Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess this is sort of a novice question, but should you keep an empty mag in your guns when they are used often, but are stored until I take them to range....maybe the answer is yes...keep lint, etc out of magwell if it is empty?

·
Premium Member
13,801 Posts
What UE said. I might add, keeping a mag inserted in the pistol, may also help keep rats from building a nest in the mag well. :D

In all honesty, it really makes no difference either way.

I have multiple pistols stored in different places around the house, they ALL have a fully loaded mag and one in the chamber. There are NO kids in my house....only adults, and ALL adults are on the same page as it relates to the location and condition of these firearms. In addition, I usually have one on me as well.

Normal in the USA ain't what it used to be.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Guns that are not kept loaded do not have a mag inserted at my house. I store the mags seperately.

I keep several guns loaded, but I do not need to keep them all loaded.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I keep mags in mine. Some loaded most not. Safe guns are unchambered. Stop guns kept around the house are. I also live in a kid free zone.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I believe an empty mag in a weapon is a BAD idea as it could be confused for a ready weapon in a bad situation and cause a problem. Sorry, but if a weapon is empty it should be obvious IMHO. If its not, it should also be obvious. And YES I do treat all weapons as loaded until I personally confirm otherwise but in a crisis any confusion can lead to disaster. YMMV

·
Registered
510 Posts
IMO, if the gun or guns are stored (safe queens) shouldn't make a difference. In my house, if the firearm is readily available for carry, defense or a trip to the range etc. All mags are loaded with one in the chamber. There are bad and good habits. It could be detrimental for anyone if the gun is needed with an empty mag. The reaction probably would be oops or oh s***.

·
Registered
122 Posts
iF A MAG IS LOADED FOR A WEEK OR MORE AFTER EACH RANGE VISIT, WILL THAT WEAR DOWN THE SPRING INSIDE THE MAG

IVE HEARD THAT IT WILL NOT, BUT FIND THAT HARD TO BELIEVE

·
Premium Member
13,801 Posts
sPRINGS ARE WEAKENED, OVER TIME, FROM REPEATED COMPRESSING AND UNCOMPRESSING. iN OTHER WORDS, LOADING THE MAGAZINE TO CAPACITY AND THEN EMPTYING THE MAGAZINE. mUCH LIKE THE CYCLING OF THE RECOIL SPRING WHEN THE GUN IS FIRED AND THE SLIDE CYCLES.

lEAVING A SPRING COMPRESSED (SUCH AS A LOADED MAGAZINE) IS NOT GOING TO WEAR OUT THE SPRING.

bELIEVE IT OR NOT.

aLL CAPS LOOK LIKE CHIT, HUH!

·
Registered
122 Posts
THANKS FOR THAT REPLY

HAVE YOU EVER CONSIDERED THAT SOME MAY HAVE FAULTY EYESIGHT AND THAT CAPS MAY BE EASIER TO READ?

SORRY TO BOTHER YOU

BYE

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I will disagree with that view slightly.... And, this topic has been done to death on most gun forums (and I am on just about every gun forum).... So, I usually do not jump into this topic anymore....

However, here is my experience.... EVERY one of my Beretta 92 mags that have been loaded to 15 rounds.. And left in a carry gun for 4+ months... When I take them to the range and shoot the gun, those specific magazines will always fail to lock the slide back when empty. On ALL of those mags - I have had to change the mag spring to +10% Wolf springs. That solved the problem...

Beretta factory mags that don't stay loaded - they don't do this.

Now, I have started to just leave the mags underloaded by 1 round... So, I load 15 rounds, chamber a round, and then leave 14 in the magazine. This was an old trick from the 80's and 90's to increase mag spring life. Now, I am no longer having this issue on mags I keep loaded all the time, since I am only keeping 14 in the mag.

This age old debate about usage of the springs versus keeping them loaded all the time gets debated on all the gun forums. People won't admit that keeping them loaded CAN weaken the springs..

Now, the gun still functioned, but the affected mags would not lock the slide back when empty.

And, I have ONLY ever had this problem with Beretta factory mags and HK USP compact mags. I have had to get +10% mag springs for USP compact mags many times over the years for the same problem. Now, I do the same thing - keep the magazine under-loaded by 1 round, and the problem went away with my HK mags as well.

I have NEVER had this issue with ANY other brand of magazine. So, it probably has a lot to do with the quality of magazine springs being used. Never had this issue with Glock mags or Mecgar brand mags or any other magazine.

People like to argue about this issue to the ends of the earth, but this has been my experience. And, I'm tried of buying a ton of the +10% mag springs, so I've found a cheaper work around for these 2 brands of magazines.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
iF A MAG IS LOADED FOR A WEEK OR MORE AFTER EACH RANGE VISIT, WILL THAT WEAR DOWN THE SPRING INSIDE THE MAG

IVE HEARD THAT IT WILL NOT, BUT FIND THAT HARD TO BELIEVE
It could, especially with double stack magazines.However with my SD/CCW pistols I keep the magazines loaded but have a plan to change magazine spring every 5 years as that is cheap insurance.

Here is Wolff Springs take:

https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php?page=FAQ#question5

5. How often should I change magazine spring? Should I unload my magazines, rotate magazines, load with fewer than the maximum rounds?

Magazine springs in semi-auto pistols are one of the most critical springs and are the subject of much debate and concern. Magazines which are kept fully loaded for long periods of time, such as in law enforcement and personal/home defense applications, will generally be subject to more fatigue than the weekend shooter's magazine springs in which the magazines are loaded up only when shooting.

Magazine design and capacity also affect the longevity of the spring. In many older pistol designs, maximum capacity was not the always the goal such as with the 7 round 1911 Colt magazines will last for years fully loaded. There was room for more spring material in these guns which reduces overall stress and increases the usable life of the spring.

More recently higher capacity magazine have become popular. These are designed to hold more rounds with less spring material often in the same space. This puts more stress on the spring and will cause it to fatigue at a faster rate. Unloading these magazines a round or two will help the life of the spring. Rotating fully loaded magazines will also help the problem somewhat but it is not always practical.

In applications where the magazine must be kept loaded at all times, a high quality magazine spring such as Wolff extra power magazine springs, will provide maximum life. Regular replacement of magazine springs will provide the best defense against failure from weak magazine springs. Regular shooting of the pistol is the best way to be sure the springs are still functioning reliably.

Reactions: Frederick

·
Registered
351 Posts
I believe an empty mag in a weapon is a BAD idea as it could be confused for a ready weapon in a bad situation and cause a problem. Sorry, but if a weapon is empty it should be obvious IMHO. If its not, it should also be obvious. And YES I do treat all weapons as loaded until I personally confirm otherwise but in a crisis any confusion can lead to disaster. YMMV
That has never come into question in my house. I have two pistols that are kept loaded, and the rest unloaded. I know what's loaded, and what isn't based on their location in my safe. If I change pistols, I'll move the new selection to the "ready" position in the safe. The primary is usually out and with me.

I'll grab it first, and go back for my secondary if required. If that isn't enough, my next grab will be for my Remington 870 Marine Magnum. That one is always loaded, and ready to rock. Don't have any rifles ready to go...
guess I should load a few AR mags just in case...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Never had any issues keeping loaded mags, or empty mags in my pistols for the last 10 years, dirty guns did have issues but if cleaned and oiled they had no issues at all.

I am a pretty strong believer in having atleast 2 guns "combat ready" at all times after we had a few people in the area reporting break ins, and one night where a neighbor had to run off an intruder. Thankfully nothing has happened to my place but better safe and ready should someone target me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts