Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a brief search and could not find a thread on this topic, so is it OK to dry fire the P99c? This was asked on another forum abut the XD, and the unanimous response was that it would not harm the gun. Is the same true for the P99 and P99c?

Thanks.

Ron

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Depends on who you ask. Here's a link to a previous post on the same topic, where you'll see both suggestions for the use of snap caps and admissions that occasional dryfiring doesn't seem to affect performance:

http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2891&highlight=dryfire

Some folks believe that long-term dryfiring can damage a pistol. The same cannot be said about the regular use of snap caps while practicing. "Better safe than sorry" might well be applicable here.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i drfire regularly,but use snap caps.it doesnt hurt the pistol.if in doubt,just ask Walther.:D
I know that this will appear to be a basic question to many, but how do you use snap caps? Do you load a magazine with them, or just put one in the chamber? I think I know how I would use them in my revolver, but am unclear about my P99c.

Thanks.

Ron

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
U put 1 in an empty mag. Then, U pull the slide back and let go - like if you were loading a real round.

You dry fire once - then pull the slide back just enough to recock the gun w/o ejecting the round. U do this over and over.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
U put 1 in an empty mag. Then, U pull the slide back and let go - like if you were loading a real round.

You dry fire once - then pull the slide back just enough to recock the gun w/o ejecting the round. U do this over and over.
Thank you. I appreciate the quick and most helpful response. I am off tomorrow to get some snap caps..

Ron

·
Registered
536 Posts
Do it like Ship suggested; don't just open the slide, drop a round in the hole, and slam the slide shut. Doing that can damage the extractor... always load via the mag.

thorn

·
Registered
30 Posts
+1 to Thorn.

Slamming the extractor home on the shall casing can damager it. It can be done, but I've always heard it's better to load via the magazine to avoid it.

Also, I regularly use snap caps. I've heard mixed things about their need in modern pistols, but paying $10 a year to use them up seems like one of the best investments against damage.

M

·
Registered
858 Posts
i see you already have your answer but i will write my opinion. even if the guns original manual states that you can safely dryfire(which i have never seen any manual say yes,go ahead dryfire it as much as you like) unless there is some specific reason of it's design that you can do so,i still wouldn't.

allways use snapcaps.the reason why is that without a round or a snapcap in the chamber the firing pin or striker doesn't have the primer to hit which also limits its travel.the snapcap atleast acts sort of like a buffer. so if there is nothing in the chamber and you hear "click",what is the firing pin hitting? it still hits but not what and where it should. this causes undo stress on the striker,especially in the long run.

if you have a pistol with a hammer,you can also place a thick rubber o-ring right where the hammer strikes. i actually prefer this method with hammer fired pistols. i try to place the o-ring with the firing pin right in the center so it doesn't even make contact with the rubber. its really great to smooth up the trigger a little and even after a hundred pulls the firing pin hasn't moved or been touched.

i am absolutely not going to mess around with the trigger on the p99.i think it is perfect just the way it is but for practice snapcaps do the trick.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
If you have the P99-AS trigger you will probably want to smooth out the DA as well as the SA. 500 snaps in double-action while practicing to hold the pistol steady against the ten-pound squeeze is what I did.
Our Super Moderator Uncut has further advice on using snap-caps. Check his final post in this thread.

http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5591&page=2&highlight=snap+caps

Russell

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do it like Ship suggested; don't just open the slide, drop a round in the hole, and slam the slide shut. Doing that can damage the extractor... always load via the mag.

thorn
Got it. Thanks. Will do.

Ron

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One more question, if I may: I assume that they don't last indefinitly.How many strikes before they need to be changed? Thanks.

Ron

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
One more question, if I may: I assume that they don't last indefinitly.How many strikes before they need to be changed? Thanks.

Ron
Depends on the gun and snap cap - it's really just your observation.

As the firing pin makes the depression deeper and deeper - ya gotta basically take an educated guess as to when it is too deep. At some point, the depression will be big enough that the pin is no longer making contact. Then, it is worthless and U would toss it away and start with a new one.

Maybe 100? 75? WHo knows... I've never counted...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Depends on the gun and snap cap - it's really just your observation.

As the firing pin makes the depression deeper and deeper - ya gotta basically take an educated guess as to when it is too deep. At some point, the depression will be big enough that the pin is no longer making contact. Then, it is worthless and U would toss it away and start with a new one.

Maybe 100? 75? WHo knows... I've never counted...
Thanks, Shipwreck. That helped.

Ron

·
Registered
169 Posts
dont forget to load up your mags as well with snap caps,it gives you a feel for a fully loaded magazine.this is good when you are practicing realoading.it makes a big differance.there is a noticable differance btween an empty mag. and a full mag.

with the P99 as you dont have to keep racking the slide after every shot(dryfiring),its TDA,atleast if i recall correctly you dont.with my GLOCKS i do.but P99 i didnt think you had to,not the ones i used to owned.:confused:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If you are anal about your P99 (and most of us are:D ) then use snap caps, they are a good training tool and expensive. However I do not personally think they are necessary unless you plan on thousands of dry fires. And even then it may take tens of thousands to actually break the spring or pin. I do not use them, and havn't in about 15 years with never a problem, but I only dry fire to check out the action occasionally or my trigger control. I don't sit around watching TV snapping my trigger all day. So I am all for them if you want to spend the money.

·
Registered
169 Posts
ShipWreck- said:
Yes, U do not have the rack the slide IF U want to use the DA pull.

ok,its been awhile,but you can still dryfire in SA without racking the slide...yes?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts