Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , This is my !st post here, I am posting This on the behalf of my brother who owns a P99 but is having computer problems now. He has had FOUR!! mags break thus far. The first was the day he purchaced the gun and went to the range to test fire it. The 1st load up and CRACK the floor plate crumbles, he didn't even get off the 1st shot, spring pressure alone broke it.  The second broke after 50 rounds or so. This left him with none. He called S&W and they said they would send him some new plates, he said he'd rather have new mags, the guy said sorry, I'll send you 3 bace plates but no mags.
He picked up 2 more 10 rounders  because thats all he could find and 1st 5 rounds loaded crumbled the floor plate. the second one actually lasted 150 rounds before breaking. MEG- GAR junk!!!!  
The good news is he got his 2 free hi cap mags from S&W that he mailed off for when he purchaced the gun and S&W sent him 3 new hi caps instead of bace plates, so he is sitting good on mags now. I have seen alot of post on this topic and S&W now has a black eye with MEG-GARs name on it.  I was told by a friend of mine who is a firearms instructor / dealer that he once lost his butt buying MEG-GAR mags for Glocks. He wound up throwing the whole batch away rather than risk selling any more to people. They worked so poorly he couldn't risk one getting someone killed.  MEG-GAR won't be forgottin buy me that's for sure. Thanks JIm

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, I have to say you're the first person I've ever heard that had problems like that with Mec-Gar mags.

Just one problem, though -- Mec-Gar doesn't make mags for the S&W SW99 or the Walther P99 or Glock. They make PPK and PP mags for Walthers and 59/915/910 series mags for S&W. They do not now, nor ever have, made any magazines for Glock.

So your brother might want to go back and check his facts before he starts trashing Mec-Gar.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Actually, Mec-Gar does make the mags under license for Walther's P99.  I have several with both Walther's stamp and Mec-Gar's. The main problem as I understand it has been the plastic they used on the base plate for the P99 mags.  I believe several individuals have received replacement SW99 mag base plates and have had the problem solved.  The rest of us who are not limited to ten round magazines don't seem to have this problem.

I had one question for Jim Bow though...  Are you sure your friend had Mec-Gar Glock mags?  I don't recall Mec-Gar ever making Glock mags either for the company under license or as after market mags.  I looked at the company's product list and it's not there.  

List of Mec-Gar Mags

Just to put things in perspective regarding Mec-Gar, that company makes many OEM magazines under license for the many quality gun manufacturers.  In general, they have the best mags on the market.  I believe the problems people are having with the 10 round P99 mags in .40 S&W are not representative of Mec-Gar quality.  I have several non-Walther related Mec-Gar mags and they have all functioned reliably.

·
Registered
310 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BreakerDave @ Feb. 09 2005,10:37)]Actually, Mec-Gar does make the mags under license for Walther's P99.  I have several with both Walther's stamp and Mec-Gar's.  
List of Mec-Gar Mags
Breaker -

That's the same reference I used for Mec-Gar...and they don't list P99 as one of the models they make. Maybe they aren't allowed to sell under their own name.

I completely agree with you on Glock. Mec-Gar never has, nor probably ever will, manufactured magazines for any Glock weapon.

I also agree that they are among the most reliable after-market mags available. I have them for my Sig and my Ruger and they are 100%.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Navy87Guy @ Feb. 10 2005,5:55)]Maybe they aren't allowed to sell under their own name.
Right...  When I spoke with Mec-Gar while ordering some BHP magazines, the salesperson explained that Walther owns the equipment (templates, I guess) that are required to make the P99 mags.  That is why Mec-Gar can make them under license for Walther but not for themselves to sell publicly.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Navyguy, as BD said, every factory P99/SW99 mag is made by Mec-Gar. You don't list a P99 as one of your guns so I understand you used the MG list instead of looking at a mag in your hand.

Once the mags started breaking they should have sent replacement floorplates to all dealers that had stock and to all registered users (probably small percentage but still). And of course replace all floorplates on mags that haven't shipped yet. To keep shipping mags with known faulty floorplates is nearly inexcusable. Gun manufacturers are afraid of getting sued when their guns go 'bang' at the wrong time but I guess they don't fear a lawsuit because a gun DIDN'T go bang when it was supposed to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll E mail the friend of mine about what type of Mec-gar mags he had to trash.
I am ont one to trash a company easly, This is the 1st time I have ever left a tread like this but the poor quality of these mags is riduclous!! As a matter of fact my brother who really likes this gun, said he would never have picked one up if he knew ahead of time about the mag issues he would have.
People don't look at the mags as Mec-gar mags they look at it as the mags that come with Walther P99s. Walther sent us a E mail about this saying S&W was at fault for buying the defective mags from Mec-gar. tha bad thing is they have Walthers name stamped on them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Purchased p99 few days ago and have same problem with mags. Both floor plates broke off within first 75 at the range. Very emberassing and did not expect this from Walther. Hope they will take care of this problem by other means than just sending more of these junk mags. Shame on Walther.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
This has been a recent problem. I've had and still have .40 P99's dating back to 1998 that have not had this problem. I recently bought a brand new 12 round one also that hasn't been a problem either.

Get the new floor plates and go shoot!

·
Registered
310 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ArchieO @ Mar. 09 2005,9:42)]Purchased p99 few days ago and  have same problem with mags. Both floor plates broke off within first 75 at the range.
Just out of curiosity...is it a .40 or 9mm? Jimbow never did clarify his first post, but the trend seems to be problems with the .40 mags.

We'll see...I just bought 4 more 16-rd mags for my P99 9mm!

Jim

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'll add to the cachophony - all my 9mm mags say both Walther and Mecgar on them. The pics show both sides. My PPK/S mags on the other hand show either Walther or Mecgar but not both.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hal - got 'em at CDNN. Actually, I bought 2 last week and 2 more this week. $38.99 each -- steep compared to my Sig or Ruger mags, but worth it to have more rounds to put down range in a hurry!

If you go to their web site (www.cdnninvestments.com), click on "Magazines" then the "Civilian Legal Magazines, Marked LEO" link.

Jim

·
Registered
471 Posts
Darn it! Theyre out of stock.
You must have got the last ones Navy87Guy...
I'll check them again later...  

·
Registered
8 Posts
These are 40s&w 10 round mags. I am from NY and no hi cap for us. I have got the replacement mags but they look same I will try them out soon.

·
Registered
310 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hal8000 @ Mar. 10 2005,1:43)]Darn it! Theyre out of stock.
You must have got the last ones Navy87Guy...
I'll check them again later...  
I guess that makes up for them selling the last Ruger P93 trade-in the day before I called!

Jim

·
Registered
310 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hal8000 @ Mar. 15 2005,10:13)]Waaaaaa
 CDNN does not even list them any more! waaaaa...
Yes they do...they just changed it from "Walther" to "S&W". They did that late yesterday -- I was looking in the afternoon and they were still under "Walther". I remember thinking that they should remove it if they're out of stock!

You might want to call and check with them again. I know they got a shipment of stuff in yesterday (including the HiCap mags for the Steyr M9!!)...so maybe if they updated the web site on the Walther it's a sign!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts