Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the market for. 22 rifle and still debating between ruger 10/20, marlin, and walther G22. I realy want to add G22 to my walther collection. Even a $400+ price tag vs $200+ for ruger is not an issue. I just want a quality 22lr. I've heared some people have accuracy issues, and it wil not like high valocity rounds such as CCI STINGER? Please help me to make a right choice.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
The G22's record is spotty at best. It's a Umarex product, and that doesn't speak well for it. If you want a reliable .22 caliber rifle, get a 10/22 and don't look back. The bottom line is that you might get a G22 that works; and then again, you might not. But the Ruger is going to work, now and later. Seems like an easy call to make. FWIW, I'm a big Walther fan who doesn't own a G22 but does own, and happily, a 10/22.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
CZ (from the Czech Republic) makes some real nice .22LR rifles as well... I have a beautiful Walnut stock CZ-452 Lux with iron BRNO peep sights that's as nice as any .22LR rifle I've seen or shot.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
... Please help me to make a right choice.
It all depends on whether you want a rifle or a toy.

If you want a rifle, Searcher and Aoxo have made excellent recommendations.

To which I would add others, all of which I own and like, including the Browning .22 (take-down auto) and the Russian GM-333 (straight-pull bolt-action imported by EAA). Others you'd have to find used, as they are no longer made: Winchester 62 pump-action, Browning T-Bolt (1st model, straight-pull bolt-action), Remington Nylon 66 (semi-auto) or Winchester 63 (auto).

M

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
The G22's record is spotty at best. It's a Umarex product, and that doesn't speak well for it. If you want a reliable .22 caliber rifle, get a 10/22 and don't look back. The bottom line is that you might get a G22 that works; and then again, you might not. But the Ruger is going to work, now and later. Seems like an easy call to make. FWIW, I'm a big Walther fan who doesn't own a G22 but does own, and happily, a 10/22.
Yes, I came very close to buying one in the past - really wanted to. But any research I did on various gun forums never really made it seem like a gun I wanted to take a chance on.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
If you want to enjoy the quality that made Walther famous and set them apart from others, go KKJ. ...
I thought of that, too, after I posted above but figured somebody else would mention the KKJ --the only objection to which is that it is about 2-3 times the cost of the Umarex Joke. The OP did say that cost was not his primary concern, but the price of a KKJ is up in rarefied atmosphere.

Belatedly I also thought of my Marlin 39 lever action-- really the last of the old breed of the American blued-steel & walnut guns.

And even a beat-up or altered Remington 40X or Winchester 52 with no collector value left can be a superior foundation for a bolt-action sporter.

My first gun was a little Mossberg M152 7-shot semi-auto carbine (still have it) and it's still a better gun than the G22.

M

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Excuse me, I read too hastily and just noticed this. Why is the G22 even under consideration?
I just think that some folks, unaware of the current scope of the Walther brand, think that the name Walther is synonymous with high quality, which of course used to be the case... until Umarex and S&W...

There are many high quality .22LR rifles out there - some mentioned in this thread - mostly older models, that far outshine most of the current crop of new rifles. And at a price point that's cheaper than the G22. The fact is that " they don't make 'em like they used to."
===================

BTW, I shoot my buddy's Mossberg 142-A (1950 vintage) all the time , and love it. His, however is missing the folding forend. I did a repair on the rifle recently for him and snapped a quick pic of it while I had it...

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
A major reason why corporate raiders acquire an old and respected company is to slap its trusted name on cheaper, inferior goods that can then be sold at inflated prices. Name and tradition are shamelessly flogged by the new owners, who usually had nothing to do with the previous company and often close the original factory and move production elsewhere. When disappointed consumers finally get wise and sales drop off, the company and its depreciated trademarks are spun off to a new corporate owner to finish squeezing the lemon dry. By then the name means nothing, and the quality that made it famous is only a distant memory.

You want examples? Just look around you.

M

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Mike has a phenomenal point. Take Bridgeport milling machines for example. A while back, a company by the name of Textron got their greasy paws on this beloved name and ran it into the ground. The machines weren't of known Bridgeport quality, although they looked the same and such.

I think Umarex did to Walther what Textron did to Brideport before Hardinge salvaged them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seven years late, but still going to reply in case there's others out there that might have the same question as the OP.

I've owned and shot my G22 for several years and enjoy it very much. In all the years I've shot it, it's been very reliable — not failing any more than other quality .22lr semi-autos. I feed it everything from bulk white box to expensive target rounds. With a 4x32 scope, I'm within 3" at 100yds off a bench.

I think it looks cool — I like bullpups. It's fun, compact and comfortable to shoot. And it gets attention at the range.

But I'm also very 'type A' about maintenance. I clean and maintain my guns diligently. And I'm trained and operate them proficiently.

This is probably one reason why my g22 runs well. Yes, it is a total PITA to clean, and parts/service might be an issue if I need it, but for me, for what I want the gun for — which is to have a fun, unique, cool, easy-to-shoot hobby gun for the range, the hassle it takes to clean it, is worth it.

Cheers to you all!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think it looks cool – I like bullpups. It's fun, compact and comfortable to shoot. And it gets attention at the range.

But I'm also very 'type A' about maintenance. I clean and maintain my guns diligently. And I'm trained and operate them proficiently.

This is probably one reason why my g22 runs well. Yes, it is a total PITA to clean, and parts/service might be an issue if I need it, but for me, for what I want the gun for – which is to have a fun, unique, cool, easy-to-shoot hobby gun for the range, the hassle it takes to clean it, is worth it....
I have one, too, but rarely use it because it is not field stripable for cleaning. I clean whatever I can get to through the ejection port. I removed the stock once for a better cleaning.

My Umarex/Beretta is just the opposite, probably easier to clean than an AR15 or bolt action rifle. The stock folds to the side, the trigger assembly drops out, & the bolt comes out the back.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I've got 2 G22's and both are fun to shoot and are fairly accurate. Reliability is good, when they are clean. Once they get dirty, reliability goes down hill and they are a pain to clean. They are fun to shoot though! You don't want to shoot it weak handed though. The charging handle will tear up your face.

If you want a really accurate 22lr, get a Vudoo!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts