Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a Walther P99 in 9mm DA/SA, black. I am picking it up in 16 days! I am very excited. I am paying a bit more than I should for it ($595 before tax), but my money is going to a range/gunstore (Shooter's Paradise in Woodbridge, VA) that I frequent. The people there have been nothing but helpful to me, so I figure I'd give them my business.

I know that a lot of people use a heavier weight round during break-in for some reason. What is the reason behind this and what weight (115, 124, 147 gr) is optimal?

Also, I am wondering if anybody has had trouble with CCI Blazer 9mm FMJ 115 or 124gr rounds. I found them for a great price and I may stock up on them after I fire a few to test, but I wanted to know if anybody on this board has had personal experience with it.

-Thanks!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
CCI Blazer 115gr is GREAT in my P99. The reason for the break-in with the 124gr is that the recoil spring is calibrated for that bullet weight. That being said, shoot some 115gr Blazer and see if you have any issues. If you don't, you are good to go. If you do, then shoot some 124gr for the first 200 rounds or so, then see if the problem goes away.

For the record, ALL of my P99s have worked flawlessly with any weight of ammo from out of the box new.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! My P99 had one ejection problem the very first round I ever fired through it. Around 3000+ rounds later, it's been flawless and accurate!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for everybody's replies!

I am going to go to Wal-Mart soon and pick up various brands of 115 and 124 gr FMJ rounds to test. If the CCI Blazer 115gr FMJs work well, I'll order a bunch of that elsewhere.

I'll tell you all how my experience at the range is after I get it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know and would refer to the gentlemen who have above explained the need of a heavier round... plus I shoot the .40 so I liked to mix-match 165 Win and 180 Speller & Bellot..

·
Registered
76 Posts
I put 150, 115 gr 9mm rounds through my P99 with only one malfunction with one round if it was loaded as the first round in the mag loaded as the last round it chambered and fired fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts