Walther Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Kel-Tec PF9 today and decided to take some photos side by side with my P99C. Keep in mind the Walther holds three more rounds. A comaprison with the PPS would be more relevant, but I haven't seen one of those around here yet.

BTW, the pinky extension for the PF9 is pretty much worthless. Maybe a third of my pinky hits the extension. The best way to hold this gun for me appears to be pinky under the mag angled towards the back corner of the frame.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a look at the comparative thickness. This is the big difference.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And here's a look at both sides of the Kel-Tec, one taken with the pinky extension.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
A couple of pre-firing observations about the PF9. The trigger profile is not the most comfortable in the world. There is a peak that runs down the centerline on the front face of the trigger. It tends to be a bit sharp so I used an Exacto blade to smooth it down somewhat, especially down by the tip. With any extended firing this would tend to irritate the fingertip, but then again this isn't an extended firing gun. But, it was an easy fix, one I'm usually not afraid to make, such as rounding sharp corners on Glock mag releases and smoothing sharp mould seams on magazine extended floorplates.

I would also note that this isn't a gun that will be fired with the fingertip. First off, the reach is all wrong. Using the fingertip bunches the finger up and tends to orient the POA to the right. I have always found that double action fire is best contacting the trigger somewhere close to, or in this case based on my hand size, right at the joint of the first fingertip knuckle. It's a stiff (but smooth) trigger and that contact point really augments a good pull. It seems to me that Mas Ayoob has advocated that type of DAO trigger pull. Plus, the trigger is very short from top to bottom and my fingertip at my usual point of contact is too big for a comfortable pull.

I'd also point out that this is the first gun without a safety that I would be 100% comfortable with carrying with one on the pipe. The trigger pull is heavy and long enough so that I wouldn't be concerned about an AD due to a snag. The saving grace is that it is a smooth enough pull that I don't think that accuracy will be affected too much. Besides, this isn't a target pistol.

While I think that the Kel-Tec PF9 may well be one of the best carry guns out there, it only makes me more curious about the PPS, a gun that is actually quite similar in may regards.

Q

1 - 4 of 4 Posts