Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first Walther. Its a P99QA, 40 S&W. I am proud to own this firearm. If any of you want to post any advice regarding use of care of this pistol feel free to do so!

In your opinion how do these pistols stack up against the other pistols of our day?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi and welcome rizbnk77....I have the same gun, but mine has the Titanium coated finish. It's an easy to carry, accurate, and fun gun to shoot. I think it stacks up very nicely against any of today's competitor .40 S&W guns like the various Glocks, HK USP's and P2000's, S&W M&P, Steyr M40A1, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
hi rizbnk77.... I am new here too.. and I just got myself my first Walther, a P99/AS 9mm.... but as my father in law said..."I am bitten"

SO here I go looking for a P99/AS in .40 and P99c/AS in 9mm... think the .40 is to powerful for the compact ...if I am wrong let me know .....I can't tell you of any other guns as I only shot them at the range and I did love the Walther best

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
For price vs quality, I do not think you can find a better firearm today. The P99 has it all: accuracy, reliability,concealability and ergonomics. The P99 beats some higher priced handguns in all these catagories.

I like to use a heavier oil(sticky) on all contact points:
slide rails, top front of barrel hood where it contacts with the ejection port, and the front of the stiker where the trigger mechanism makes contact, and also the top of trigger bar that pushes the firing pin safety up.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Walther has been around a lot longer than some of the other very poplular companies ....ie. Glock. So Walther knows how to make a good to excellent Semi-auto.

The only reason you don't see them as often as Glock [ in LEO's} is because they were not as aggressive selling their product here in the USA. Many "freebees" and one for one exchanges propelled Glock to the top.

Walther came to the dance first { with Beretta }, but failed to realize [ in time ] the trend in Law Enforcement to move to the more simply trigger configuration of DAO. This "revolver type" trigger pull offered a lot of safety features LEO's wanted.
Walther has now corrected their marketing plans { by only importing the DAO models} but way too late IMHO.

But the quality of their semi-autos has always been excellent and inovative. The P-88 is perhaps the best semi-auto made, but way too expensive to break through into the LEO ranks.
So they tuned the P-88 down and came up with the P-99 to meet the price point that was required to survive.

Check the "classifieds" of other forums and you will see loads and loads of Glocks "for sale".........but at the same time few Walthers. Certainly, they are fewer Walthers in the market place.......but I still think Walther owners are more likely to hold on to their P-99's rather than sell them. As said before by Babddr2 they are comfortable to shoot , very accurate and very reliable.

I don't have anything against S&W.......... but I think Walther would have been better served to have their own distribution center here in the USA. I guess the need for a "Service Center" in this country made Walther deal with a satellite company. I guess Walther felt Building their own would have been cost prohibitive & S&W does do a good job with service.

As far as care.........just keep the rails lubricated well & the weapon will not fail you. I am in the process of testing some "grease" used in the "Astronomy" field on telescopes. This grease has an excellent operating temperature of -20 F. to over +400 F. It sticks and stays where it is put. It is expensive...but the best usually is. I will let the group know how that turns out.

If you believe that you can "season" a barrel --- I personally do---- than after every 50 rds. wipe the barrel clean with a patch lightly soaked in a solvent. Than apply another patch containing a "LIGHT" amount of good grade gun oil. Work this patch good inside the barrel. Than continue to fire. Use this cycle for the first 200 rds and you are good to go. The copper jacketed bullets will "hone" the lands & grooves, while the LIGHT coating of oil will be forced into the pores of the metal of the new barrel. Don't over heat the gun or barrel the first few times out..........that can come later. Over time the barrel will seat itself to the slide & it will also expand slightly. You will find ammo that fits very tightly when the gun is new, will just drop from the chamber { spent } as the gun breaks in.

JF.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Being a new P99AS owner as well, i can say that i'm proud of my purchase selection. I considered other models such as Sig P226 or Glock but the P99 held my fascination and respect. The shape and fit of the grip is second to none and very esthetically pleasing to the eye. Congrats on the purchase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts