Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my P99 yesterday and will be taking it out to break it in and put it through its paces tomorrow. I do have one question though. Does anybody else require a bit of force or require two fingers to manipulate the magazine release when you have a full 10 round magazine inserted? Maybe the magazine springs need to be broken in or something, but unless I use two fingers to pull down both sides of the mag release, I cannot release the mag with just my trigger finger when a fully loaded magazine is inserted. Once I cycle a round into the chamber (leaving only 9 rounds left in the magazine), I am able to release the magazine using my trigger finger with ease. I lubricated the mag release and all moving parts associated with it when I disassembled it to lube it up for tomorrow's fun and still had trouble. I'm just curious if this is the way the gun is. I used to have a .40 S&W P99 but sold it, however I cannot remember if I had this issue.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It was a case with my .40 for the first few range trips. After the pistol has been broken in everything was okay. It never happened with my 9mm though.

Val

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a P99 in 9mm and I always have to release the magazine using my left (non-shooting) hand. To me, this is a fabulous handgun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Both my wife's and my P-99's got a lot easier to work the mag release after 500+ rounds.

Mine was particularly tight for the mag release and the slide didn't feel like it was moving that freely until I had more than 300 rounds through it. The odd thing is it never failed to cycle properly and got more accurate as it loosened up a bit.

Have fun shooting your new gun.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Try pushing up a little on the mag with your support hand before manipulating the lever. I think it eases the tension from the fully loaded mag. Works for me...good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
certainly this condition is being caused by the pressure exerted on the mag release because of the full magazine. I would not consider this a problem because under normal circumstances you would not want a full mag to be released from the gun easily.

I'm sure that if you lock the slide back and try it with a full mag it will release easily but I'm sure if you try it with an empty magazine you will notice a slight difference just because of the difference in weight hanging on the release.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If the problem is only experienced when there are a full 10 rounds in the magazine, then I would think the problem would go away after the magazine springs wear in.

In my first trip to the range, the springs were very tough. I could not fit the 10th round into the magazines. After a few magfuls the springs loosened up and I could fit the 10th round in. I suspect that releasing the magazine will also become easier as the springs loosen up a bit.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you do a search you will find that I did some testing regarding the hard to insert/eject full magazine problem that I had with my KI 9mm.

I also thought that it was just a stiff spring and will in time loosen up. Wrong. After further inspection and this was with all of my mags, new and old I found that with ten rounds in the mag the spring actually experiences coil bind. This is when all the winding's of the spring stack up solid.

You could leave a mag full for a hundred years and it still would be the same. The spring physically can not compress any more. I Inquired to Wolff's gun springs about this dilemma. They suggested I remove one coil and then field test it for functionality and reliability.

With one coil removed the mag(s) functioned flawlessly. It feels just like my HK USPC .40. It basically feels like the stock mag did before with 9 rounds.

I have over five thousand rounds thru my modified magazines with out 1 failure, none, zip, zero. I can insert and eject mags like normal.

I wonder if Megar uses the high cap springs for all the magazines and with the increase in floor plate on the ten rounders it’s just too much spring, not enough room. Maybe someone with high caps can compare the springs to a ten rounder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts