Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just purchased my first Walther firearm after hearing great things (i got the PPS in FDE). My only issue was the small capacity, considering the world seems to love the P365 holding 10+1 i think. Has anyone made any mods with the magazine or just rock with the standard 6 rd mag?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've had the PPS M2 for a few years now. I compared it to other single stacks at the time and it won out. I've looked at and shot the newer higher capacity pistols and the only one that I'm considering is Glock 43x. The dimensions are so close to PPS with 7 round mag it makes near no difference. The grip size and ergonomics of the Walther with 7 round are perfect. The pinky grip on the mag are less than ideal for mag changes. I don't feel under gunned with 8 rounds. Self defense = get me the hell out of here. It's not a fire fight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had the PPS M2 for a few years now. I compared it to other single stacks at the time and it won out. I've looked at and shot the newer higher capacity pistols and the only one that I'm considering is Glock 43x. The dimensions are so close to PPS with 7 round mag it makes near no difference. The grip size and ergonomics of the Walther with 7 round are perfect. The pinky grip on the mag are less than ideal for mag changes. I don't feel under gunned with 8 rounds. Self defense = get me the hell out of here. It's not a fire fight.
I totally agree. I figure i would just carry the 7 rd mag for backup if needed.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
So i just purchased my first Walther firearm after hearing great things (i got the PPS in FDE). My only issue was the small capacity, considering the world seems to love the P365 holding 10+1 i think. Has anyone made any mods with the magazine or just rock with the standard 6 rd mag?
Self defense situations are highly unlikely if one is exercising good situational awareness and not putting oneself in scenarios that might require the use of a firearm to deal with a lethal threat. Statistically speaking (based on the FBI database of shots required to stop a threat), an average of 3 rounds is required to stop a lethal threat. Thus, 6+1 is plenty of ammunition for the exceptionally rare situation where you need to draw and fire to defend your life or that of another, and added capacity is really only for misses and/or dealing with multiple lethal threats simultaneously.

MagGuts makes replacement spring+follower kits for various size PPS M2 magazines. A few on these forums have tried them with limited success. Personally, I wouldn't risk problems with the feeding of all of my rounds in a given magazine just to add one round to a magazine's capacity. Key to this thinking is that I may need to stake my life on the functions of my firearm and magazine, and I can always carry a spare magazine.

I carry 6+1 in a PPS Classic at 3:30 position … with a spare 6-rounder at 8:30 position. I prefer this to a single 10+1 P365 (which I also own). Here's why:
  1. If my magazine has a malfunction, I can drop it, clear the malfunction, and load a fresh magazine - which is impossible if I'm only carrying a single magazine within the firearm.
  2. The spare magazine on my left side helps balance out the firearm+magazine weight on my right side, making for more comfortable all-day carry than if I were simply carrying firearm+magazine on my right size.
I've been toying with the idea of carrying a 10+1 P365 and a spare 10 round magazine, but I need to prove out my P365 trigger improvements before I'm willing to stake my life on my P365. After that, it becomes a question of whether I'm willing to carry the added weight 12+ hours a day...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well said!!!! I was looking at the P365 but i wasnt willing to shell out an additional $100+ bucks for the few extra rounds of capacity. I was satisfied before even making the purchase honestly. The only argument i see is people complaining about the capacity, as if that would make the Sig more worthy. I told myself i would like the extra rounds but i can also carry the additional mag...problem solved. And i agree, i dont like toying with my guns too much especially my carry guns; i try to keep them as stock as possible.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
The one time I had to draw down on somebody, capacity was not an issue. And if the 7+1 rounds of 9mm wouldn't have resolved the situation, I don't see how another ten would have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im fully comfortable with the mag capacity. Its just amazing how a lot of people will try and say they must have those few extra rounds.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
It keeps the gun business moving.

The odds of me having to fire my gun are low. The odds of me having to fire more than seven or eight rounds is lower. The odds of me needing more than seven or eight but not being able to reload in time are even lower.

I'm comfortable with the capacity of the PPS as an CC weapon.

Carry an extra mag, practice your reloads and try to avoid trouble.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Well said!!!! I was looking at the P365 but i wasnt willing to shell out an additional $100+ bucks for the few extra rounds of capacity. I was satisfied before even making the purchase honestly. The only argument i see is people complaining about the capacity, as if that would make the Sig more worthy.
I had no interest in the P365 until the P365 SAS came out ... and when it did, I fully expected to hate its sights due to pointing problems associated with searching for the proper sight picture. However, the SAS's were new and the ability to pocket carry the gun held interest for me, as I sometimes like to pocket carry -- so when a P365 SAS came into my LGS I went and finger-fondled it a bit.

To my surprise, I point the P365 SAS's FT Bullseye sights quite instinctively/naturally … and that sold me on the pistol. The tigger is lackluster -- I hate its mushy break … but I'm working on that problem and once I've got it resolved and the pistol proven out, I think it'll become my EDC.

Capacity had nothing to do with my desire; it was all about form factor. Frankly, I feel like the P365 would be perfect for me if it had a paddle mag release. That, sir, is the only thing that I'll actually miss about my PPS Classic, I suspect...

·
Registered
179 Posts
We all want so much capacity, but we will never need it statically speaking. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I’m comfortable with my PPS M1 holding 8 rounds of 40sw.
The capacity war will continue though it’s just how the market is. The P365 was revolutionary no doubt about it. Still can’t get past the sponge feel on the trigger break, everyone I have dry fired has that same feel, even the XL model which sparked my interest somewhat. My P320 had the same feel, sold it.

Difficult to jump ship when Walthers are that good.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
It's more important how good a person is with a firearm than what firearm they are using. Within reason of course.

A person with a reliable PPS that is really good with it is certainly not underarmed for almost any civilian defensive encounter.

Others may feel differently, but I think skill with a gun is way more important than the gun itself.

I will add within reason because someone is going to jump in here with a "what about muzzle loaders" comment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Capacity is a big deal when the slide locks to the rear and the fight isn't over. On the other hand, you have to weigh all the factors and be realistic. For me off duty, the chances of me getting into a gun fight are very low, I don't drink, don't do drugs, don't gamble and don't mess around with other peoples' wives. Now the chances of me getting into a gun fight that I can't finish in 8 rounds is astronomically low. Now I have good friend/co worker that is extremely tactical and he has real life experience that caused him to retire a snub nose revolver after being in a gun fight with two people and losing sight of one of them. He carries a CCP off duty now and loves it. Long story short, training is very important but as someone else said good situational awareness will keep you out of most deadly encounters (not 100%) that a person would find themselves in. If God forbid you find yourself in a situation, then hopefully your training will kick in and you will neutralize the threat quickly or get yourself out of dodge.

Good luck and hopefully the capacity question will always be a theoretical one.

Dennis P.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The Walther PPS was developed for police plainclothes, off-duty carry, and as a BUG. Not five years ago you would often read "run, hide, then fight" on gun forums. Now with the herd moving toward higher capacity handguns, you are considered almost defenseless with under 10 rounds in your pistol and no one is moving out of harm's way.

My old Rangemaster often stated, "If you can't get the job done in 4 or 5 rounds.....RUN!" There was a lot of wisdom in that simple declaration.

Your PPS will work for you if you don't step into something you can't handle with your personal skills set and 4 or 5 rounds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts