Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't post here often but have researched here quite a bit. We currently have a full size P99 that has been a spectacular firearm. My wife has been wanting a smaller semi auto and since the P99 is hers we finally decided to take the plunge on the compact. Even though I have read very little in regards to actual owners I have yet to read a negative thing about the Walther version.

So for $519.99 OTD I have a NIB 9mm Walther P99AS compact coming with four additional finger rest magazines, a good deal I think.

So can I expect the same quality weapon that I have in our 9mm P99 Full size?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes you can expect quality. The compact is just a shortened version of the full size and since yours is chamberd in 9mm which is what the gun was designed for you won't have problems.

What happens a lot is that a gun is designed for a particular caliber and then the company tries to stuff in a larger caliber like .40 or .45 into that same design and reliability decreases. This is just what I have heard but I don't know the engineering aspect of why this problems occurs.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Although I agree with cubano's statement, readers of this forums should realize that careless conversion of a 9mm pistol into .40 for example, may result in reliability problems.

My .40 P99 has nearly 1000 rounds through it with NO problems. Not one feeding, firing, extraction, or ejection problem. If you take care of your guns, and they are of good quality, don't worry about reliability problems.

-stunks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Stunks is right... especially as my comment was a wide sweeping general comment that didn't actually answer your specific question lol. But heck, for example, the first Glock design in 9mm has had less overall problems than the .40 and .45 Glocks that came later on.

YMMV, but the point is that the P99 full size or compact will be a great firearm for you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have also fed well over 1K rounds with different range ammo without one hiccup. I have bought and will test different defense ammo brands soon and expect the same flawless feeding.

Wow $520 for NIB and 4 mags? I am happy for you cslinger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a heads up. The gun and magazines were received and are wonderful. The gun is actually for my wife but I like it so much I am highly contemplating picking another up for myself.

We have put around 400 rounds of JHP and FMJ through the gun and all six magazines without one failure of any kind.

I am very picky when it comes to defensive handguns and I tend to try to make them malfunction by shooting left handed, right handed, upside down sideway and deliberately limp wristing and our P99C was no different in my test regimen. No malfunctions of any kind no matter what I did to it.

All in all two big thumbs up from me.

Chris

·
Registered
821 Posts
Your testing and subsequent failure to cause the gun to malfunction makes me happy about owning a P99. I think the P99 platform is a very robust design. Doesn't it feel good to own one?

I'm glad you like it!

-stunks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts