Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went ahead and bought a new Walther P22 after a lengthy discussion w/ one of the gunsmiths at a local gunshop. He said most of the accuracy and reliability problems with the P22 are caused by using cheap ammunition. And, as I suppose it's well known, the older P22s had some problems as well which were corrected in the newer guns - primarily through a magazine redesign.

I spent yesterday evening, after the purchase, learning how to take down and reassemble the gun. Reassembly is a major ordeal - it took me 20 minutes to get the recoil spring held down on the recoil spring guide so that I could put the slide back on. At one point I lost my grip on the recoil spring guide while still holding the coiled spring and sent the guide sailing across the room.

The gun does NOT like Federal (Copperhead) ammunition. I had 3 FTE's and 1 FTF in 36 rounds. By that time I got frustrated and decided to try something else. I bought 100 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag (40 grain, 1235 FPS) and shot all 100 without a single failure. I went back this afternoon and shot another 75 rounds - again without a failure.

I'm a little disapointed that the gun is choosy w/ ammo, but overall I'm very satisfied.

M.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What about just field stripping for cleaning purposes? Is that procedure that you are referring to? If that the case than man, I dont know.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Whoa!

That's one way to reassemble the gun, but it should have come with a little black rod...

The rod is tapered, it'll go in the front of the slide in the guide rod hole (insert from the front), but only one way. Put the guide rod in the recess in the receiver, place the spring on (closed end goes toward the back of the gun).

Now, use the little black reassembly tool to guide the spring and guiderod through the hole in the slide while reassembling. It should take only 10 seconds or so to reassemble.

-stunks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a small little tip that I aquired through some fumbling around with my new P22... Use your cleaning rod (Without an attachment on the end) to keep the recoil spring in line. Just slide the cleaning rod through the front of the guide rod hole and slide the spring and guide rod onto the cleaning rod, then proceed to re-attach the slide. It is easier to handle than the little black helper rod they provided in the case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts