Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my new P22 (3.42" barrel, CA compliant, production date circa 2018) back in May... when I first went to clean it, I noticed that the breech lock looks fairly damaged:

Note: have been good about sticking to Mini-Mags & the recommended ammo in the high (not hyper) velocity range. Hopefully Walther will be good about replying, but in case they're backlogged and inundated with work, does anyone know of where I could source a spare breech lock or two (manufacturer or third party)? I installed the Volquartsen extractor mentioned in other posts, which greatly minimized where the slide flung the ammo, so I'm wondering if someone improved upon the breech lock as well.

Thanks,

TJ

·
Registered
9,833 Posts

They thin down at the very rear. QD breech block on the left with decocking lever.

Yours has cracked off at the rear. Should look like above. (note, pictured is a QD model with the decocking lever and slot in the safety drum...which has been dropped) The very rear of the breech block thins down where it meets the safety drum. The pistol might function fine but you need a new breech block installed. It is held in place by the small roll pin in the side of the slide. It is a bit tricky to remove and reinstall as the tiny firing pin block spring sits on top of the block and fits between the slide upon reinstallation. Walther might want the side rather than just send you the part. Call them, don't e-mail. The virus has put a damper on a lot of stuff. 1917

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Oh yeah, there are no aftermarket breech blocks. Ft Smith is your only option. It won't hurt to keep firing the pistol until you get in touch with them. The hammer might hang up a bit or it might not when it tries to jump the gap. I've never seen one with the damage your's has. Good luck. 1917

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pistol might function fine but you need a new breech block installed. It is held in place by the small roll pin in the side of the slide. It is a bit tricky to remove and reinstall as the tiny firing pin block spring sits on top of the block and fits between the slide upon reinstallation. Walther might want the side rather than just send you the part. Call them, don't e-mail. The virus has put a damper on a lot of stuff. 1917
Thanks for the photos, 1917! Good to compare. I was actually able to use it for competition/steel shoot (and only had one jam, thanks to your compiled guide... the last competition I had FTE/FTL every other string)!

I didn't see the "call them" until tonight... I'd feel comfortable replacing the part, but it looks like Walther Arms Service Department made the decision for me. Customer Service replied about two days ago with a return form and a FedEx label. I need to check the laws in CA regarding sending/receiving a firearm via USPS/FedEx/UPS/DHL/etc... I'll reply back to them in the next 24-48 and let them know I'll send it out when I'm back in town. I'm also hoping to pick up my Ruger III some 300+ miles away in Bakersfield before I send it out - the P22 is my current competition gun, haha.

This might be a separate thread or already answered, but any advice on getting the grouping tighter? I can group beautifully with full magazines using a 9MM CZ 75 and a XD-40, but have had zero luck with the P22 despite the best attempt at focusing on grip/technique.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Light weight pistols can be a bit tricky. Short barrel and easy to move off target. I put a P22 in a Ransom type rest a few years ago. At 25 Meters the short barrel was good for 3" to 4" groups while the 5" barrel version was good for 5/8" groups of five. I recently put a really lightweight red dot on the slide of my two current P22s and that helps my old eyes a lot. Better groups....just gonna have to practice. I lowered my SA trigger pull also and removed the hammer strut in one pistol....that one resets in about 3/16" with overtravel and pre-travel stops. If you have to shoot DA on the first shot in your matches...that won't work. 1917

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Ruger MK II, III, IV are all great pistols. Accurate, durable for several lifetimes but heavy. Plenty of aftermarket parts and easy to mount sight options due to the internal bolt design. Did I mention heavy. Too heavy for me at extended off hand target shoots. I do better with a P22. But I'm old and have wimpy hands and arms, am crosseyed with two left feet. Do I have Ruger stuff....uh, yepper. From a bench you won't compete, P22 against a MK series pistol. You will need either another Ruger or a Browning or some high end target pistol...which Walther and others make also.....expensive and can be pretty finicky regarding ammo and cleaning. For most of us....Ruger or Browning will get the job done and they go bang....round after round. A Ruger MK III put five rounds in a 3/8" group at 25 meters from my Ransom type rest. My old 5" P22 was dragging way behind at five rounds in a 5/8" group. No contest off a bench...... but off hand, not many of us can compete with a Ransom Rest. 3/8" vs 5/8" group...at that point it is all up to the shooter. 1917

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
I need to check the laws in CA regarding sending/receiving a firearm via USPS/FedEx/UPS/DHL/etc... I'll reply back to them in the next 24-48 and let them know I'll send it out when I'm back in town.
Walther should be 100% up to speed on CA laws. I'd just unload, box it up and apply the shipping label they sent you. The shipping label is specific to a certain carrier isn't it? 1917

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Walther should be 100% up to speed on CA laws. I'd just unload, box it up and apply the shipping label they sent you. The shipping label is specific to a certain carrier isn't it? 1917
Correct, the assigned carrier is FedEx. I was all ready to send it out, until I read the small print/disclaimer stating you need to have three casings that were shot from the pistol sent back using their "Walther approved ammo" list (which at this point is currently non-existent on their website). Although I know I used mini-mags and CCI velocitor rounds, I don't usually keep .22 brass, so I'll need to get to the range specifically for the P22. I had some shooting clinics/classes this week, so the soonest I'll be able to send it out (if work doesn't pop up) is Thursday if I can get to the range on Wednesday afternoon. I'll keep updating this thread with new developments. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Spent cases have nothing to do with your issue. You have a damaged part, not a function issue. Just sent it in. They can produce their own spent cases. They need to inspect the hammer and replace your breech block. You can fire the P22 into the ground to reduce noise. Hold the pistol two inches above the soil. You can also shoot through something like folded rags, muzzle against them and collect the cases. That keeps the noise down as well. Not sure what that would tell anyone though unless you have chamber issues or light strikes. Don't ship live ammo with light strikes though. I've even held my thumb over the rear of the slide to keep it from opening when firing. 1917

1 - 11 of 11 Posts