Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new here. I just purchased a 9mm PPQ. I live in Florida so although I purchased the pistol I have to wait until friday to pick it up. I plan on heading straight to the range with it on friday and put some rounds through it. Really looking forward to that. My question is, I have read that Walther recommends not shooting +P ammo in the PPQ. So what is a good 9mm defense round to use in this firearm? Looking forward to reading post on this forum. Right now I am trying to learn as much as I can about the PPQ.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Any 124gr JHP should be fine.

Reactions: tylerlayne

·
Registered
705 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase.
Any reputable hollow point would be good for defense ammo.
For practice any quality ammo is GTG I personally like NATO spec ammo, while not +P it's hotter than standard 9mm and have never had a problem.

If you want to train with the same ammo you'll carry a good option is American Gunner in a 75 pack. The price is more expensive than ball ammo but reasonable for target practice.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/hor...mo-115-grain-xtp-75-rounds-90247-p-58762.aspx

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
Welcome to the Forums!
The PPQ 9 is a fine weapon, highly accurate with a superb trigger. I've used both the 9mm and the Q45 personally and professionally with the addition of a good set of night sights (in my case TFX Pros) you won't a better striker platform.

124 gr ammo is certainly a great way to break in your weapon and a good way to find your ammo is ammoseek an ammo search web site that will allow you to find the best deals for ammo out there: https://ammoseek.com/ammo/9mm-luger?ca=brass

I have the site set for 9mm brass case ammo to show you how it works but you can set it for any type of ammo, caliber or need: FMJ, hollow point brand, price or amount as well. A great tool to save money.

I use GECO 124 FMJ at the range and Speer 124 Gold Dot or Federal 124 HST as my EDC.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You've purchased a fine gun. Accurate, reliable and fun to shoot, it's a very capable platform.

9mm ammunition has come a long way. There are a lot of good loads out there these days but the two Osoul mentions are pretty much the "gold standards" in 9mm 124gr loads. You can't go wrong with either of those two.

The only thing the PPQ needs out of the box is a good set of sights. The plastic ones the PPQ comes with are pretty flimsy. There are much better options available.

My opinion is you should not skimp on sights. Get sights you can see well in any light conditions. Get a set that are durable and hold up under less than optimal circumstances.

I too favor the exact sights Osoul mentions but there are other good choices out there as well. A quick search of the forum will bring up much discussion on the merits of various sight options.

Good luck. Let us know how its going and once again, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
PPQ is a great gun. One of the best striker fired guns out there.

Let me address the +p question. As an instructor, I do not recommend these rounds. They can over penetrate, more difficult to make follow up shots, and hard on equipment. I also recommend carrying what the local police carry which is almost always JHP rounds.

In the end, do what you want though. It’s your gun and your life.

One time I WOULD is +P rounds would be large animal defense.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Always fun to read the those things....while sound advise, you can almost hear the lawyers whispering in their ears.

One statement in the manual they make which I think is wrong, is that heavier rounds result in less recoil. Not true, unless rhe velocity remains constant.

Ke=1/2 m x V^2

·
Registered
323 Posts
Congrats, PPQ can handle +P, not sure where you heard differently.

Should be able to handle +P+ as well, Walther just letting lawyers do their thing.

Try some Federal or Speer 115 +P+ it's a hoot to shoot.

Have fun, stay safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ditto to WaterDR on +P.

I did extensive comparisons between weights and brands, and found (as have many others) that my particular PPQ M2 likes 124gr better than any other weight.

What really shocked and delighted me was that it shoots remarkably tighter groups with Browning 124 BPT FMJ than ANY other round. Why is that shocking? Because I can buy it off the shelf at Academy Sports here in Texas for $25/150 rnds.

Browning makes "companion" JHP ammo called BXP, but only in 147, so I'm still relying on Speer Gold Dot/Lawman in 124gr.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
124gr/1200 fps ammo for all my 9mm handguns, even the classics (P5 (w/8lb recoil springs)/P6/P7).

The 3 day wait reminds me of this......

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
There so many choices in 9mm is can be confusing. The PPQ will almost assuredly shoot most of them well.

For the OP, I'd keep the response simple. Find yourself some 124grn Federal HST or Speer Gold Dots. Done. Self Defense needs against two legged critters handled.

No need to use +P. More wear and tear on the gun and more recoil. There was a time many thought +P was needed in a 9mm. That is not really the case anymore. The non +P stuff will expand and penetrate well enough.

The OP can experiment with all mater of 9mm loads if he wishes but just using Federal HST or Gold Dots keeps it simple.

My advice is keep it simple and put the emphasis on practice and training. Competency with the handgun is more likely to save your bacon than the specifics of any particular wonder bullet.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Jimmo got it right, HSTs or GoldDots for self-defense, though testing on the IL State Police 115 +P+ Federal loads (I have Gold Dots in same) show some pretty devastating wound channels.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you did not mention the gun shop, but if twas ShootStraight, then make sure you get a free range pass when you accept delivery (of any gun)
I bought it at a local gun store. I am a member of a outdoor range so all I have to do is supply the ammo and a couple of targets. I also have a glock 21,a glock 22 and a S&W .22 target pistol. Also have numerous rifles. I will never buy another Smith & Wesson. I bought my target pistol brand new. It worked great for a couple years but got to where the firing pin would hit the round so close to the edge that it would misfire 3 out of 10 rounds. Sometimes it would bend the casing and get jammed in the chamber. I sent it to S&W 3 different times to have this fixed and each time they would send it back saying they had fixed the problem only to have it do the same thing. I tried all kinds of different brands ammo with the same results. S&W will not even talk to me anymore about me sending it back to them to be repaired. I feel like if they are going to give a lifetime warranty on their firearms if they can not fix it they should replace it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Congrats, they are pretty sweet. I used to shoot 1,000 rounds a week and most of it out of my PPQs, and the PPS M2. PPQ- SUB, and PPQ .45. Then the PPQ 22, so I think they are quite excellent.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Q5

Ditto to WaterDR on +P.

I did extensive comparisons between weights and brands, and found (as have many others) that my particular PPQ M2 likes 124gr better than any other weight.

What really shocked and delighted me was that it shoots remarkably tighter groups with Browning 124 BPT FMJ than ANY other round. Why is that shocking? Because I can buy it off the shelf at Academy Sports here in Texas for $25/150 rnds.

Browning makes "companion" JHP ammo called BXP, but only in 147, so I'm still relying on Speer Gold Dot/Lawman in 124gr.
I also did extensive group size testing at 25 yards, off of a pistol rest. I tried many brands of 115, 124 and 147 grain ammo and found that the brands varied the group sizes, just as much as the weights.
My best results with my Q5 poly was with American Eagle 124 grain FMJ. which yields groups around 1.50 inches (on a good day with no wind) with the factory iron sights. I now have a Vortex Venom 6moa reflex sight on it, but haven't tested it yet. The dot is kind of big for bullseye shooting. I would imagine a smaller dot would yield groups around an inch or so.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts