Walther Forums banner

Is there a cross ref. SN # to date of Manufacture

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Scrogman 
#1 ·
Has anyone checked out how to get manufacture date from the SN # ?

Tnx Ron

#8 ·
Mine really doesn't have a date code. I have looked everywhere. I know it is an older frame because of the hump in the triggerguard and that stupid old walther accessory rail. There isn't any wear on the sides or the bottom of the frame around where the stamp should be. Where is my date code?

#9 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Scrogman @ May 19 2005,5:44)]Mine really doesn't have a date code. I have looked everywhere. I know it is an older frame because of the hump in the triggerguard and that stupid old walther accessory rail. There isn't any wear on the sides or the bottom of the frame around where the stamp should be. Where is my date code?
Did you check that link I posted to make sure you're looking in the correct place? What caliber is your P99? What importer marking is listed on the front right of the slide--such as Interarms, Carl Walther USA LLC, Walther USA LLC, or Smith & Wesson?

#10 ·
Yeah I checked the link and scoured my .40 S&W imported by Walther USA LLC, and still no date code. It was a gift from my brother who served in the Marine Corps. He acquired it after he returned from Iraq and supposedly never fired it or wore it during any maneuvers or anything like that. It never looked worn on the part of the frame where the code should appear, but maybe that is what happened. Are these "stamps" easy to wear off?

#11 ·
I've never heard of the date code and proof marks rubbing off of the frame, but I suppose that it's possible. However, after examining a few of my P99's it seems to me that if the marks were rubbed off that it would leave some evidence. Maybe your markings are struck really shallow in the plastic. Try using oblique lighting, where you shine a flashlight on the area at a low angle. Try viewing from different angles. If that doesn't work, try bright sunlight. If still no luck, then hell I don't know. Must be a mystery!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.