Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I stopped by my local gunshop (Shooter's Paradise) and picked up a Walther P99 SA/DA in 9mm, black. I love it! I fired 110 rounds through it. I have shot handguns before (a few try-out rounds here and there), but I have not been able to control shot placement from the beginning anywhere near as well as I did with the P99. This weapon just fits. All 110 rounds fed and ejected flawlessly. I had 1 misfire, but a second DA strike made the round go off.

I used CCI Blazer and Winchester White Box, both 115gr FMJ. Winchester blew out a puff of white smoke after every shot. The CCI burned cleaner, so I will use that in the future.

I found the mags incredibly hard to load the first time. I could only load 9 rounds. After a few loads, the mags softened up and I could fit 10 in there without much trouble.

A semi-funny thing happened to me. In the Walther manual, it warns to be careful not to pinch or cut your fingers by getting them in the ejection port when pressing the slide release. At the time I read this, I thought you'd have to be pretty stupid to do this. Being left handed, I was trying different ways to manipulate the slide release today. One time, I held the weapon in my left and and reached over the top of the weapon with my right, using my index finger to push the slide release. CHOMP...a quick, painless, but deep cut into the fleshy part of my index finger. I won't do that again

This evening, after cleaning the P99, I replaced the backstrap with the smallest one. It now fits my hand much better and I am looking forward to a trip to the range to test the differences.

I had one question for you all about lubricating the weapon. I noticed that it came from the factory with a much heavier grease than the cleaning oil that I normally use to clean/lubricate my firearms. Will using this lighter oil (Kleenbore Formula 3) be less protective than the heavier stuff that was used to lubricate the weapon from the factory? If so, what is the name of this heavier lubricant?

Thanks so much for everybody's help in the past. I am very excited that I can be a true member of this board now, and I fully understand everybody's enthusiam for these fine firearms now, having aquired one myself.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Instead of awkwardly using the slide release with your right hand, try using the "slingshot method". With either a loaded mag or no mag, pull back on the slide and let go. Have the slide slam forward by itself.

Some people suggest this as a preferred method to use all the time (even for righties). It requires a course muscle movement, which supposedly has advantages during high stress situations. This works with most or all auto pistols. If you are using a gun that is not your own, this method will feel much more natural than trying to manipulate a differently located slide release.

This is just a suggestion of something to try. I won’t say it’s better or worse, the right or wrong way to do it. BTW, I'm right handed and typically use the slide release.

Don

·
Registered
187 Posts
Congrats on your new P99!
I picked up my P99 9mm, 8/02.
I've had no issues with it. I played around a bit with the backstraps and settled on the medium. I plan to add Mepro night sights sometime soon.
Re: the slide release, I tend to lean towards the sling-shot method myself, pull back on slide & release (with left hand), with all my semi-autos. Re: Lube, I use a very small amount of Brownell's Action Lube on the rails, and locking lugs of the barrel, plus light oil or CLP where necessary. As temperatures drop into the twenties, I'll switch back to all CLP/oil (as long as I can get thru the snow at the range, I prefer outdoors, vs. indoor range). I clean at the workbench with MP7, use a Silicone cloth right after range sessions, and use the Simple Green & water solution to scrub the frame every few months depending on rounds fired.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your replies!

Bessonguy, I will try the 'slingshot' method at my next trip to the range.

kbc, I'll ask my local gunshop about the Brownell's Action Lube the next time I go to the range. They can usually order anything firearms related for me within a few days. I have a speedloader for the magazines coming in a few days and I think my fingers will thank me for it!

I looked at the serial numbers and date codes on my weapon. It has the date code AD so it was manufactured in 2003.

I am confused about the serial number. The Walther FAQ says that a 6 in the second digit of the serial number means that the weapon was made by S&W. My serial number is 068XXX. However, I have all the eagle over N proofmarks on the slide, barrel hood, and frame. In addition, this weapon is a 9mm, which are all supposed to be 100% German. What does the discrepancy with the serial number's second digit mean?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Another advantage to using the slingshot method is you are using the whole force of the spring to chamber the round, which_could_help in the malfunctioning department.

And while I am no expert, I was at the gunshop today to purchase a shotgun and asked if the new P99s are all German. He told me the frame on the new P99s are made by S&W but the slide and barrel are still made by Walther. He also stated that the new ones have all the proofmarks. Can someone else confirm this?

Congrats on the purchase! Glad you like it!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe ASCI White is correct - The frame does and has always said "Made in Germany". On the other side, it says "Ulm, Do". The source of the frame is unquestionably German. However, I am curious about the rest of the pistol.

My particular weapon is working wonderfully. I have yet to experience any FTE or FTF. The pistol is breaking in well. I've shot 260 rds through it so far. Whether various parts were made my S&W or by Walther Germany will not affect my opinion of the firearm itself. I am just curious about its manufacture. That said, I'd prefer all the parts to have been from one source - it just seems to make more sense to me to have everything made and put together in one spot.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I remember commenting in another post about this, so I did a quick double check to make sure I'm not reposting in this thread.

When I bought my P99 I asked my salesman where it was made and we even took out one of the .40's. My 9 and the .40 both had the eagle of N on the slide and barrel and should both have been made in Germany because of that. Also I don't know the last time that FAQ was updated but if it's prior to say 2003 it might be inaccurate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Be leery of what you hear from gun shops. They usually know a lot less than you think they do. Even the SW99 frames are made in Germany, so you know he's wrong there, so don't assume any other statements are accurate.

I've been using Tetra gun grease on the slide rails. It is working extremely well. Since I carry my pistols, I don't want the lube weeping out of them while they're holstered muzzle down.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to the range again today and shot another 200 rds. I used the slingshot method of releasing the slide after loading a fresh mag. It worked beautifully. I can keep my shooting hand where its supposed to be and release the slide quickly and comfortably. Thanks for the tip Bessonguy! My finger btw is healing well and I'm not worried at all about it happening again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I practice shooting with my weak hand (left), just in case I have to. I found releasing the slide with my trigger finger worked pretty easily.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts