Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across a P990 9mm at a local dealer this evening. I tried it out and really liked it. Came home and checked out a bunch of different forums and magazines, including this one, and decided to add it to my list of potentials.

Later in the afternoon I went back and ended up purchasing the gun. I get to pick her up on the 21st.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also have the P990, .40 in stainless and black (QPQ).
I have ordered the sprinco recoil supression for it and I am currently beating my brains out trying to get an M6 or an LMR-2 to fit it.
I also want to have some work done on the trigger, I dont like how far back you have to pull it in order to fire the weapon...maybe I can do a swap with a P99.
Im sure you will love shooting it as much as I do, they are great fun and shoot true.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
welcome aboard phobos
You will see this is the most active Walther Forum around at least that I know of

It's great

·
Registered
34 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (phobos512 @ Mar. 11 2006,7:59)]I get to pick (my gun) up on the 21st.
Welcome to the board Phobos! Congrats on your new Walthers!

Quick question for all... is there a mandatory waiting period in all U.S. States? Do you need any licence to purchase?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
NO ... at least not here in Utah
I go to the gunstore and pick one out... backgroundcheck (not if you have a CCL.. they call BCI to make sure your CCL is still good) then the gun gets registered and I am out the store

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought both my walthers on the same say I found them. No lines, no waiting. God I love Texas.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does it very state to state? I am most intersted in Montana, Idaho or Washington State. The reason I ask is if I ever want to buy a gun in the U.S. to import to Canada.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Yes each state is different..... I am not sure about any of the States you mentioned.....
but being that you are Canadian I am not sure how that would work,,,,

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it varies state to state. Living in the great state of California (har har) where we have great weather and well, not much else, I get to wait 10 days prior to picking up any firearm. Have to make sure we're all nice and calmed down so we won't go commit a crime of passion, you know. We're all hotheads out here.

Oh and we don't have "permits" here, we have "Handgun Safety Certificates". You read a book, take a test, and get a card that proves you "know what you're doing", but it's not a permit.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I could buy a gun here in Utah just to go to the range with, without having any prior knowledge about guns.... given that you have a clean background
you fill out a paper that ask you 20 or so questions about criminal history .. the gunshop calls BCI and makes sure you are clean... provide your address and a ID cost  $7.50
If you have a concealed carry permit they just call BCI making sure it is valid and you have not gotten into recent trouble.... no cost to it
you pay for the gun and walk out the store.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can anyone offer any break-in hints? This is my first handgun (I have fired many thousands of rounds through varying types but have never owned before). I have read that I need to use 124gr bullets or better for the first ~300rds - are there other things I should be aware of?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
phobos
there is no need to use 124gr bullets......
I shot about 750 rounds through my P99 (and P99c) with 115gr factory magtech ammo
I would clean it... make sure you use some good lube on the slide rail (and 4 metal plates the slide runs on) I use Kleenbore TW25B High tech lubricant
I don't see any need of using high grain ammo.... you don't go out and drive your brand new car in high rpm to break it in neither.....(bad compparison but hey)..... I had no FTF or FTE on the regular 115gr so far...

Sniper350 has done a good writeup on cleaning your P99... and some tips on lube.... sorry to lazy to look for the link right now..

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
hahahah I had it bookmarked.... see how lazy I am... tooo lazy to look for myself again if I needed it
cleaning

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the links on cleaning - much appreciated.

So then as far as the ammo I'd be ok going down to Wallyworld and picking up a few 100rd boxes of WWB 115gr? That's what we typically shoot in my buddies' Glocks and S&Ws when we go to the range.

Also, should I clean and lube prior to first use? I'm thinking yes, but want other's opinions.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I would clean and lube... as all my P99's had dry slide rails out of the box and sticky grease on the inside of the slide behind the barrel

I have only used 115gr one my 9mm P99's .... I love the Magtech ones... they shoot clean... and I can buy them in bulk at the range I shoot...... I refuse to buy Wally world.... but yea you could go there and get 115gr.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
very personal choice

I gladly support my local small mom and pop store.... or Gun range in that matter.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not yet, I pick her up on Tuesday (PRK has a 10-day wait). Definitely will that evening though

1 - 20 of 33 Posts