it also will make a little slower return.
Moon

·
Super Moderator
7,322 Posts
Been meaning to get back to this thread with advice for the OP...
have you considered Bianchi Speed Strips? They aren't gun specific, hold 6 rounds, and while they aren't quite as speedy as a speed loader, they aren't as fiddly either...if you don't get the loader lined up right, you may spill the cartridges.
My 640 Pro even uses moonclips, and I just use the speed strips anyway. They are flatter in the pocket as well.
Moon

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Been meaning to get back to this thread with advice for the OP...
have you considered Bianchi Speed Strips? They aren't gun specific, hold 6 rounds, and while they aren't quite as speedy as a speed loader, they aren't as fiddly either...if you don't get the loader lined up right, you may spill the cartridges.
My 640 Pro even uses moonclips, and I just use the speed strips anyway. They are flatter in the pocket as well.
Moon
Hello Moon. I've been meaning to report back on this thread.

Yes, I have some speed strips. The flatness of the things is the primary plus. Easier to conceal than a speedloader. Slower though, at least for me.

HKS Speedloaders made for the Colt Detective Special work fine with the Kimber. My LGS had a dusty old few of them sitting in a display case. They are now mine.

The ones purpose built for the Kimber were not in stock anywhere that I could find.

It seems whoever designed the K6 studied the cylinder dimmensions of the Colt DS, the shape of the Smith Centennial and elements of the SP101. They made sure excellent, replaceable sights, recessed cylinders and a good trigger were part of the package.

Put these things together and you end up with a funky looking but excellent revolver for its intended purpose.

The more I shoot mine, the more it grows on me. Now, if only Kimber were to come out with an alloy framed version....

·
Super Moderator
7,322 Posts
...be careful what you wish for!
My 340 SC weighs 11 ozs and is a delight to carry, but one really nasty handful with magnums.
With a good boot grip, it isn't too bad with full charge wadcutters, but the steel guns are still nicer to shoot.
Moon

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...be careful what you wish for!
My 340 SC weighs 11 ozs and is a delight to carry, but one really nasty handful with magnums.
With a good boot grip, it isn't too bad with full charge wadcutters, but the steel guns are still nicer to shoot.
Moon
I have the 340PD with the titanium cylinder. The light weight cylinder helps give the gun a pretty nice trigger pull. As you say though, the gun is an absolute butt kicker.

I also have an M&P 340 which is just a little heavier due to the steel cylinder. It's amazing the difference a couple of ounces can make in these things. It is noticeably easier to deal with.

That 340PD is a marvel of engineering though. Amazing to have that much power in an 11 ounce highly concealable package.

·
Super Moderator
7,322 Posts
Concur. My 340SC has a bunch of hiking miles on it. Great little gun, and an amazing piece of engineering.

Having jumped up to the 340, I've drifted back to steel Centennials, and find them more pleasant to shoot.

Moon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts