Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PPQ 460 Rowland.

The only thing better than a PPQ 45, is a more powerful PPQ 45. The 460 Rowland conversion takes one of the finest 45 acp's available to the next level. Mid level 44 magnum ballistics in the autoloader that we all have come to love.

The guys at 460 Rowland had tried a PPQ conversion a little while back but just could not get it to run reliably. But, like myself, Thomas hates to let anything beat him. He told me that he was willing to try again.

So I called up DPM for a custom heavy recoil reduction system tailored to the power of the 460 Rowland cartridge. DPM knocked it out of the park. Their recoil reduction system was the missing link in the creation of the PPQ460. not only does it make the gun run reliably, it keeps the slide velocity down to very reasonable levels. so much so that the PPQ460 runs a standard mag spring. no extra power spring is required. the guys at 460 Rowland were impressed by how well the PPQ now runs with both Rowland ammo and 45acp.

I am going to put a few rounds through this monster and then send the conversion parts to imaoldfart to test drive.

2020051195190534.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,880 Posts
I love hotrods. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: Looking forward to shooting this bad boy. I figure if I can shoot it, ANYBODY can shoot it, cuz I'm old and weak.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
Should be an interesting range report from both of you...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just got back from shooting it and, uhhhh....no. after thomas told me it ran like a sewing machine, he must have meant a broken sewing machine. about every 3rd rnd is a nosedive into the ramp. a stiffer mag spring would probably fix that. but the case bulging is downright scary. if you know what a glock smiley is...this thing is making t-rex smileys. we are talking bulging halfway around the case.

2020051295215115.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried some 45 acp 230 +p's and they were flawless, but barely ejecting. the brass was landing at my feet. one even landed on top of my head. I will still soldier on with the hot rodded ppq. get some rowland brass and start at 45 super levels and bump the load up til the gun is in it's happy place. the tittle will still be true.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Best of luck to you. I was bummed to hear you were having bulging cases. That is scary whether in a semi auto or a bolt action. Heck I get a little wary when I start pushing and flattening primers in my hot rifle loads. Just gotta do what you said, back off the powder a dash. Still really cool man, happy for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after further inspection, the ppq45 barrel has a rather generous chamfer on each side of the feed ramp to guide the round into the chamber. the pressure is molding the case to the shape of the ramp and chamfer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts