Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I appreciate your comments on this question.

Thank you.
The P22 also has a spotty record of reliability. Some folks love it and swear by it; others curse its very existence and call it a POS22. Various threads here and on other forums detail the list of problems with the gun. But Ship is correct: carrying a .22 for self-defense should be a last-resort decision that you'd be forced into, not one that you would make with so many other options available.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you want to mention what it is about the P22 that attracts you, we might be able to offer some alternatives that will make a better choice.

The average price for a P22 is $300. For that amount you can get a new S&W 9mm automatic, and there is also a $50 rebate w/two extra magazines promotion that makes it even cheaper than a P22. This particular 9mm isn't the best one out there, but it is sturdy and reliable, and of a good self-defense caliber.

We have a P22 and like it, but there's no way we would consider carrying it for CC.

PhilR.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. A .22 cal. is pretty small and does not have the stopping power of larger calibers. I just like the size, weight and feel of the P22. If it were a larger caliber I would be carrying it. I currently carry a Glock 26 (9mm). Though the G26 is small it is still heavy and big enough to be uncomfortable to carry. Maybe a lightweight J frame?

Thank you.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree. A .22 cal. is pretty small and does not have the stopping power of larger calibers. I just like the size, weight and feel of the P22. If it were a larger caliber I would be carrying it. I currently carry a Glock 26 (9mm). Though the G26 is small it is still heavy and big enough to be uncomfortable to carry. Maybe a lightweight J frame?

Thank you.
Get a PPS instead. I consider the P22 more for plinking and practice.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Definitely not.
Not enough power to penetrate about 12" of flesh to vital areas, and the rimfire ignition is less reliable than centerfire.
A rule of thumb that is useful is that a 9mm Luger/Parabellum is the lowest you want to go for your primary self defense caliber (and .38 Special in revolvers).

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can second a PPS. I just had a PPS first edition in 9mm put on layaway (will pick it up after Xmas) and after handling it, I can think of no better carry gun for day to day uses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you're only interested in wounding someone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I currently carry a Glock 26 (9mm). Though the G26 is small it is still heavy and big enough to be uncomfortable to carry. Maybe a lightweight J frame?
A J-frame will be lighter, but won't be any smaller. Just a different shape, and about half the capacity. What you do gain is less weight, possibly better reliability, and perhaps more power per shot if you get a .357 version (which costs some bucks).

A PPS will save a bit of weight and be slightly thinner, but still takes up close to the same length/height of your G26. I like Walthers and would like to have a PPS, but I already own a G26, and I can't see spending the extra cost of switching just to shave a 1/4" off the thickness.

To go noticeably lighter or smaller, take a look at the Kahr PM9 in 9mm, or a Kel-Tec P3AT if you don't mind a .380. Keep in mind that these brands aren't as reliable overall as the Glock you already have. However, if you get a good one (I suspect that most of them are), you will I'm sure be very happy with their level of convenience.

PhilR.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have both the P22 and P99c AS, I would never use the P22 in a CCW defensive role, there just is not enough stopping power in the rounds. Should you ever be in a position to use your weapon in a defensive role its hard enough to put someone down with a 9mm when they are adrenalized on a drug of some sort, a 22lr is just going to be a bee sting to them at that point. So unless you are defending against rabbits the P22 is for the most part a target weapon. I have both and like both, my P99c fits in the hand very nicely and is the big brother to the P22.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you own a P22 use it for your shooting test for your concealed carry, you'd have to be the worst shot in the world to fail using a .22 semi-auto...

=)

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you own a P22 use it for your shooting test for your concealed carry, you'd have to be the worst shot in the world to fail using a .22 semi-auto...

=)
My instructor told us from the beginning, if we brought a .22 for the shooting test, he would fail us. He said it was not practical and if don't like it, you could find another instructor. I can sort of see his point, but dire situation, nothing else to protect yourself, a .22 is better than nothing. There is the story of a preacher defending his home and killing a burglar with a P22, but that may have been more luck than anything.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My instructor told us from the beginning, if we brought a .22 for the shooting test, he would fail us. He said it was not practical and if don't like it, you could find another instructor. I can sort of see his point, but dire situation, nothing else to protect yourself, a .22 is better than nothing. There is the story of a preacher defending his home and killing a burglar with a P22, but that may have been more luck than anything.
I can see why the instructor would say that because of the obvious practical reasons but I don't think he has any right to do so... at least in Texas. The tests are based on either a revolver or semi-automatic firearm, and makes no mention of caliber at all... and I imagine you could legally report an instructor who threatened to fail you when he has no right to do so. Lawfully you could take your test with a .22 LR semi-automatic like the P22 and carry a .45 if you wanted... caliber plays no role in the test taking, only weapon type (revolver or semi-auto). With that said, if I went to take my CHL course and the instructor said he wouldn't pass with just a .22 I'd just use my .40 and then submit a complaint on him later. Like it or not but I have a right to carry any caliber hand gun I like, that's my right and I'll be damned if I'll let anyone (even an instructor) decide which weapon I can carry..

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
... a .22 is better than nothing. There is the story of a preacher defending his home and killing a burglar with a P22, but that may have been more luck than anything.
Hate to bring this up, but the nutjob who shot up Virginia Tech last year, killing more than 30 people, had two handguns with him; one of them was a Walther P22. It's also worth mentioning that the .22 has been the choice of the mob for years and years. (Please note that this is not a defense of the .22, nor is it a recommendation for its use -- just an observation.)

For what it's worth, the firearms instructor I dealt with in Oregon offers a variety of self-defense classes. The minimum caliber that he will accept for those classes is the .380 (9mmk). His logic is that by taking his classes, you should get the training you will need to defend yourself; it is his belief that the use of a lesser caliber will not provide you with the firearms expertise you would need in a life/death situation. To him, it's a matter of common sense and not a matter for lawyers.

·
Registered
361 Posts
... I don't think he has any right to do so... I imagine you could legally report an instructor who threatened to fail you when he has no right to do so. Lawfully you could take your test with a .22 LR semi-automatic like the P22 and carry a .45 if you wanted ... submit a complaint on him later. Like it or not but I have a right to carry any caliber hand gun I like, that's my right and I'll be damned if I'll let anyone (even an instructor) decide which weapon I can carry..

True it is your right to carry any gun you want with the permit, but I believe it the instructors right to deny any applicant he sees fit. He is not an employee of the state. He is a private citizen (at least in KY ... I don't know about Texas), and I have no problem with him saying this. There are plenty of other instructors out there. It is not a monopoly. I live in a small town (approx 15,000) and I can think of at least 5 instructors locally. Choose one of them. If this guy was the only instructor around, or if he was a state employee, I would have a problem with his position.

I equate this to a cable company telling you can't get a channel you want without going with a different package. You don't like it, you get mad ... you decide to get DishNetwork. You may see it different, but I think it is perfectly fine for him to make this stipulation since he is telling you upfront before you take the class and before you pay him. It might be different if he never tells you and just fails you out of the blue, but as it stands now, I think he is within his/your rights.

·
Registered
49 Posts
True it is your right to carry any gun you want with the permit, but I believe it the instructors right to deny any applicant he sees fit. He is not an employee of the state. He is a private citizen (at least in KY ... I don't know about Texas), and I have no problem with him saying this. There are plenty of other instructors out there. It is not a monopoly. I live in a small town (approx 15,000) and I can think of at least 5 instructors locally. Choose one of them. If this guy was the only instructor around, or if he was a state employee, I would have a problem with his position.

I equate this to a cable company telling you can't get a channel you want without going with a different package. You don't like it, you get mad ... you decide to get DishNetwork. You may see it different, but I think it is perfectly fine for him to make this stipulation since he is telling you upfront before you take the class and before you pay him. It might be different if he never tells you and just fails you out of the blue, but as it stands now, I think he is within his/your rights.
Good points. As you mention the instructors do work for themselves but at some point I think they have to work within compliance of the law which states semi-automatic handgun... but it is really making a mountain out of a mole hill. Simply ask before hand and the issue is moot. If I went to take the test and tried my P22 and was told that I needed a larger caliber I'd simply move up to the .40 P99. However I would strongly disagree with the instructor claiming a .22 LR weapon isn't "deadly enough."

As Searcher stated the .22 LR round has been a weapon of choice for assassins for decades now. They are cheap, extremely accurate, quiet and easy to find suppressors for... a .22 LR pistol with a suppressor and sub-sonic self defense rounds is extremely deadly. I'd say more deadly then any other hand gun just because you can shoot without being noticed and with the sub-sonic rounds they stay in the body causing even more damage... not to mention the ease of use and accuracy.

I'm not saying I'd carry a .22 LR weapon as my concealed carry but the argument that they aren't deadly enough is completely ludicrous.

·
Registered
2 Posts
According to the Texas DPS website "You must demonstrate proficiency with a handgun of .32 caliber or above to qualify for a concealed handgun license." This isn't to say that after obtaining your CHL you couldn't carry whatever you wanted, but a .22 as a primary is not something I would feel confident with.

Here is the link to the Texas CHL FAQ page: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/faq.htm

·
Registered
49 Posts
According to the Texas DPS website "You must demonstrate proficiency with a handgun of .32 caliber or above to qualify for a concealed handgun license." This isn't to say that after obtaining your CHL you couldn't carry whatever you wanted, but a .22 as a primary is not something I would feel confident with.

Here is the link to the Texas CHL FAQ page: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/faq.htm
Yeah, good find. I actually asked this question on a Texas CHL forum and they pointed me to that FAQ, forgot to update back here. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts