Walther Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Nope. All Walther P99s, regardless of caliber, are 100% made in Germany. There was a very limited run back in the 90s where S&W made the slide & barrels for some .40s.

They also made the SW99, but that's a different beast altogether.

So, an "all German" P99 is about as common as they come. They are very nice guns! :D

Reactions: RPK and BessonGuy

·
Registered
447 Posts
There were some .40 S&W slides made by Smith and Wesson. Those slides can be identified by the lack of German proofs.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
From what I've heard, that limited run was only 5,000 .40cal pistols with a German frame and American slide and barrel. So I'd say an "American" P99 would be rare.

Also, I remember that Walther would take in one of the 5,000 pistols if the owner was not satisfied with the slide and barrel being made here, and would replace it with an all German P99 if the owner insisted. I don't know if they still offer that today, but I'd guess that it would make finding an American P99 even more rare.

·
Registered
24 Posts
From what I've heard, that limited run was only 5,000 .40cal pistols with a German frame and American slide and barrel. So I'd say an "American" P99 would be rare.

Also, I remember that Walther would take in one of the 5,000 pistols if the owner was not satisfied with the slide and barrel being made here, and would replace it with an all German P99 if the owner insisted. I don't know if they still offer that today, but I'd guess that it would make finding an American P99 even more rare.

If I recall correctly, all the "American" made P99's where the Military version (OD Green)

I happen to own one of these :cool:

·
Registered
68 Posts
The 5000 or so American P99 .40's had the slides and barrels made by S&W and mounted on a Walther frame. The serial numbers on these P99's all start with 46xxxx. I spoke with S&W about this years ago when I bought one of them. They would not confirm an exact number but they did say it was late 1999. This is one that I own.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to revive a decade old thread, but I assume the rarity warrants it.

Today, I purchased a .40 cal Walther P99. I was looking everywhere for the proof markings as I have owned Walther .22LR rifles in the past and know what they look like. My new to me firearm is not OD Green. It is all black with zero proof markings anywhere on the slide. The frame, slide and barrel all have the same six digit serial number starting with 46xxxx. It reads Walther USA LLC Springfield, Ma.

Did I just find a pretty rare gem?

Would Walther be willing to swap out my slide and barrel as stated in an earlier post?

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
If the slide was not refinished, then I'd assume that this is one of the "American" slide and barreled P99 .40S&W pistols if there are no import markings. But it has been over a decade since I've seen one.

The "American" P99 pistols had a stainless slide and barrel whereas all other P99 pistols had/have a carbon steel slide and barrel. This isn't a guarantee, but try putting a magnet on the slide and barrel. Some stainless steel pistols/barrels will not be magnetic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Contacted Walther today. Two separate employees assured me every P99 ever made was made in Germany, but some were imported by S&W because they did not have a Walther location yet in the US.

That still doesn’t explain a lack of German Walther proof marks nor does it explain why it says Walther USA LLC Springfield, MA. Most imported S&W models had German proofs and stated Smith and Wesson (the importer) Springfield, MA on the front of the slide.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Copied from internet

In 1998 Interarms folded as a company. Family fighting within the company. S & W later worked out an agreement with Walther in Germany to take over USA production. The agreement would not start until 2000 or 2001. Thus, the remaining inventory from the defunked Interarms had to be finished and assembled and sold. S&W along with Walther formed a "dummy" corporation of Walther USA, LLC to finish off the remaining Interarms guns.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts