Walther Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to forum, just inherited a model PPK from my father - an ex-Marine Corps fighter pilot.

Only fired it once due to repeated jamming of weapon. It is well cleaned and oiled, dad took excellent care of it, but ammo keeps getting stuck between magazine and chamber between firings. Do not know if dad had same problem as he passed away 1 year ago.

Thanks to this forum, I've checked recoil spring and it is in proper position.

Interarms of Alexandria VA is out of business, so where can I take/send the unit to get it fixed?

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
M&M Gunsmithing
M & M Gunsmithing

2423 Carter Grove Rd
Hazel Green, Al 35750
Phone: 571-276-7676
E-mail: [email protected]

Mike is a former Interarms gunsmith. He knows more about these pistols than anyone around.

Before you send it off, did you try different brands of ammo and also different magazines?

·
Registered
136 Posts
A Walther is an intricately balanced machine. Very slight imperfections can be the cause of your problems. Different ammunition may help as some manufactured loads are not powerful enough to eject properly. The ejector itself may not be working properly (i.e. is the required spring in place?) or simple lubrication of the rails and hammer hinge may help.

Keep reading on this forum, I was a newbie recently and have learned a TON of stuff from the experts here.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Assuming you are referring to failures to feed, the obvious area to check first is the gap between the magazine and the feed ramp.
Is it a nice smooth continuum or is there a speed bump there?

Start off looking for obvious simple things. That's usually where you find the problem.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Welcome ok!

No idea about your overall experience with firearms, so please do not be offended with my comments. They are meant to be instructive not critical... start with calibre. If it is a .32 and you have feeding issues, look to the ammo and magazine first for sure. If it's a .380, it needs round nose ball ammo to begin with. Remington or Federal seem to work in most examples.

The thing is a blow-back weapon, you have to concentrate on keeping your wrists from allowing the muzzle to rise, that "absorbs" a lot of the recoil it takes to cycle the thing. Particularly with the .380's. They want the recoil to be straight back.

Before you ship it off to be repaired, I'd suggest you go back to the range with a box of target ammo and practice concentrating to keep the sight picture AS you pull the trigger for a next round. That helps with the wrist control a bit.

EDIT: And we love photos!! Particularly when it's a PPK. And yours has a nice family history, too.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts

Only fired it once due to repeated jamming of weapon. It is well cleaned and oiled, dad took excellent care of it, but ammo keeps getting stuck between magazine and chamber between firings. ...
Just as in medicine, the symptoms determine the diagnosis, and the diagnosis points to the cure.

By "ammo", do you mean the cartridge being fed or the cartridge case being ejected? When the gun stops after firing a shot, exactly where and in what attitude is the fired case, and where and in what attitude is the next round to be fed?

M

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, this site is great! Plenty of thoughtful responses to my inquiry. I've tried three different magazine clips, all present the same problem w/the jamming. The jamming occurs after casing ejection, as new cartridge is being fed into chamber, it jams at about a 30 degree attitude and the slide is open, exposing the jammed bullet.
The PPK is a .380 and the ammo is the round nose ball type. However, the Walther manual calls for 95 gr FMJ and the stuff I inherited with the model is 90 gr FMJ. Perhaps the 5 gr differential makes a difference?
I'll try some different ammo, keep the muzzle from recoil lift, and re clean and oil the rail and hammer head.
Thank you all

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
And please do report back with the results?

·
Registered
713 Posts
I think new shooter is limp wristing I might be wrong but I don't see a person keeping a pistol around for years and either not shooting it or having it fixed if experience problem .
My oldest daughter had a boy friend that jammed every auto I had him try. I think that boy could jam a spear .

·
Super Moderator
7,601 Posts
My oldest daughter had a boy friend that jammed every auto I had him try. I think that boy could jam a spear .
It always pays to be more firearms adept than your daughter's boyfriend.
Moon

Reactions: kpasha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Michael T of Outback, KY:
I ain't your daughter's boy friend, and perhaps you should take your own advice about "might be wrong" instead of using it as a 2-bit excuse to just flap your jibes. My father, again, an ex-Marine Corps fighter pilot who was first a Bronze star recipient for his action as a rifleman with the 1st Marine Division in Korea, knew well how to care for a gun and passed it on to me. He was ill of health towards his waning years and in fact lent the PPK to a friend, who, perhaps out of neglect, left it in the condition I've inherited. So, keep your homophobic, limp-wristed speculations projected on your daughter's boy friends and bring some more respect to this forum and yourself.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Michael T of Outback, KY:
I ain't your daughter's boy friend, and perhaps you should take your own advice about "might be wrong" instead of using it as a 2-bit excuse to just flap your jibes. My father, again, an ex-Marine Corps fighter pilot who was first a Bronze star recipient for his action as a rifleman with the 1st Marine Division in Korea, knew well how to care for a gun and passed it on to me. He was ill of health towards his waning years and in fact lent the PPK to a friend, who, perhaps out of neglect, left it in the condition I've inherited. So, keep your homophobic, limp-wristed speculations projected on your daughter's boy friends and bring some more respect to this forum and yourself.
Whoa!

There's nothing homophobic about the term "limp wristing" when applied to this situation. It means that the wrist isn't being held/locked stiffly enough or the pistol is not being gripped firmly enough to contain the recoil so that the slide may not come back as smartly, with respect to the frame, as it should to cycle properly - as DrE described. It is somewhat more common for a blow-back pistol (PPK - PPK/S) to be susceptible to the issue than a locked breech type (1911). Has nothing to do with someone's lifestyle preference.

There was no disrespect meant by michael t's statement (other than possibly saying that his daughter's boyfriend couldn't shoot semi-autos worth a rat's butt... :p )

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
Limp wristing = Not holding a blow-back pistol firmly enough to control the recoil so that the slide can properly cycle. A common problem with PP-series pistols that has absolutely nothing to do with either sexual orientation or who is dating whom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you gentlemen for the input. DrE framed the same issue with composure. I didn't appreciate being compared to a daughter's boyfriend, regardless. Not being a sidearms expert, limp-wristing is new to me - thanks again for the feedback. I've got 100 rounds of a variety of new .380 ammo on the way and have once again cleaned the gun and oiled the slide. I'll keep a eye on the limp wrist :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
okstuld, I thank you for your father's service. If you believe the pistol is in good condition and you've eliminated the mag question, then limp wristing is a common cause. If you can't get it working properly then of course the gunsmith route is the way to go. Again don't be offended by the term limp wrist. It's a 380 and it's a more common problem than with a 32. 380's in general are more problematic as the forum can atest. Once you put a few hundred rounds thru the PPK you'll be able to re-create the problem you describe just by your grip. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
My wife of 36 years has until recently had NO interest in learning anything about shooting a handgun. I grew up with Walthers, have owned a PPK.S .380 longer than I've known Herself. A couple years ago the light went on and she went through the NRA "Women on Target" course and got her CWL. She found she enjoyed shooting and became a range rat nearly overnight. I found her an Interarms stainless .380 PPK/S for her "Big Girl Gun." resulting in much frustration over FtF issues. Once she was aware of the nature of the blow-back and the need to control muzzle rise the problem went away. We got her a set of coco bolo grips as a means to give a more "beefy" hold on the weapon and she is now more accurate than I am.

Reactions: UniversalExports
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.