Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all!
I just joined here, doing some research into a pistol that was handed down to me. It belonged to my wife's Grandfather who brought it back with him from serving in WWII. I have a brief, somewhat cloudy history of his time throughout the war, starting in Scotland before D-Day. From there it gets confusing, he never talked about his time overseas... to anyone. I'm in the process of requesting records to fill in some holes because as of now I only have stories from here & there with no way to authenticate them (Entered Normandy on June 6th, was AAA, also worked on radar, was allegedly told to kill himself if ever captured, worked with the French resistance, helped in the defense of Antwerp and was at the Bulge). He wrote his wife literally everyday that he could, but never revealed a single thing in the 100's of letters though. Loose lips sink ships, after all. Somewhere in all of that, he found or acquired this pistol. I'm hoping I can tie everything together.

Anyway, so far as I've seen, you all have an amazing collection of information and I greatly appreciate anyone who has contributed to any of it! Can't wait to dig in!

Here's an album of the above mentioned pistol:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MTUxfgnQZ2o8t99W8

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
"...always call a whore a lady. Their lives are hard enough, and it never hurts to be polite.”

The book doesn't sound terribly interesting, but I like that line.

Your pistol is a very late Walther PP, made in the last couple months of the war. It was at least fully proofed.

Wipe it down with some oil.

M

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks for the information, Mike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Don’t keep it in its holster because it will cause more damage to the finish.

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
If you don't know what is scratching the magazine you might remove the grips and insert the mag to make sure there isn't a burr in there dragging on it. Doesn't seem likely as the scratch isn't straight but would be a good time to inspect and put a little oil on the mainspring and sear/hammer assembly. A little dab will do it. Nice pistol. 1917

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Lots of very knowledgeable folks here. Good looking pistol you have there. If it could talk, I'm sure it could tell some stories. Welcome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts