Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this question is for you all out there who own P99's with the QA trigger and other pistols with more traditional systems . . . .

do you have a problem switching back and forth between QA's and the SA pull of a traditional DA/SA auto (or SA auto)?

i want to know mostly about how easy it is to short-stroke a QA on a follow-up shot if you're used to DA/SA single-action pulls (i.e. how quick is the reset compared to an SA pull?).  is it harder to shoot rapidly compared to DA/SA?  would you recommend it for defense or competitive use (IPSC-style shooting)?

i'm really worried i won't be able to find an AS in 9mm when i can afford one a few months out

frye

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also find that the double action pull of the 99AS to be very heavy. Perhaps the pistol is not full broken in yet, but there is a very noticeable motion when the trigger breaks.

In terms of the DA/SA sequence, i haven't tried it yet. I usually insert the mag when the slide is open, therefore putting it in SA mode. To cheat even more, i pull the trigger halfway to lock it in 'true' SA mode (without the added AS trigger length). I guess i have to work on this.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I think there is a bit of trade off.  You cannot shoot a QA as fast as a single action SA because the reset is slightly longer.  However there is no trasition from long double action to short single action.  Every shot is the same and to me that equals more accurate.  Besides, if you put the first shot where you want it, the single action may be moot.

One more observation about the QA, the trigger does not travel as far rearward as an SA, this helps me out alot with accuracy also.  It reminds me of a 1911 with a long trigger if you are familiar with those, in respect to trigger reach.

Obviously I am a QA fan, I think it is the trigger of the future. But I still like my SA guns for historical reasons.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The QA trigger pull is ridiculously short to begin with, around .31” if I remember correctly. How much quicker of a reset could you possibly want? Heck, anything shorter than the total pull for this gun would pretty much make it fully auto. It’s a great trigger, quit worrying about it. If you really don’t like it then sell it later and get an older used AS. It really isn’t anything that’s hard to adjust to. Quit thinking and just buy it. You’ll feel so much better about it once you actually own and shoot it. Don’t let your brain push you around so much, fight back.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I will add this also, originally I ordered an AS. But the QA came instead. I said "send it back, wait a munite, let me try the trigger". After trying it and taking it home and shooting it, I will use nothing else for self defense. You will hear some compare it to a GLock Trigger, this is FALSE. The Glock trigger is a two stage trigger, the QA is one even, smooth pull.

·
Registered
86 Posts
do you have a problem switching back and forth between QA's and the SA pull of a traditional DA/SA auto (or SA auto)?

Yes, I tend to shoot something different often. Hand me a P99 AS and 200 rounds and I am spot on, next range trip hand me QA and 200 rounds and the first ten or so will be off a bit as my trigger control seems to need re-trained. If I stick with one for 3 or 4 range trips everything remains good. Switch and there is a short learning curve again. I think there is allot said for picking one pistol you really like and sticking with it an totally mastering it. I could easily follow that advise if the companies stopped making cool new stuff. So companies, quit making cool new stuff (other than that really cool H&K P3000)

Rocket Out...

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Now this might be stupid of me to ask.. but I never shot a QA... but if you have a bullet not fire.... meaning the slide does not go back to recock the striker... do u have to handcycle the slide in order to get the striker recocked

All I noticed in the store was that if you decock the QA you have to pull slide back to recock the gun.

And yes Rocket.... mmmmm that P3000 looks nice,,, just not much info out there on it yet.... some on the HKpro forum said it was due out in spring of this year... and the gun does have a serial #.. making it more than just a good mock to see how people react to it.....

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Uncut, the answer is yes.  Once the striker is released, for what ever reason, the slide must come back about a quarter inch to reset it. So you would have to clear the round and start over instead of trying for a second primer stike.

But now I am curious, I had ad AS and don't remember, if you are in single action and it fails to fire, does the trigger reset back to double action mode?

And I havn't heard about this HK 3000, what is it?  I will need to check this out.

Sorry fryeg7, don't mean to hijack your thread

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[b said:
Quote[/b] (banddr2 @ Feb. 01 2006,21:53)]Sorry fryeg7, don't mean to hijack your thread
not a problem, some good info comes from hijacked threads.

to answer your question, yes, the AS trigger does reset itself for a second-strike in double-action (EMPTY your P99, cock your EMPTY pistol and pull the trigger.  then pull it again  
)

the AS trigger behaves just like a DA/SA except it has a striker, not a hammer, and can be fully cocked by slightly manipulating the slide (although the trigger doesn't take up).

i did some browsing on some gun auction sites and other places today and AS 9mm's are out there at relatively reasonable prices, some still NIB, which i prefer.  i'm just going to find an AS when the time comes.  

i've had two AS's before and liked them both, and the other pistols i carry orshoot in matches are DA/SA.  i should probably KISS and consistent.

frye

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
P3000

here is a link to some pics for the P3000.. I guess it was shown by H&K in France at some military show...

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (banddr2 @ Feb. 01 2006,20:53)]Uncut, the answer is yes.  Once the striker is released, for what ever reason, the slide must come back about a quarter inch to reset it.  So you would have to clear the round and start over instead of trying for a second primer stike.
Why I would not want a QA for a carry gun.. then I rather spend extra and get the LEM of the H&K ... not that I ever shot one.. and like said before I am soooo new to this all but done a lot of reading...

Besides the price.. the H&K P2000sk is a very nice looking gun (and palnned in DA/SA) I'd like to shoot once.. but from what I heard there is no range program from H&K so no guns to loan at the range here.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yes, H&K are pricey, but very nice, especially the p2000 with the LEM trigger. Other than polymer frame, second strike incapability is the only trait a QA shares with a Glock. But some are of the opinion it is better to dump the bad round, than take the time to double strike it, just in case the double strike fails. Bad things happen and Can go either way. I personally have had ONE failure to ignite on factory ammo in thousands of rounds I have shot. It was a WW white box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts