·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, what all I am using:
P99AS .40 S&W (12rd mag version)
Trijicon Bright & Tough Nights Sights
PMC Bronze 165 grs. FMJ-FP

Now to the problem: (FYI: it has been some time since I have shot this pistol)
Just got the night sights installed today. Naturally I wanted to go straight to the range and try em out! I use Federal HydroShocks (I forget grains) as my carry ammo and have had very good results, before the night sight install of course. I don't have much money available at the moment so I decided to pick up some ball to zero in the new sights, so I wouldn't have to replace my carry ammo. Went with the PMC because it was inexpensive. I went to the indoor range (first time) here in Fairbanks. I put a target out to approx. 25 ft +/- and fired six shots. They landed low and left. I made a 1/4 left (counter clockwise) turn and sent out the next target. With the adjustment, the POI was was now farther right and closer to the center, but still low. Two more left turns and the POI was pretty much center below the bullseye. Below, being the operative word. I sent out another target and was shooting low and left AGAIN! Now rather angry (I don't usually suck this much), I sent out another target and this time was shooting center, but still low. Out of the 72 or so rounds I shot, only about 10-15 hit in the black and only 1-2 were dead center. That is the gist of it.

What I think I know:
First and foremost, I had a couple energy drinks during the day and was a little shaky. I was also, for some reason, sort of nervous. Probably just because I was shooting somewhere new with a bunch of people I don't know. That probably played the biggest role in my horrible shooting.
That's what I thought was the problem while at the range (lack of fundamentals), but upon arriving back at the house I decided to do a little digging to see if it was more than just shooter error. I found a couple things that may have also played a role (shooter error is still probably the biggest culprit). These will be detailed in my questions. (I also noted that the rear sight has some play in it, left to right and also seems to wiggle back and forth on an axis)

Questions:
Was the the target too close?
Was my sight picture incorrect? I was lining up the tops of the front and rear sights (dumb) and not the dots, but if I had lined up the dots the barrel would need to be dropped, lowering the POI further.
Is the PMC junk ammo?
Are these night sights made for the newer model P99's? Mine was purchased back in 2010 from a friend (don't know when he got it). In the research I have been doing I have seen a couple P99AS .40's that look slightly different from mine, but I don't exactly know how to articulate to you guys which one I have exactly (is there a significant marking or something that differentiates the separate models?).

I guess that is all I can think of right now, though I feel like I am leaving something out...
Sorry for the long winded post, I just wanted to be thorough in my description. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any potential solutions.

·
Registered
693 Posts
http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/faq-pps/21804-poa-left-low.html

Traditionally, left & low (for a righty shooter) means something wrong with your trigger pull.

At 25', bullets should be hitting whatever is behind the front sight if the sights are aligned. Stop messing with the windage, pick center and go with it.

Work on your grip and trigger fundamentals, these are going to affect your shot than anything else. It's not an M40A4 and you're not shooting fleas and 700yds, don't worry so much about ammo, curvature of the earth, and speed of light. :p

·
Premium Member
14,076 Posts
+1 to what the Agent said. And to reiterate....Walther uses sight image no. 3 (see below). Yes the sight capture/adjustment method used by Walther will result in a little wiggle (left to right).....not enough ot worry about. I would say the pistol is shooting where you aim it. Use sight image no. 3 and work on your grip, triggle pull and follow thru. And RELAX....when I go to the range and there's a bunch of other people there, I just grin and think to myself 'Hey, watch this'.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips, both of you. I will be returning to the range today and putting them into practice, but first I am going to do some dry fire drills at home. Also, I will not be drinking any energy drinks, lol.
If anyone else has anything to say on this matter, feel free. The more info the better IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts