Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from starting the process to get my P99. It is a .40 QA in the tan color. I paid $400 after taxes and DROS fees. Its brand new too. Now for the long and painful 10 day wait to clear my background check.

Any advice for a new owner? I saw a thread about p99 break in. any advice?

and i plan on doing that trigger fix after a trip to the range to see how it performs out of box. anyone in So Cal wanna go shooting or help me with the trigger fix? =)

btw, any other advice would be grrrreat!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Feed it well and often! It's a great gun out of the box, I know mine has been flawless in about 605 rounds.

Have fun!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Agree, feed it well! I'm a new P99 owner, bought a used P99 9mm, already gone through 500 rounds in 2 weeks.

Advice for a new owner: along with feeding it well, clean it well. I usually clean all my firearms right when I get home from the range. Learn the trigger, I have the AS so learning the trigger is more important for me. I know you can dry fire without snap caps according to Walther P99 FAQ (http://www.gunfaqs.org/P99FAQ/index.html) but I have the habit of using snap caps anyways. Figure out what front sight height is best for you. I started with the #6, shot about 2" low at 12yds, put the #3 shot 2" high, now have the #4's on. Last advice, read this board. There's a lot of good info in here.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Off topic - 10 day wait?!?! That is crazy. Gotta love Texas, brought mine home same day.

Back on topic, I would definitely wait til you have put a few hundred rounds through it before you start making changes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Get a big 'ol pile of winchester white box ammo, and some fun targets; I like the orange peel ones, but they do get pricey. I would say put at least 200 rounds downrange the first day. Don't make any sight adjustments at all until about 400 rounds; my QA shifted around a bit until it started to break in. (Which of course may have been my breaking in to the trigger; it takes a bit of getting used to).

Wear a hat with a brim. My first few hundred had erratic ejection, at 800 rounds now it reliably puts them front and right.

Fire it quite a bit before you do the trigger job; while it is a bit debated on the board, IMHO *some* 99's require break in. Yours might not.

Make sure you let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info guys. i will definitly keep all that in mind.

im buying a case of 1000 reloads. should I run normal ammo through it first, for a few hundred rounds before shooting the reloads?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
im buying a case of 1000 reloads. should I run normal ammo through it first, for a few hundred rounds before shooting the reloads?
First 500 rds I ran through mine were my own reloads. Didn't cycle correctly. Too light a load. So I fed it a consistent diet of factory ammo and later used up the light stuff. You may not have the same experience but just in case, keep this in mind.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hi Fong,

That ten-day wait is a PITA I know. What I don't know is how you found a P99-AS for under $400 here in the PRK. Must be decause the gun falls off the CalDOJ approved list in six months and they want to unload inventory. Inventory has been hard to find here in the Bay Area; I got mine from out-of-state. Enjoy yours.

Russell

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just got back from starting the process to get my P99. It is a .40 QA in the tan color. I paid $400 after taxes and DROS fees. Its brand new too. Now for the long and painful 10 day wait to clear my background check.

Any advice for a new owner? I saw a thread about p99 break in. any advice?

and i plan on doing that trigger fix after a trip to the range to see how it performs out of box. anyone in So Cal wanna go shooting or help me with the trigger fix? =)

btw, any other advice would be grrrreat!
What is the "trigger fix" that is mentioned in this post?

I have an AS model. The trigger seems fine. Does this trigger fix only apply to the QA trigger?

Hopefully this is not a stupid question.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts