Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am new here and I just bought my new P99 yesterday. I got a 2005 QA 9mm in military green. I haven't shot it yet but I really want to soon! I got a green one because the store I special ordered it from said they couldn't find any all black ones from any of their distributors. Something about them being discontinued? Anyway when the store called me and told me this, I said I would take a green one instead and now I have it. Yay! I love the look and feel of this gun and I can't wait to shoot it. Sorry if I sound a bit too excited, but I have been wanting a P99 for a while and now I finally have one.

Just one question. What brands of ammo do all of you guys use for practice/target in your P99? What brands are good to purchase for personal protection in your P99? Just wanted a bit of an opinion is all. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Feed it whatever you want...it will eat them all. Find the most for the cheapest price...WWB 100 rd value pack at Wally world will do...the more you can shoot the better. As for personal defense, well you should get all kinds of opinions there...I use silver tips, hollow point, 115 or 124 gr.

·
Registered
95 Posts
congrats. give us a range report and let us know how you like the QA trigger as compared to anything else (maybe glock or P99 AS).

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've read GREAT things about the Winchester Ranger 147 gr. hollowpoint.  Also great stats on the 124 gr Ranger +p.

I like Speer Gold Dot too, probably in the 124 gr. +p variety.  Don't shoot a lot of +p though.  Run a bit through to make sure it feeds reliably, then just use it for carry.  Though the P99 is a robust design, I wouldn't want to add any additional wear and tear with +p all the time.  If +p bothers you, the 147 grain offerings from the top manufacturers are great standard pressure rounds that penetrate well and expand reliably out of shorter barrels.

Everyone will have their own opinions about self defense ammo, do a little research, and make your own decision that way.  Just stick with major manufacturers top loads.

+1 on the Winchester white box from walmart.  That's GREAT practice ammo for about 12 bucks per 100.

-stunks

EDIT: adding a picture I found on the net somewhere, it's interesting.

EDIT2: a member on another board recognized this picture as from gel testing done by Dr. Gary Roberts on tacticalforums.com testing in December of 2003.  Thought I should give credit where credit is due!  Thanks Dr. Roberts for a great chart.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys! Hopefully I will be able to get out to the range this weekend. I think I will get some Winchester white box ammo, too.

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Congratulations on the new handgun. I practice mostly with WWB and carry Hydra-Shoks. Nothing special here. Mine's a .40 though.

About the black frame being discontinued; sounds like a crock to me. If you like the green though, No harm, no foul I guess.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, the black being discontinued sounded like a crock to me too. But the green looks nice so I am happy with it.
I bought some 115gr. Winchester white box but I still haven't gone to the range. I read on the FAQ that Earl's Repair Service recommended using 124gr. or heavier to break in the P99. I don't know if that is true or not, but it won't hurt to buy some 124gr. ammo too.

Doesn't look like I will get to the range today, though.
Oh well, just another day or so of waiting.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I think it's pretty safe to shoot anything U want - just avoid +p ammunition (increased pressure on those types of rounds). Other than that, shoot anything you want.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've shot mostly WWB 115 FMJ through my P99 AS and P99c AS and had no problems. I shoot them more accurately than any other 9 mm I've owned (Sig P239 and P226R).

My SD ammo is Winchester Ranger 124 +P SXT, and they shoot fine too. I don't notice a huge difference in recoil or POI.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have a '98 & '04 model. The 98 really needed the 124 gr. to break it in properly. Story goes that the early European model springs were set up for 124 gr. weight. I know that mine wouldn't handle some of my target reloads until it was broke in...now no problem. The 04 had the US market specifically in mind so it came with lighter springs to function easier with the ever popular 115 gr. for the US market. At least that is what I was told by Walther America and it seemed to work that way with my to 9mms. Now both eat whatever I feed them with out any hiccups.

·
Registered
72 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MLB78 @ Sep. 22 2005,15:31)]Just one question. What brands of ammo do all of you guys use for practice/target in your P99? What brands are good to purchase for personal protection in your P99? Just wanted a bit of an opinion is all.
I buy Fiocchi 9mm locally for $6/box, usually it is 115gr, but one time it was 147gr.

I carry Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+, but if I didn't have access to that I would gladly carry Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P.

"NYPD continues with the 9mm limitation, but issues the 124 grain +P Speer Gold Dot. Orlando, Fla., PD gets no beefs from street cops about the 9mm SIG P226s they've carried as long as most on the force can remember, because they're issued the dynamic Winchester Ranger 127 grain +P+ load at 1,250 fps, which has earned a real-world reputation for putting bad guys down with authority." (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_172_28/ai_n6204144)

Federal Hydrashock has a good reputation in 45 ACP but a bad reputation in 9mm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congrats, you gonna love it. My P99 is dated 2001, and it´s still going strong.

I recomend you use factory ammo, like WW, AE, Federal, Remington. Stay away from armscorp, I had bad experienced with it, failure to extract, misfires....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Range: CCI Blazer @ $4.59/50 is the cheapest I have bought on-line from Natchezss on sale but I noticed that I get more aluminum shavings after using that ammo than I do when I use the brass Remington PMC @ $4.99/50. Never had a failure to do anything with either of them.

Defense: I like the Corbon line. Its rated for high velocities 1,350 (regular 115gr) and 1,475 (powerball 100gr) and I have only heard good things about them. They do give incrementally more recoil than other defense ammo like the hydrashoks or golddots but as far as I am concerned its not big enough a difference that I'd avoid the slight extra recoil. Ammolab testing showed positive results for Corbons opening up.

Any American hollowpoint ammo is good for defense and I just choose to use the hotter and cheaper loads. At my shop I can get the corbons for $14 for 20 rounds while the golddots and hydrashoks are going for $20.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I used WInchester White Box - 115 grain yesterday on my new P99c. Had no problems. Also shot about 20 rounds of 3 different hollow points including Gold Dot and Hydra Shok. Not a single problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts