Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get into suppressed shooting. Walthers are my favorite handguns. I own a PPQ M2 with a standard, unthreaded barrel that holds sentimental value to me (father purchased it for me).

When I started thinking about switching the barrel with a threaded version, I noticed that the serial number on the barrel would no longer be present. I understand this serial number has absolutely no purpose in the US.

Having said that, the idea of not having this code on the barrel bothers the crap out of me when I could purchase a threaded version of the PPQ and retain the serial number. It is irrational, but I can't get over it for some reason.

Has anyone experienced a similar silly hang-up about something, potentially even the exact issue in question?

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
It is irrational, but I can't get over it for some reason.

Has anyone experienced a similar silly hang-up about something, potentially even the exact issue in question?
I agree with your statement above (in bold). Get over it.

Just as MGM....answer to second question is 'nope'.

I've got plenty of aftermarket (Jarvis) barrels....some threaded, some ported. I like em'.....no worries.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with your statement above (in bold). Get over it.

Just as MGM....answer to second question is 'nope'.

I've got plenty of aftermarket (Jarvis) barrels....some threaded, some ported. I like em'.....no worries.
The Jarvis barrel solution seems to solve all of my problems. Do you recommend them over the factory barrels? I can/have researched this question but I am curious about your particular opinion.

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
Jarvis makes some of the finest barrels available. They also offer a 'hand fitted' option, if you're so inclined. I've always opted for the 'drop in'.....no complaints from me. Tight lockup and accurate.

Here's a pair of Jarvis threaded barrels on a couple of 40's.

I understand this kid just ordered a threaded barrel for his P99. Right now he's practicing his [email protected] look he'll be using in the Walmart parking lot. While his buddy in the background is getting in a little target practice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jarvis makes some of the finest barrels available. They also offer a 'hand fitted' option, if you're so inclined. I've always opted for the 'drop in'.....no complaints from me. Tight lockup and accurate.

Here's a pair of Jarvis threaded barrels on a couple of 40's.

I understand this kid just ordered a threaded barrel for his P99. Right now he's practicing his [email protected] look he'll be using in the Walmart parking lot. While his buddy in the background is getting in a little target practice.

I just cracked up in a class. Was not expecting that. Thank you for the input.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The Old and Flatulent One strikes again!;)

Reactions: PPS1980

·
Premium Member
8,651 Posts
Of course you could look around for a PPQ First Edition....that way you'd have a threaded barrel with a matching serial number...:)

·
Premium Member
8,651 Posts
LOL you are right! MY Navy Q has a threaded barrel sitting in the case. I completely forgot about that.

I'll need to check the number on it I don't think they both have the same number...

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
Mine is all matching. Then again, mine was factory with the threaded barrel.. ;)

Here's 2 of the three Q brethren:
(serial to show what I'm saying)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep, it's occurred to me also. And annoyed me.

Other choice would be to send the threaded barrel out to be laser engraved with the serial number. https://satxlaser.com/pricinginfo/
Now THAT's a fine idea that had never occurred to me. Suddenly a threaded barrel for one of my P99s seems much more likely.

Thanks,
Whisper

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I think I'd feel much worse in regards to the hang-up of adding and/or removing anything serial number related on a firearm. If you ever use the firearm defensively, you may be required to explain why you were messing with serial numbers on a defensive pistol.

I'd suggest using the money saved from not taking off an old serial number and laser engraving a new one into a new barrel, on ammunition, and if you don't like the barrel with mismatching serial numbers that much, then I suggest you shift your focus into putting enough rounds through the barrel to wear it out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I'd feel much worse in regards to the hang-up of adding and/or removing anything serial number related on a firearm. If you ever use the firearm defensively, you may be required to explain why you were messing with serial numbers on a defensive pistol.

I'd suggest using the money saved from not taking off an old serial number and laser engraving a new one into a new barrel, on ammunition, and if you don't like the barrel with mismatching serial numbers that much, then I suggest you shift your focus into putting enough rounds through the barrel to wear it out.
Well, I would still use money to get the weapon into a suppressible configuration... and I am not strapped for cash to where I need to decide between guns, accessories, and/or ammo. But, I understand what you are saying. I am not going as far as to have the barrel engraved. Not to say it is not a good idea for the right person, but I would go the Jarvis route first.

TL;DR: Agreed, shoot more, worry less.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts