Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really shocking that it’s in a California FFL of all places. Estate consignment.

Who here owns one? Not going to buy it, but would love t hear stories about it. Please share!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I was in the bidding on a JVM P38 chambered in 357Sig last year, had to drop out when it went up too high IMHO.
Settled on a +98% (bluing, strawing and DARK purple flame bluing of pivot pins and assorted screws) JVM restored all original DWM 1900 American Eagle, just outside the US Cavalry Trials guns (7845 S/N). Gun was produced on the "Classic" line, most S/Ns and proofs are internal (disassembly required to view).
This is a display gun in my man cave (beside my P5 Lang).

Attachments

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Ooooo. A P38 in .38 Super sounds like a bad idea. It obviously was converted, and a Martz gun is a thing of beauty. But, the Super is a hot cartridge, and P38's have been known to crack slides with 9mm ammo. I'd be reluctant to shoot it.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
They are all different, and thus, priced accordingly. Some are simple, and some are chopped down both height and length, with custom grips, polishing, etc. And then there are the caliber conversions. He used to take two Lugers and take the oversized left and right sections after cutting them in quasi-half, to make a .45 Luger. Hard to put a price on that.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
I vote with Matiquig on this one; that does seem like a lot of rip for the P38/M9 locking system. I have heard of issues with the hot NATO ammo and the M9.
In any case, seems like a neat gun, but I'm not sure how much of a shooter.
Moon

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I vote with Matiquig on this one; that does seem like a lot of rip for the P38/M9 locking system. I have heard of issues with the hot NATO ammo and the M9.
In any case, seems like a neat gun, but I'm not sure how much of a shooter.
Moon
Agree.
IMHO, the P38 is being pushed near its limit with the 38 Super conversion.
Had I won the 357SIG JVM P38, a set of 8lb Wolf springs would have been installed before firing a few rounds to verify function (500 ft/lb ammo). Then display duty with the P5 Lange.

I can speak to the M9 running hot ammo, I have my WC 92G Brig Tac (SHTF handgun with dozens of mags) set-up to run this stuff.....
https://www.underwoodammo.com/produ...ed-jacket-hollow-point?variant=18785726824505

I keep a 1k round minimum of this Underwood 465 ft/lb ammo onhand for the M9. Also keep 1k of FMJ and .5k BJHP of 124gr/1200fps onhand for my other 9mm handguns .

The 92G B.T. has a W'Combat 20# IIRC (or 22#) recoil spring, and a WC recoil buffer. This has slowed the slide opening to the point where ejected brass hits the ground ~ 1 ft away from my rt. foot. Over 2k round of the Underwood/Gold Dots have been run without any issues.

IMHO, spring up for hot ammo, and change springs when brass start flying farther.

FWIW, I shoot the 124gr/1200fps ammo thru the P5 Lang, swapped the 6# springs for 8#s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts