Walther Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is embarrassing, but here it goes; like a dummy I tried using 9mm Makarov in my PPX, (which fires 9mm Luger) and as a result jammed the weapon. The slide won't budge and I'm at a loss as to how to fix it. Please advise!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Did the round fire, or is it a live round jammed in the chamber? If it's a live round, it goes to a 'smith. If it's a shell jammed in the chamber, you "may" be able to tap it out with a small diameter hardwood dowell. Best bet, take it to the gunsmith.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If the round fired, you may have a bulged barrel, as Mak ammo uses a .366" diameter bullet and the 9mm luger has a bullet diameter of .355" The bulge would jam the slide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah. The round wouldn't feed into the chamber after I slammed the slide back. She's stuck and hasn't been discharged lol.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
If it's a shell jammed in the chamber, you "may" be able to tap it out with a small diameter hardwood dowell. Best bet, take it to the gunsmith.
You "may" compress the powder into the primer...sending the dowel into outer space as the gun explodes... :eek:
OK...it's a small chance but better to let the gunsmith figure it out... :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
You "may" compress the powder into the primer...sending the dowel into outer space as the gun explodes... :eek:
OK...it's a small chance but better to let the gunsmith figure it out... :)
If it's a shell, i.e., expended cartridge (no bullet, powder, or live primer), you may be able... I've done this numerous times without injury to myself or damage to the firearm.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
If it's a shell, i.e., expended cartridge (no bullet, powder, or live primer), you may be able... I've done this numerous times without injury to myself or damage to the firearm.
No...he doesn't have a stuck fired casing. He has an unexpended oversized live 9X18mm Makarov round jammed in a 9mm Para chamber. A "shell" by the way isn't something to hammer on either... ;)

·
Registered
571 Posts
This is a job for a professional. Consider this a learning experience, and an inexpensive one.

Your smith will probably soak the pistol in warm penetrating oil to try to deactivate the primer.

He will put the slide in a padded vise.

Then he will gear up with heavy gloves, leather apron and safety glasses plus a face shield and tap the round out. He will make a point of staying well clear of the muzzle and ejection port as he works.

Let us know how it comes out.

·
Registered
637 Posts
smashtalk,

I greatly appreciate you posting this. There may be plently of people who could accidently do this and then try to fix it for themselves and get hurt. Truly appreciate your letting us learn from your mistake.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts