Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I have been on the hunt recently to find a new handgun, primarily to become proficient again since CCW passed here in Kansas. One of the largest problems I have is the grip size in relation to what my hands can actually hold. With most .40's (Sig, H&K, etc), my thumb nail only goes to about 1/2 way across the actual grip (usually about a .75 to an inch short of the trigger guard). Thus, I never get a good hold on the guns.

Previously, I purchased a Walther P99 in a .40 - and loved the way it fit my hand. Yet, I gave that gun up to my father as a retirement present (for it fit his hand great as well). In my quest to find another gun, it came down to the P2000 (great gun) and the P99 again. Unfortunately, it just didn't feel right to hold the H&K P2000. So, I opted for a P99 again.

Ron at Eagle Sports & Tactical gave me a good deal on a P99 he purchased (along with TOP NOTCH customer service and follow-through!). It is used, but has had less than 40 rounds through it. Nearly looks brand new. It also comes with a few extra goodies in addition to all the factory items:

- Laser Devices BA-5 (Walther stamped) 635nm laser
- 357Sig Bar-Sto barrel (which was shipped to Walther USA for custom refitting - since it wasn't quite like a drop in place unit like described)
- iron Night Sights
- and a Holster

Picture:

Yay for me. That is all.

Mike

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Pretty sweet

My SW99 is my fav out of all my guns, so I know what ya mean.

I was looking at it last night, and comparing it to my other guns. Even though my HK USP has a slightly longer barrel, the front and rear sights on the Walther/SW99 are all the way on the rear edge and front edge of the slide. That gives a longer sight radius. I like that. There is actually more room between the front and rear sight of my SW99 than there is on my HK USP. They put a lot of thought into the design when they made the P99.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks good i think i want to sell my H&K usp for another p99. I just love how the walther feels in my hand...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

Has anyone ever shot the .357Sig with the P99? I am curious how much more "snappy" that would be, in comparison to the .40?

I have read at a few places some great reviews & accuracy, and I am definately excited to get to try this combination as well.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My first outing with my Walther P99. I love it!! Can't wait until I get better too! First time out with the Handgun in 3 years.

·
Registered
539 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Red-Rx7 @ April 06 2006,5:04)]Thanks for the feedback.

Has anyone ever shot the .357Sig with the P99? I am curious how much more "snappy" that would be, in comparison to the .40?

I have read at a few places some great reviews & accuracy, and I am definately excited to get to try this combination as well.

Thanks,
Mike
Compare .357 Sig muzzle velocities to those attained with .40. Taking bullet weight into account that should give you some idea. Just remember that there is a lot of difference between different loads for the same caliber. I couldn't believe how mild the Sellier& Bellot .40 felt in comparison to white box Winchester for example.

I would think that the .357 Sig is in the same league as the .40 or a little less when it comes to recoil. Lighter projectile, less powder, right?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Aaahhh, your pictures finally loaded up on my sloooww connection (or did you add them later???)... For not shooting but once every 3 years, you do pretty good!
You've got me all fired up about a danged LASER now. See what you did!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hal8000 @ April 22 2006,6:54)]Aaahhh, your pictures finally loaded up on my sloooww connection (or did you add them later???)... For not shooting but once every 3 years, you do pretty good!
You've got me all fired up about a danged LASER now. See what you did!
I didn't use the laser for those shots, but I do love the laser!

What is a good way to sight the laser? Mine is really off, just attached. Use a grip? maybe a bore sight?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Since I don't have one yet, I can only speculate on how I intend to sight it in when I get one... Others may be A LOT better help...

I live in the country and have my own "range" in my back yard. When I say range, I mean a great big field with a wonderful bullet stop, ie... a mountain... Any way, I'll probably just point my laser as far as I can see it in the day light and compare it to the sights and adjust it till they appear to be the same. Then I'll shoot using the laser. Adjusting the laser till it hits what It's sitting on...
Sounds good in theory! We'll see...

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have no laser either but to sight it in I'd run the target out to whatever range I wanted to use and set my hands up on a sandbag, and put about 5 shots on the the target. Then I'd adjust the laser until it was in the center of the group when held in the same position. Test fire to confirm. Seems logical to me at least.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Red-Rx7,

Measure out the distance you want to sight the laser in for and adjust it to your sights so that the laser is just a hair above your front sight. Then test fire to make any adjustments needed. It should be fairly well "on" only minor adjustment should be needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts