Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the first chance to shoot my P99 this weekend. I took it to an indoor range Friday afternoon and an outdoor on Saturday.

I have the P99 .40 S&W A/S. I find the gun to be accurate and I love the ergonomics.

Some concerns I'm having are the premature slide lock while I still have a loaded magazine. It only happened twice, but in the first 100 rounds. I'm hoping that works itself out.

I was cautioned by a few folks not to buy this gun in .40, but in 9MM. I try and stick with one caliber so I just went with the .40. Well, it's not the snappiness of the .40 S&W that bothers me, it's the trigger. The darn thing starts to hurt the finger after awhile. I've had three other people shoot it and didn't say anything the them up front and they all had the same comment.

I plan on pressing on and overcoming this, but I just thought I'd mention it.

All in all I still like the P99. It will be some time before I can shoot USPSA production with it as the mag release takes some getting used to for speed reloads.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Congrats on the 40 S&W P99.

Its funny, I have the exact same problem you describe with .40 & .357 Glocks... they really start to hurt my trigger finger after awhile. The P99 on the other hand is very comfortable to shoot for me. I think it is because it lacks the plastic split-trigger safety thingy which might be digging into my finger with the Glock.

As far as the premature slide locks go, put another couple hundred rounds through the gun and then see if it is still happening. I am by no means a gunsmith, but I would guess that premature slide locking is easier to fix then no slide lock at all. (sounds like something just needs to be filed down). Again though, I'm no gunsmith... even if I do play one on TV.

·
Registered
32 Posts
slide lock

I had a couple of slide lock with rounds left events. Happened when I was shooting USPSA as well. Changed my grip slightly and it stopped. Seems it was me bumping the button.

chris

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just got the first chance to shoot my P99 this weekend. I took it to an indoor range Friday afternoon and an outdoor on Saturday......
All in all I still like the P99. It will be some time before I can shoot USPSA production with it as the mag release takes some getting used to for speed reloads.

I just got my GEN II QA. I initially hated the mag release because I kept trying to actuate it with my shooting hand thumb a la 1911 (btw, I have short fingers). Then I realized that by simply using my trigger finger, it was almost a natural motion to dump the mag without even shifting my shooting hand grip. It'll take awhile to get used to this, though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I found, during a tactical training class, that using my middle finger works even better in terms of not having to change your grip.

Ron

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
51 Posts
The slide lock issue happened to me to. I either bump it up with my thumb or keep it depressed with my "thumbs forward" grip and prevent it from locking back at all. I decided that I would not change my grip and that it not locking back was a preferable alternative to it locking back in the middle of a mag.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I must have second generation than.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts