Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone! I just brought my first .22 pistol and i have a question.
ok so, i also have a walther ppq m2, and when i cycle the ammo by racking the slide, it ejects just fine!
but when i try to do that with my new p22, the shells dont seem to eject well, like it wont cycle at all, the extractor doesnt seem to grab on to the shell. is that normal for this p22? i havent had the chance to take it to the range yet, but im just curious. Can you cycle your p22 without shells being stuck in the barrel? does your extracor work well? thanks for any answers, if you dont understand my question please tell me so i can reword it:)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase. The P22 is a blowback design and uses the pressure of the round to eject the casing, it does have an extractor which should strip the round but some 22 ammo works better for this.
Best guess is being new a couple trips to the range with some cleaning of the chamber and lube you'll see more consistent extraction.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sometimes my P22 will not extract a round when manual working the slide, but most of the time it does. FYI, P22’s are a bit finicky about the ammo it likes. Good results are achieved with high velocity ammo such as CCI Mini Mags, and Remington Golden Bullets. Even or especially since it is a new gun, give it a good cleaning. Just a LIGHT amount of oil on the slides and internals is about all you need. Others may disagree, but these things do need to breakin a bit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congratulations on your new purchase. The P22 is a blowback design and uses the pressure of the round to eject the casing, it does have an extractor which should strip the round but some 22 ammo works better for this.
Best guess is being new a couple trips to the range with some cleaning of the chamber and lube you'll see more consistent extraction.

oh ok! that makes sense. do you think i should just find a extractor to replace just to be safe? i really like this gun so i wanna make sure its going to be reliable and no hiccups! ill gladly spend another $200 on any internal upgrades that will possibly make it more reliable :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes my P22 will not extract a round when manual working the slide, but most of the time it does. FYI, P22’s are a bit finicky about the ammo it likes. Good results are achieved with high velocity ammo such as CCI Mini Mags, and Remington Golden Bullets. Even or especially since it is a new gun, give it a good cleaning. Just a LIGHT amount of oil on the slides and internals is about all you need. Others may disagree, but these things do need to breakin a bit.

thats good mines isnt the only one with this problem! i just didnt know if this was normal or not, because like i said my ppq extracts the shells just fine. but ya i heard the p22 was picky about ammo, i brought 500 round brick of the thunderbolt ammo but it said high velocity, so im hoping my p22 will like that, because it was only $20 and ill buy at least 10 boxes to have around lol.. instead of paying $10-20 for 50 rounds of the good ammo (i think thats how much it is, i forgot lol)

·
Registered
739 Posts
I wouldn't spend anything on it until you take it to the range and see how it works cycling while firing.

It's not as picky on ammo, I've used Thunderbolt often without issues.

You might want to bring a cleaning rod to the range just in the event a case does get stuck you can't push it out from the muzzel with the slide off.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I wouldn't spend anything on it until you take it to the range and see how it works cycling while firing.

You might want to bring a cleaning rod to the range just in the event a case does get stuck you can't push it out from the muzzel with the slide off.

The above two suggestions are excellent advice.

I carry a small rod/brushes in a kit for just that purpose.

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
This issue has come up recently on a couple of QD models. The extractor barely reaches far enough forward to grab the rim of a chambered round. In one case the problem was apparently the shape of the head and the thickness of the chamber wall at the extractor cut. The combination would not let the extractor reach in far enough according to the owner. I know mine will reach the rim but not really securely.

It might help when unloading and extracting a round to grasp the slide in a manner where you can press down on the nose of the extractor while pulling the slide rearward.

Regarding ammo....I'd recommend plated ammo like CCI Mini Mags or Remington Golden Bullets. They are both snappy enough to reliably cycle the slide. 1917

·
Registered
53 Posts
What 1917 said, new P22's will probably not reliably cycle Thunderbolts, it, as a new gun , needs CCI Mini-mags or Rem Golden bullets. Walmart has CCi's for $7.50 per 100, and GB's in 525 bulk packs . Get some of them and be happy. After about 300 rounds your pistol may well accept TB's.

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
I was meeting with some folks today who had asked for advice on self defense firearms. I took a P22 along just for size and to illustrate the amt of pull required to cycle various pistols. I noticed that while the pistol was empty the woman placed her hand on the rear of the extractor when retracting the slide. The P22 extractor is very easily disengaged from the rim of a cartridge if you press in on the rear leg of it. So, keep your hand off the rear of the extractor when cycling the slide. If you have a stubborn round that won't extract, press down on the front of the extractor to increase pressure of the hook against the rim. BTW, this woman had no problems cycling any pistol I handed her. 1917

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
thats good mines isnt the only one with this problem! i just didnt know if this was normal or not, because like i said my ppq extracts the shells just fine. but ya i heard the p22 was picky about ammo, i brought 500 round brick of the thunderbolt ammo but it said high velocity, so im hoping my p22 will like that, because it was only $20 and ill buy at least 10 boxes to have around lol.. instead of paying $10-20 for 50 rounds of the good ammo (i think thats how much it is, i forgot lol)
The PPQ .22 is a larger pistol and with a better breech face for holding the round in position and a better extractor. While the P22 extractor can be a bit aggravating when manually extracting/unloading.....the extractor plays no part in extracting a spent case from the chamber when firing either pistol.

If you are practicing hand cycling rounds through the pistols just to see how that works, be careful, keep the safety on, guns pointed in a safe direction. The extractor is basically used for removing a live round that is in the chamber after you have dropped the magazine and are fully unloading the firearm. 1917

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've shot a ton of Thunderbolts, especially during the .22 shortage a few years ago. I got more failure to fires, well failures of all kinds, than any other brand I've ever shot. But, they're better than nothing. They tend to shoot more reliably in rifles than pistols and they WILL lead up your barrel, so keep an eye on that.

You can get CCI MM's for around .04 a round after rebate. I'd stock up on those.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.