Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sat.May 29th I went to the range with my new P99 .40 I brought 50 rounds of Wincheaster FMJ 180grain and 165 FMJ.This is my first gun and I want it to last a long time....so any pointers on break-in or ammunition info or pistol cleaning would be welcomed.So far the gun has been flawless.Do you change the recoil spring after shooting 3M rounds?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Twang

First of all wellcome
Sorry for not being very responsive to your inquires, I havent even broken in mine. But, i can suggest you to look for a thread by Gato. He making his P99 undergo a torture test. I think he hasnt changed anything to it, not even cleaned it. hehe, not that i dont want you to clean your gun

http://www.gothammarketing.com/bb....1;t=859

From what i have read here and in other forums and online articles, i understand that the FMJ ammo you using is fine for that purpose, specially the lighter one of 165 grains. As for cleaning, I heard of people using that special purpose gun scrub even for the receiver. I only use rem oil, but mine only suffers from excesive dust in my town. I never quite shoot it. I read here too that seldom, some users have to change some springs on their P99s. It depends much on year of manufacture. P99s marked AB, i think, are some of the best manufactured.

This thread might interest you as well

http://www.gothammarketing.com/bb....;t=1516

Please also visit the P99 FAQ,

http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/

a must for us P99ers. It is a site made by Mr Lenaburg and Lunde.

You will get better help from other users, I just wanted to give some basic pointers while the other guys show up. Congratulations on you P99

saludos

Hector

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the info P99 freak !!! I guess if it really mattered what grain ammunition needed to be used for break-in Walther would of put it in the owners manual right? I was looking at getting a 5" Springfield XD .40 but once I got my F.O.I.D card in the mail and was able to hold the guns in the shops, I changed my mind right away when I held the P99, it fit my hand so nice I did'nt even try holding anything else...just said I'll take it!! My gun is 100% German made and was maufactured Sept.2003 I guess you could say I'm a P99 freak also, my wife at a point now that if keep talking about my new pistol she's going to put both of us out on the couch!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Proper P99 breakin requires one very important step............ shoot the crap out of it and repeat as necessary.
I'm still breaking mine in, I only have 20k+ rounds thru mine, it's still got that "new car smell".

·
Registered
69 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Twang @ May 31 2004,8:41)]Hey thanks for the info P99 freak !!! I guess if it really mattered what grain ammunition needed to be used for break-in Walther would of put it in the owners manual right? I was looking at getting a 5" Springfield XD .40 but once I got my F.O.I.D card in the mail and was able to hold the guns in the shops, I changed my mind right away when I held the P99, it fit my hand so nice I did'nt even try holding anything else...just said I'll take it!! My gun is 100% German made and was maufactured Sept.2003 I guess you could say I'm a P99 freak also, my wife at a point now that if keep talking about my new pistol she's going to put both of us out on the couch!!
Good choice Twang !!! Those XD's are tempting with the low price and all the fans out on the forums, but the P99 is just better all around (looks, ergonomics, yadda yadda, IMHO)... of course you know this and chose wisely.

Welcome to the club, I just got mine about a month ago after many months of research & pondering (AKA analysis paralysis).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks P99 Freak and Darth Skeeter for welcoming me to the club. I've never gotten in on a forum before this is cool sharing a common interest with you guys.Thanks for pointing out those sites to me P99 Freak.

·
Registered
146 Posts
No problem at all fellow P99er. I am just as fortunate as you to have found this community of expert guys on the P99.

saludos

Hector

·
Registered
18 Posts
Like NM_P99 said... Shoot it. It only gets better. And after you finish, shoot it some more!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think one think all have failed to type is proper cleaning and lubrication. I am not one to torture test or abuse anything I own. Make sure you clean it after you shoot it. Make sure that all the internals are properly lubricated (friction points). Also make sure you wipe it down with a sheepskin rag.

enjoy your new p99

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The FAQ site on Walther Pistols... it states that its ok to use gun scrub on the receiver....just spray all over it and let it dry ?Spray oil down around trigger points and back around striker area or what?In the owners manual it reads out like you really don't have to do anything with the receiver...but take out out the striker assembly once in a great while when your "detailing" the P99.What do you guys do?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts