Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Well, if the slide comes on and off the gun and doesn't lock up, then dry firing with a snap cap, and testing out the DA and SA triggers that way would be the next step...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have done some of these things awhile back. I put the P99 Slide on the PPQ frame no problem. I racked the slide, cocking the striker, no problem. There was one kinda obvious problem though, the decocker doesn't work, But pulling the trigger did release the striker, allowing me to disassemble the gun and wipe the sweat from my forehead.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I have done some of these things awhile back. I put the P99 Slide on the PPQ frame no problem. I racked the slide, cocking the striker, no problem. There was one kinda obvious problem though, the decocker doesn't work, But pulling the trigger did release the striker, allowing me to disassemble the gun and wipe the sweat from my forehead.
The decocker worked on mine when I had the P99 AS slide on the PPQ frame. I also tried the pencil test and it shot it across the room, so I'd imagine that it would function this way.

There is a slight difference in the frames of the P99 and PPQ because of the different trigger safeties that are used in the two pistols. The P99 AS has a little more polymer cut out from where the trigger protrudes from the frame because that is the area that the trigger safety hits if the trigger bar is pulled back without pulling the trigger. It wouldn't be too hard to cut this area of the PPQ frame to match the P99 AS frame, but I'd imagine that just swapping parts would cause the trigger safety (or really the drop safety) to become useless, as the trigger wouldn't pivot down to block movement.

Other than that, just looking at the frames and internals, I think it is possible to do it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Balance, I'll take your word for it that the decocker works, I do remember you saying this in a previous thread. In my nervousness I must not have pushed the decocker enough to activate it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Tanfoglio, I see I've been calling this gun by the wrong name.
Would you happen to know if the P99 AS parts ( AS trigger system and Trigger control) are interchangable with the PPQ frame?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Tan, I believe, has assembled those weapons to that configuration before but did not fire it, being a collector.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
As long as the pins for the PPQ & the P99AS are in the same location on the frame, the internals can be swapped. The trigger clearance issue that Balance mentioned would need to be addressed. The top end of the P99AS has already been tested to fit the PPQ frame, so that's not an issue.

If you want a P99AS with a PPQ frame, you'd need to buy both guns, make the modifications and then you could attempt to sell off the remaining parts. You could also buy the PPQ and try to buy the AS upper and internals, but I think it would be cheaper to buy a used P99AS than to try to buy new parts.

The other option, of course, is to bombard Walther, Germany, not S&W, with requests for them to either update the AS. As the updates are cosmetic, I don't think they'd have any issues with ATF approval, where trying to get the P99Q approved, for instance, would be a cost that they are probably not willing to take on, because they consider the market to be satisfied with the AS.

If they would update the AS, I would buy a new one. I'd want them to update the C as well. If they did that, then the possibility of a PPQc would increase.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
As long as the pins for the PPQ & the P99AS are in the same location on the frame, the internals can be swapped. The trigger clearance issue that Balance mentioned would need to be addressed. The top end of the P99AS has already been tested to fit the PPQ frame, so that's not an issue.

If you want a P99AS with a PPQ frame, you'd need to buy both guns, make the modifications and then you could attempt to sell off the remaining parts. You could also buy the PPQ and try to buy the AS upper and internals, but I think it would be cheaper to buy a used P99AS than to try to buy new parts.
Thanks for the info, Your probably right about the pins. I wouldn't move forward with this experiment unless all parts fit in perfectly. I guess I could work with the trigger fit, doesn't seem like too much of a problem. I'm 50/50 whether I will ever do this, but if I do, I will share my progress with you guys. I will be very careful in testing this idea. Like I said, I will use twine to pull the trigger from a safe distance, probably behind a tree or something. We'll See. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I posted this in the "Future of the P99" sticky, however I find it pertinent to our discussion. My complete inquiry to Walther Germany, noting the similar mechanics of the two frames and other updates to their product line, can be found there.

No it's not scheduled to produce the P99AS in the PPQ design. Yes it's right that the complete P22 line was redesigned but not the civil P99AS. Sorry
Best regards
Carl Walther GmbH
Germany

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I said there, but I'll say it here in case others don't read that thread, that the only way to make something they don't plan on doing into a possibility is to flood their inbox with requests. If they see an interest in it, then maybe they'll reevaluate their position.

I can tell you that we cannot expect either Walther Germany or S&W to be monitoring the forum. I asked on S&W's Facebook page why they hadn't created one for Walther USA and the reply was simple: lack of manpower. If they don't have the manpower to do something as simple as maintain a FB page, they don't have the manpower to monitor forums.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Several people have done this. There's a few threads about it.

You'll lose the decocking ability, however.

IMO, if you want a P99, buy a P99.

Or, mix'n'match. Your money and time ;)

(post pics and build thread, though) :):):):)

Reactions: fonzman357

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tangfolio, someone said you’d installed a P99AS trigger system in a PPQ frame. That is exactly what I would like to do once I get another PPQ. Can you describe what you had to do? Just dropping in the parts or did you have to modify the frame and how?
Fonzman, yes, its a 'drop in' and your good to go. Find/buy a PPQ frame, remove the PPQ sear module and trigger. Insert your P99 sear module and trigger and thats it. You may have to adjust the small set screw that adjusts the height of the trigger bar as it connects to the sear module. I had to do some very slight 'trimming' in the trigger area of the PPQ frame to allow the P99 trigger to move smoothly. (Excuse me if my nomenclature is off.).

It works great, decocker button and all. A 'P99AS-M2'

Take care,
-P

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fonzman, yes, its a 'drop in' and your good to go. Find/buy a PPQ frame, remove the PPQ sear module and trigger. Insert your P99 sear module and trigger and thats it. You may have to adjust the small set screw that adjusts the height of the trigger bar as it connects to the sear module. I had to do some very slight 'trimming' in the trigger area of the PPQ frame to allow the P99 trigger to move smoothly. (Excuse me if my nomenclature is off.).

It works great, decocker button and all. A 'P99AS-M2'

Take care,
-P
Awesome, thank you. If you get a change, would you mind showing where you trimmed the trigger area on the PPQ frame?

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
May I ask, is the grip feel of the P99 so bad that you simply can't live with it unless it felt like a PPQ frame?

According to a discussion I had with a local instructor who has won an Emmy for his segments on the nightly news here, modifying defensive pistols is a bad idea. I was told, by him, that after a defensive shooting, it is not unheard of for the pistol used to be sent back to the manufacturer for inspection, to see if any alterations were done to the pistol. Do you really want this as a possibility if you ever have to use this hybrid pistol defensively, and all so that your grip can feel just a little different than a P99?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Saw that title, P99 AS RAD, and thought of this.....

Attachments

21 - 40 of 61 Posts